DR1at its best and at its worst

Ladies and Gentlemen,
As many newbies, if dont feel like commenting most all the posts, because I simply do not relate. Newbies are by essence new, but by no mean empty of essence. Be kind, be open. You might have been perceived as a newbie somewhere and you survived, so do not deprive those who come here and express themselves as fishes, because among them are survivors.
Thanks

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Normally the only newbies that have a hard time are those that are experts in their own mind.

DR1 might be hard or a little tough at first, but the information is 1st class and you will not find a better group of informed individuals when it comes to the DR.

We have a huge pool of knowledge here, the largest on planet earth. Learn the culture and it will reward you greatly ;)

May 12, 2005
Normally the only newbies that have a hard time are those that are experts in their own mind.

DR1 might be hard or a little tough at first, but the information is 1st class and you will not find a better group of informed individuals when it comes to the DR.

We have a huge pool of knowledge here, the largest on planet earth. Learn the culture and it will reward you greatly ;)

Sage words from Robert.

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
I agree...as a 'newbie' here not so long ago, I found people extremely helpful and I've even made some great close friends through DR1 since moving back in the summer. I tend to agree that those that jump on the 'ego trip' band-wagon to start (ie: massive generalizations about Dominicans, the opposite sex, etc.) tend to get burned but it's sometimes kinda deserved :)

Treat others as you would like to be treated and you'll always be ok. Welcome to DR1!

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
Like anywhere else, sometimes the experts are only experts in their own minds. Hang in there. You'll learn quickly what is really going on.

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
As a " newbie " . I had an experience not very long ago with a post where I was insulted by a " regular " , I responded in kind, and was threatened with being banned , the person who made the " threat " admitted that the regular was wrong, but as a " newbie " I was supposed to show the regulars the utmost respect, meaning take unnecessary crap because I haven't earned the right to tell people who insult others where to get off. I gave my opinion, and the person didn't agree with it, and instead of voicing their opinion, insults were unnecessarily slung. That type of environment isn't conducive to new people becoming a part of the forum. We all have experiences and opinions to share and they should be welcomed, not met with scorn, derision and disdain because one feels their " seniority " affords them the right to castigate and insult.

If the regular was wrong and insulting, his status should afford him no special privilege of being able to abuse others because he has more posts than I do ( I have been here a couple of years, I just don't post much as I am in and out of the country ). I have been in the D.R. as a resident for going on 5 years now, and have just as much experience as anyone else.

I think that " newbie " status shouldn't be a flag for others to heap abuse on them as if they don't know what they are talking about. Being married to a Government Official here, my knowledge could be helpful to those looking for answers, or assistance but I would hesitate giving it if I had the same experience again.

I like DR1, and as a previous poster stated, there's a wealth of information to be had here, some right, some wrong, and some well .... but this gauntlet that " newbies " have to run in order to be respected is a little off putting. We should all be equals here.

Last edited:

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
As a " newbie " . I had an experience not very long ago with a post where I was insulted by a " regular " , I responded in kind, and was threatened with being banned , the person who made the " threat " admitted that the regular was wrong, but as a " newbie " I was supposed to show the regulars the utmost respect, meaning take unnecessary crap because I haven't earned the right to tell people who insult others where to get off. I gave my opinion, and the person didn't agree with it, and instead of voicing their opinion, insults were unnecessarily slung. That type of environment isn't conducive to new people becoming a part of the forum.

I guess you have to earn your stripes....
It probably would't be a gang worth joining if anyone could waltz straight on in. ;
And anyway, this isn't supposed to be a democracy - more of a "benevolent dictatorship" or "private business"?
;)

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
It probably would't be a gang worth joining if anyone could waltz straight on in. ;
And anyway, this isn't supposed to be a democracy - more of a "benevolent dictatorship" or "private business"?
;)

It would be worth a lot more if common courtesy and manners were practiced on a more regular basis. It's hard to find a thread where someone isn't insulting someone else. As the saying goes, you get more honey with sugar than with S***. Manners and civility is worth a lot more in this world. Common sense dictates that if you can't say something to a person's face, it isn't worth saying. A lot has to do with upbringing.

Como_un_cameron

Jan 8, 2011
To the Hole with the regulars.

I mean, I like to read the newbies stories :)
And the comments of the regulars are like reading a newspaper. (read regulated)

Time for a new success story, or a I was burned story anyway.

In my "humble" opinion those stories have a way of generating visitors and replies from different angles.
Visitors should mean $ in R's pocket.

Probable getting ahead of myself right now.

Blame it on the Calafornian wine :(
No presidentes for sale aqui

Salut

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

Why is that? We are all united by 3 things: great interest in the Dominican Republic; desire to benefit from an excellent source of information about the Dominican Republic; and a willingness to be of assistance to others when we can.

Whether you are a first-time poster or a long-time poster should make no difference. This is not a college fraternity with some sort of elaborate initiation period. I would like to think the people who come to this board are more mature than that.

I've been on this board as long as anyone and I certainly don't expect to be treated like some sort of super jock.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Why is that? We are all united by 3 things: great interest in the Dominican Republic; desire to benefit from an excellent source of information about the Dominican Republic; and a willingness to be of assistance to others when we can.

Whether you are a first-time poster or a long-time poster should make no difference. This is not a college fraternity with some sort of elaborate initiation period. I would like to think the people who come to this board are more mature than that.

I've been on this board as long as anyone and I certainly don't expect to be treated like some sort of super jock.

I am not saying it is right; just that it is human nature.

jaiallen.

You are all be equals here in the eyes of the moderating community.
If you have a problem with a post just report it and a Moderator will look into it an make changes it warranted.

Just like
Como_un_cameron who posted a funny song, which magically disappeared, because it has no value on the subject.

Last edited:

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011

I think Ken has a perfect point, here, and I myself - as a newbie not long ago! - was offered some really helpful advice from him and other long-time members of the forum. I was also thinking that some people, when they're under the sort of 'protective veil' of the internet, can put on a different face than in person. It's unfortunate but true.

In my opinion, most of those members that are on regularly - and subsequently have 'Gold', 'Silver', etc. memberships - tend to offer some great advice :) You'll see that soon enough, I am sure of it! :)

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I was also thinking that some people, when they're under the sort of 'protective veil' of the internet, can put on a different face than in person. It's unfortunate but true.

It's the same on most boards. Some people turn into "cyber bullies" when they are sitting behind the screen....you meet them in person and they are the polar opposite. Take everything on the internet with a grain of salt and one will be happier.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
This kind of interaction is less than a generation old.
I am sure people will figure out what to do with it soon enough.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
DR1 is the same as any messageboard on this planet. DR1 is a great source of information but you have to learn how to read between the lines.

Yes, there is a die-hard group of people who have nothing else to do in their lives but read DR1 and reply to every post. Give it a couple of months and you will easily recognize them. They are the ones who reply to almost every post and pronounce themselves experts in every field. I could give examples, but would only get banned. My only advice is to try to look behind their facades, and you will be surprised.

On the other hand, there is a very large group of people here meaning well, and giving worthwhile info. Discover those and enjoy their advice...

My 2 cents worth... ( well, I could have saved some newbies thousands of dollars...)

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
unfortunately there are no perfect answers to anything, some people think they can bully people into agreeing with them, its just a grown ups play ground really in here.

People generally never change their personality, a school bully will probably carry on being one all his life and someone that gets walked over will carry on getting trampled