Question about visiting Santo Domingo

kendo

Jan 24, 2008
Hello all. I will be visiting Santo Domingo for two or three days for the first time in February. I am hoping to experience some of the nightlife and, let's be honest, flirt with some pretty young local ladies. My question: Given my objectives, is there any particular time of the week that's better to go--Thursday/Friday/Saturday or Sunday/Monday/Tuesday for instance--or does it make no difference. I couldn't tell from the guidebooks that I have read whether nightclubs only really get going on particular nights, though I did read that the Malecon is jammed on Sunday with locals.

Also, any recommendations for reasonable hotels in the Gazcue area near the Zona Colonial that wouldn't be averse to me bringing in a guest if indeed I manage to charm a lovely young lady into spending some quality time with me?

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Hello all. I will be visiting Santo Domingo for two or three days for the first time in February. I am hoping to experience some of the nightlife and, let's be honest, flirt with some pretty young local ladies. My question: Given my objectives, is there any particular time of the week that's better to go--Thursday/Friday/Saturday or Sunday/Monday/Tuesday for instance--or does it make no difference. I couldn't tell from the guidebooks that I have read whether nightclubs only really get going on particular nights, though I did read that the Malecon is jammed on Sunday with locals.

Also, any recommendations for reasonable hotels in the Gazcue area near the Zona Colonial that wouldn't be averse to me bringing in a guest if indeed I manage to charm a lovely young lady into spending some quality time with me?

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

The Riazor will allow trollops into your room no problem, Thursday, Friday, Saturday is as good time as any. Unless you speak fluent Spanish, locals will not deal with your charm without PESOS for BESOS!

kendo

Jan 24, 2008
Under 40

No, early thirties. Thanks for all your suggestions. Will try to time it for pay day, though looks like I will be there on a Wednesday, Thursday, Friday in between the two pay days. Hopefully there will still be plenty for me to do and some sweet young things to chat to.

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
No, early thirties. Thanks for all your suggestions. Will try to time it for pay day, though looks like I will be there on a Wednesday, Thursday, Friday in between the two pay days. Hopefully there will still be plenty for me to do and some sweet young things to chat to.

Monday - Segafredo (Happy hour until midnight)
Tuesday - La Espiral (ladies night)
Wednesday - Encuentro Artesanal (ladies night)
Thursday - Onno's / Shot's Bar (ladies nights)
Friday -Miloca / Onno's (5 beers / 300 pesos)
Saturday - Hard Rock (ladies night)
Sunday - Drink in a park ;)

In the most polite way possible, you can't be a creeper at these places, or expect sex, but if you are kind and polite, people will talk to you (your physical appearance is also important).

crenshore

Jan 13, 2004
Thanks EverythingJeff

Monday - Segafredo (Happy hour until midnight)
Tuesday - La Espiral (ladies night)
Wednesday - Encuentro Artesanal (ladies night)
Thursday - Onno's / Shot's Bar (ladies nights)
Friday -Miloca / Onno's (5 beers / 300 pesos)
Saturday - Hard Rock (ladies night)
Sunday - Drink in a park ;)

In the most polite way possible, you can't be a creeper at these places, or expect sex, but if you are kind and polite, people will talk to you (your physical appearance is also important).

Great intel and detail. Where are these places located. In Zona Colonial? Always like to add places to my scrapbook.

Last edited:

kendo

Jan 24, 2008
Bars in SD

Jeff, when you say physical appearance is important, do you mean I should wear jacket/smart shirt, dress shoes etc, or will a short-sleeved shirt, jeans, nice sneakers be OK? Apologies if that's a silly question, but have never been the bars in Santo Domingo and not entirely sure what to expect. I also promise not be a creeper, though I admit I am a sucker for staring at beautiful women!!

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
Where are these places located. In Zona Colonial, or nearby? I will definitely not be a creeper!!

Everything except Shot's Bar is in la zona. Shot's is also the place with the youngest group, so it may not be your atmosphere anyways.

Actually all these bars are walking distance from each other. The links are for their Facebook pages, which should have addresses so you can create a Google Map for yourself.

Also consider the following places. All in the same area;:

Kalimocho
FRAT
Bio
Cacibajagua
Proud Mary
O'Briens (irish bar)
El Sarten (cuban music, dancing)

La Ruinas de San Francisco is a place you can go sit and have a beer.

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
Jeff, when you say physical appearance is important, do you mean I should wear jacket/smart shirt, dress shoes etc, or will a short-sleeved shirt, jeans, nice sneakers be OK? Apologies if that's a silly question, but have never been the bars in Santo Domingo and not entirely sure what to expect. I also promise not be a creeper, though I admit I am a sucker for staring at beautiful women!!

"short-sleeved shirt, jeans, nice sneakers" is fine. No shorts in most bars. Mind you unlike most people here, shorts during the day is perfectly okay (you are a tourist after all). I'd stay away from cargo shorts tho.

What I ACTUALLY meant though, was how handsome you are :) If you are "ugly" and just looking to chat with people, it can be more difficult. I assume if you pay, it doesn't matter what you look like, although I have no experience in these types of transactions!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Jeff,..............................

How do YOU dress on "Ladies Night"????????????????????;)
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Santodomingo

Nov 27, 2011
I can confirm, in the DR it is very popular to go out on Thursdays as well as ofcourse Friday and Saturday, so try to come for a long weekend maybe.
RE: Hotel, id recommend the brand new Holiday inn hotel which has a great location!

Tibor Penzes

Nov 28, 2011
HEllo,i have one question?I want to move and live to DR.Can someone tell me is it difficult to find a job there?

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
I was being sarcastic, you can't easily answer that question. Yes, I live here.

Do you speak Spanish at all? Do you have or plan to get residency?

A Diploma in what?

If you are willing to work in a call center, you can get a job without residency, and make a wage where you can survive.

I seriously doubt your talents in sports will benefit you here.

Tibor Penzes

Nov 28, 2011
I have a friend there,dont have a residence,i speak solid spanish and perfect English.I play tennis and i finished univesity in my country.I will like to move there becouse here i dont have a job and ...blabla.Long story.