Golfing in Puerto Plata in February?

Chris Wysocki

Nov 8, 2011
I'm staying at Lifestyle Holiday Vacation Resort in February. Lifestyles Vacation Club is offering to take us to and pay for golf at a 9-hole course near by called Los Mangos. I looked at it online and it doesn't look very nice. They also suggested Playa Dorada which is about 20 minutes away from the resort. This looks like a very nice course, but I would really like to play Playa Grande which I have been reading is referred to as the "Pebble Beach of the Carribean". My problem is the distance to Playa Grande from the resort. How far is Playa Grande from Cofresci Beach? Further, how much will it cost me to get there and back via taxi and is it worth it? I was thinking of maybe renting a car and making an excursion out of the trip. My brother-in-law and I would be golfing, so I was thinking that my wife and sister can come with us, drop us off at the course and they could go to a beach or something while we played. Is this a viable option in that there are things for a non golfer to do in the area?
Any assistance/comments is greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
playa grande is very far. about 2hrs drive from cofresi on dominican roads and among crazy dominican drivers. not sure it is still open, thou.
come to los mangos here in costambar and leave your women in a brand new SPA we have. i am sure they will love it and you will have a peaceful game.
give it a go and if you do not like it you can take daily trips to playa dorada :)

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
you should make a day trip out of it, the women can go lay on playa grande beach for the day and you can golf on one of the nicest golf courses on the island...it is a little far, but the the roads are good, just be careful especially when going through Gasper Hernandez......have fun, and if you need someone to golf with, let me know.....

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Playa Dorada is a decent course and only 20 minutes from your Hotel. The Taxi ride to Playa Grande is very costly as is the car rental. Los mangos might not scratch your golf itch, too small. Are you bringing clubs? Balls and stuff are costly and the rental clubs a bit run down.
The Playa Grande (if open) is very nice and the nearby beach is very nice. Just a long ride away.
Try my brother Elias for a Taxi Quote 809-842-5557 out and back. I Don't recommend driving to anyone.

luzcace

Aug 19, 2004
www.luzcace.info
playa grande is very far. about 2hrs drive from cofresi on dominican roads and among crazy dominican drivers. not sure it is still open, thou.
come to los mangos here in costambar and leave your women in a brand new SPA we have. i am sure they will love it and you will have a peaceful game.
give it a go and if you do not like it you can take daily trips to playa dorada :)

Also Costambar beach is very nice, quiet, exspecially during the week, sure the girls will enjoy it, have a few cold ones on the beach while you have a game of golf,or as mentioned spend the time at the Spa, on hole Nr. 5 just send the caddy over to the supermarket for beers. You also can have lunch the end in one of the many restaurants.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
January 1st 2012 Playa Grande will only have 9 holes open while renovation begin on the back 9.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
You will be very happy playing Playa Dorada. Although not a worldclass course, it certainly is well maintained and challenging to most. Plenty of water on the course. The caddys are very good, so I would recommend walking instead of a cart. The clubhouse is also very nice for lunch and the local expats who are members are very friendly and will often ask if you want to join them to make a foursome. If Playa Grande had 18 holes open, and I had a day to kill, it is worth the trip and money to experience it once. Much like playing Teeth of the Dog at Casa de Campo, worth the money once.
Los Mangos in Costambar has been upgraded this year, but is not on the level of a championship level course. If you are in Cofresi and are bored in the afternoon, it may be worth playing to kill the afternoon.

Chris Wysocki

Nov 8, 2011
Thanks to everyone for the comments/suggestions. From what I have read and heard, Playa Grande is just one of those courses that if you have the chance to play you have to play it, so I guess I will have to keep an eye on the renovations and take it from there.