New King Size Bed

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
Does anyone know where to buy a new, FIRM King-Size bed/mattress in either Cabarete, Sosua or Puerto Plata. I'd prefere a commercial/Hotel mattress if possible, our current mattress (bought from Hildalisa after looking in about 10 different stores) is not supportive and uncomfortable after 3 years.

Kind regards

J

latitude19

May 29, 2011
I found Plaza Lama cheaper than most stores for many items, including mattresses. They have sales from time to time. Call and find out when the next sale will be- it will save you about 10%. I do not know what they charge for delivery. ..tom

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am sorry to say - santiago only. dominicans kinda like soft beds :)
we bought ours in santiago in plaza texas, i think. i prefer to pay more for the quality and santiago has a choice, at least...

Jan 17, 2009
If you do find a commercial/hotel type mattress in the area, please post back. I'm also looking for a king size, firm but with pillow top. I've been thinking about ordering from Ikea because they have a 90-day return policy on mattresses. I love the idea of being able to try a mattress. Unfortunately, there is no king size firm in their catalog.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Dominicans recycle old bed springs into "new" mattresses. They recycle the old metal springs and cover them with new material. If you want a decent mattress you have to pay. The cheap ones are recycled.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
We bought great beds at Distibudora Gonzalez in Puerto Plata. We think they are firm. They have not changed in the four years that we have had them.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Postopedio Reina at the North end of Padre Dubert (formerly Texas) in Los Jardines in Santiago.

i think this is where we did our shopping. they have pillow top mattresses too. tried but it was too darn hot.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I wanted to try one of those memory foam mattresses. They had one in king size in Hidelisa a while back. They seem very comfortable. Apparently you wake up in the same position you fell asleep in.

Although I had my reservations. Someone who had one, told me that they are not suited to tropical climates as they get very hot. I can't sleep if I'm too hot, so I went for a Postopedio with a pillow top instead, which i bought from Hidelisa.

I've also heard that nocturnal gymnastics can be a bit challenging in the memory foam mattress!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Beeza, we have a Tempurpedic [memory foam] mattress in both our homes - king here in NJ and queen in DR. I was so happy to find one in SD. The one in DR even has an ergo adjustable base with a wireless remote. Can't imagine sleeping on anything else. Try it sometime.

AE

Jan 17, 2009
Beeza, we have a Tempurpedic [memory foam] mattress in both our homes - king here in NJ and queen in DR. I was so happy to find one in SD. The one in DR even has an ergo adjustable base with a wireless remote. Can't imagine sleeping on anything else. Try it sometime.

AE

Where did you buy a Tempurpedic in the DR? If they're true to their commercial, it'll be ideal for us (one likes firm and hard, but the other needs firm with some cushioning for sleeping on the side).

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Where did you buy a Tempurpedic in the DR? If they're true to their commercial, it'll be ideal for us (one likes firm and hard, but the other needs firm with some cushioning for sleeping on the side).

My brother-in-law bought it for us in Santo Domingo, I'm not sure where, but I found this info on the web:

Tempurpedic - Call 809-683-1671 or email us at: tecnotempur@aol.com

But I think you're confusing Tempurpedic with Sleep Number beds - Sleep Number is the one that you can adjust each side of the bed individually.

AE

Jan 17, 2009
Thanks for the info, AE. I googled it but only found and ad from December 2010 where the company was looking for a rep for the DR. I'm not actually confusing it with the sleep number bed which does not have very good reviews. It think the Temperupedoc could do the trick because it is firm but not hard on the body like many firm mattress are. I hope is affordable here since it is definitely a expensive mattress.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
We loved our Sealy mattress in the states. When we were moving here I contacted Sealy Mattresses to see if we could get the same mattress. Mendel Mainster from Sealy put us in touch with Jessica who told us they didn't have the same mattress. We were able to go to La Casa Dominicana in Puerto Plata and bought a Sealy King mattress that we love. Know we got this mattress November of 2007 so the store and contact info may have changed. The mattress however is still great!

Here is the info from Mendel and Jessica both who work for Sealy:

In Santiago you have Sealy Mattress Center, a specialty store that carries a large variety of Sealy mattresses.
 It is located in Plaza Los Pinos II, Avenida Texas esquina Calle 6, phone no. 809-724-1212.
 Another possibility is La Casa Dominicana in Puerto Plata. The selection they carry is limited, however. If you have any question, you may call Jessica Mainster, 809-748-2777, or mail to her address
> co.rex@codetel.net.do
>

The Sealy Mattress Center addresses are as follows:
Plaza Las Americas
Winston Churchill, esquina Roberto Pastoriza
Bella Vista Mall
Av. Sarasota
I would be delighted to speak with you over the phone should you need any additional information. My office number is listed below.
Best,
Jessica Mainster
Vice-Presidenta Ejecutiva
F?brica de Colchones Rex
Sealy Dominican Republic
Tel.: 809.748.2777
Email: co.rex@codetel.net.do