Streetwalkers to get their street, Red Light district...

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Streetwalkers to get their street
3E69BC2A-4CD1-419C-B1E6-B2F1A5C3905C.jpeg

Santo Domingo.- The Chamber of Deputies Justice Commission will hold public hearings to discuss the bill would create specific zones for sexual workers, or the so called ?red light district.?

Commission president Dem?stenes Martinez said the hearings will be held in Congress?s National Assembly 10am Friday, when any citizen or organization can state their view on that topic.

Speaking in Congress, the lawmaker said a definitive date to introduce the bill in the Chamber has yet to be set, but noted that the piece will be dealt with carefully.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/local/2011/11/2/41496/Streetwalkers-to-get-their-street

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
It works well in Amsterdam, is well protected and the girls pay tax as independent business women/men, so why not. Although I know why not, it will become an utter disaster zone as it couldn't be policed as well.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I MUCH PREFER "Delivery" to "Street Venders"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Where are the unofficial red light districts in the Capital at the moment. I see some consider ElConde as such but to be honest I am more than comfortable to be walking around that entire area with the family, early to late evening without even coming across anything that looks obviously like a prostitute. In fact the only place I ever see them in obvious parade is on the Malecon beside the garage area and in those streets around the bottom of Gazcue, even then not loads of them. Maybe it is as I do not go looking but El Conde certainly is not Red Light central as some have stated, not in my eyes anyway.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
are we admitting there are street walkers in santo domingo at last - this is a step forward

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
A 'Red Light' district in Santo Domingo is like a water park at the beach. A place to corral non swimmers.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Staunchly catholic Dominican Republic mulls red light district

Santo Domingo.- Several organizations and representatives of sectors that defend women’s rights went to the public hearing in the Chamber of Deputies Justice Commission Friday, to state their view on the proposed bill to create a red light district in the capital.

The Integral Orientation Center (COIN) rejection the proposed legislation, saying it violates human rights, the Constitution and as discriminatory, and suggest instead that Congress allocate Budget funds so the sexual workers can have access to productive activities.

But the Santo Domingo Hotels Association stated its supports calling prostitution an activity that need to be controlled, while Haina township councilwoman, Jackline Montero, accusing the police of shaking down sexual workers for their money and forcing them to have sex for free.

Today’s hearing is the first for the bill submitted by deputy Esther Minyetti, to ban sexual workers from neighborhoods, historical monuments and commercial centers nationwide. The second hearing was scheduled for next Friday.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/lo...c-Dominican-Republic-mulls-red-light-district