City Market...new owners?

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
The stocks at my favorite supermarket have been low for some time so wondered what was going on at CM only to be told by a freind that she had heard some Russians were taking it over.

Any one able to confirm this and then to speculate wildly about how things will go once they do? ;)

Aug 21, 2007
The land was bought. The market was being operated as renters of the property. Until the owners of the Market learned what the new owners' intentions were, they stopped reordering goods. Recently, the new property owners informed the owners of City Market that they could continue renting the property and running the store. So now, Alexandra is busy bringing all her vendors back and developing stock again. Give them a chance. They will be back as strong as before.

Lindsey

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That's good news LK... thanks.

Maybe they'll order in some cookbooks by Adam Perry Lang.
Then everybody will BBQ as well as we do !!!

WW

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Might be hard to get back the clientel they lost. I stopped going because I could never do a full order.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We always slpit our visits between Playero and City Market but I agree it fell off very quickly from a great start

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I too would like to see it as an alternative to Playero as it is closer to me... but I simply stopped going as I could NEVER complete my shopping there & always had to go on to Playero or stop in Cabarete afterwards.

At various times in the last few months they had 1) no whole chickens 2) no sour cream 3) no broccoli 4) no tortillas 5) no cream cheese 6) no plastic sandwich bags 7) no raisins 8) no bell peppers and i can't remember what all else. They've never had a wide selection of most items (maybe 3 salad dressing flavors for example), their meats don't seem to be refrigerated well, as I've walked up to buy meats I've seen them take chickens out of the display case, smell them and throw them in the garbage. 10 seconds earlier they'd have sold the same bird to me!

For such a large and potentially nice set up, it's stocked more like an upscale convenience store - you can't really do a complete shopping trip. I'm beyond frustrated with them.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
The land was bought. The market was being operated as renters of the property. Until the owners of the Market learned what the new owners' intentions were, they stopped reordering goods. Recently, the new property owners informed the owners of City Market that they could continue renting the property and running the store. So now, Alexandra is busy bringing all her vendors back and developing stock again. Give them a chance. They will be back as strong as before.
Lindsey

That is seriously good news Lindsay...i look forward to the restocking!

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
As I live very close to them, I will give them another chance. But I have to say the bread I bought there today was horrendous...

Dec 21, 2008
I too stopped going there as anything I was looking for was never there. The last time was it...I wanted small plastic bags...nada....sour cream...nada...nacho chips...nada...waste of gas and time! When I was there about two weeks ago, the meat that was there was dried out from sitting in the display case and not covered, the produce looked suitable for animal feed...the fresh bread selection was/is terrible and with the number of flies sitting on it, I wouldn't buy it...and the prices are higher than the Playero. Even if they do restock and bring things back in, unless the prices go down, I won't be returning. Gotta shop where you get bang for your buck...or peso.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If the prices are higher than Playero, there would never be a reason to go there.

holland1974

Aug 13, 2008
Maybe if they could put the correct prices on things it would be better. I guess 10 times I have taken foodstuffs to the till to be told that the wrong price its actually about 50% more than on the label or on the shelf.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Maybe if they could put the correct prices on things it would be better. I guess 10 times I have taken foodstuffs to the till to be told that the wrong price its actually about 50% more than on the label or on the shelf.

One time anywhere in this country I would like to see a price that is not marked right come out in the customer's favor.