Bad debt in the DR

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"BUENA SUERTE"
Are you the "loaner", or the "loany"?
Unless it is more than 40,000 pesos,don't bother.
You must spend a loooooot of time in the DRcourt system,and pay your lawyer a small fortune,and you could end up tired,broke,and still not get your money!
NEVER,NEVER,loan money in the DR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
640px-Luca_Brasi.png

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Ever heard of "kneecapping". Its too late but dont lend money, especially in the DR. Its gone.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
How about pawn shops? Do they exist here? They are called casa de empe?a in other plaes. Milady doesn't know what I'm talking about. I brought a few old cameras and a computer to sell here.
Der Fish

Compra Ventas, there are more of those than restaurants in the DR. Won't be hard to find one.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
How about pawn shops? Do they exist here? They are called casa de empe?a in other plaes. Milady doesn't know what I'm talking about. I brought a few old cameras and a computer to sell here.
Der Fish
Check you PM's

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I had an expat try to stiff us. We ended up going to the Dominican equivalent of Small Claims Court for resolution with ultimately positive results, although we lost a couple of hundred in the "compromise" process. But the same thing happens in the states where the judge and Masters expect some to get resolution...

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
What is the Spanish (Dominican) word for Small Claims Court? Never heard of it.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
What is the Spanish (Dominican) word for Small Claims Court? Never heard of it.
I'm not sure it's exactly like Small Claims because decisions aren't binding. It's more like arbitration. However, if you go through the arbitration process and don't live up to the agreement which is recorded with the local Fiscal, the loser has very little standing in an actual court.

It'scalled Juzgado de Paz, which I interpret as a Justice of the Peace.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
We loaned the money out. He is a doctor and builds houses, also operates a drug store and has kinda a hardware store. He has left the country without even telling his own family. We've known him for 5 years as well as his family. AND yes its well over 40,000 pesos. I'm sure you can see the egg on my face from there.