Punta Cana to Caberete

Colin James

Dec 5, 2011
A, A
I shall be driving this route on Jan 2nd, anything I should look out for /avoid etc along the way ?
If anyone needs a ride message me.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
If you?re taking the new toll road from Las Americas airport to Samana during the daylight hours watch your speed. AMET are on patrol with their fun detectors pulling anyone doing more than 80kph.

Almost impossible to do in my Cayenne!

At night with a good set of headlights, knock yourself out and let rip!

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
I agree with Beeza, and something else to note re the AMET...although I'm fluent in Spanish I try not to let on...they just make it worse, at least in my case. I also admit to um, batting my eyelashes but then seeing you're a Colin somehow I suppose that won't work as well ;)

Just to be on the safe side, best not to keep too much cash in your pocket or wallet, because I've had them search through mine AND my phone!

Have an awesome trip! Cabarete's a good place to be :)

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
all of the above check...

second driver... check...

I never had any probs to drive 8 hours or more in Europe, at high speeds.

Here I am worn out after 4 hours...

If you?re taking the new toll road from Las Americas airport to Samana during the daylight hours watch your speed. AMET are on patrol with their fun detectors pulling anyone doing more than 80kph.

Almost impossible to do in my Cayenne!

At night with a good set of headlights, knock yourself out and let rip!

The Amet doing the speeding tickets on the new Hwy are always near the Capital side of the Hwy once you go past the Miles of palms in neat rows you can let it rip until you get up north in the National park, then they sometimes hang out in the steep grade areas where the hwy opens up for slower traffic, Other that those 2 spots its clear sailing and should take you about an hour to go south to north.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Also be aware that as another example of brilliant Dominican engineering they forgot to bank the turns which can be especially dangerous when the road is wet and in the mountain portion of the highway. Very easy to lose traction there and end up off the road.

Bob K