Booking:here or there?

cacobaka

Mar 14, 2010
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone knows if it would be cheaper, to book at an all-inclusive hotel for a few days once I get to the DR (December 28th ish) or to book online. I'm looking at spending a few days in a hotel in Playa Dorada with around 5 people for the new year.

Thanks!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The Christmas/New Year holiday period i s a popular time and it used to be that you had to book early to be sure of a room. But the past couple of years have been very slow and this year unlikely to be a peak year. So my suggestion is to wait as long as you can, rfrequently checking the internet to see if there are any packages or room specials being offered by the hotels you are interested in..

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
and there is also the possibility that all 5 of you may not be in the same hotel if you're looking for 5 rooms, be prepared for that. but as long as you're in playa dorada, that should be ok.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Use Hotels.com, always loads cheaper than the hotels site and the hotel on spec. I doubt there will be an issue for rooms in PD, that is the problem no?

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone knows if it would be cheaper, to book at an all-inclusive hotel for a few days once I get to the DR (December 28th ish) or to book online. I'm looking at spending a few days in a hotel in Playa Dorada with around 5 people for the new year.

Thanks!
If you want to spend New Years Eve, try to get in to Lifestyles in Confresi. The best party on the North Coast. Not expensive for what you get. Spent last New Year's eve there and hopefully this year again. The food part is 50/pp per day with an extra 50/pp for the party. Top shelf booze, great food, all the champagne you can drink. Class fireworks (The best I've seen in this country) As for the cost of the room, it depends what you select.

Feb 7, 2007
I would recommend you using German travel sites and German tour operators (you can book hotel only online), most likely you would be able to get the cheapest rates there.

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
Will the booking be done by a Dominican or a non-Dominican?

i have had dominicans book for me and they always get the same rates if not worse than what i find online. I heard that local dominicans get a better price but i have yet to see it.

cacobaka,
book everything online, and call the resort before you travel to confirm everything is all set. Do not try to book once you get to D.R. You will get a worse rate (not by much) and you will not be able to haggle or negotiate because you will not be doing it in your native language.

In my experience you want to deal with the planning phase of your vacation as little as possible when you are actually on vacation.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I tend to agree, as far as touristy things go I've yet to see a Dominican get a better price than I can on anything, especially accommodations.