mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
We Quakers have an expression
"this Friend speaks my mind"

from today?s DR1 nees
Moreno: We're close to being a narco-state

The presidential candidate for the Alianza Pais party, Guillermo Moreno, warned that drug trafficking in the country has undergone a spectacular increase over the past 15 years. He said that "we are at risk of converting ourselves into a Narco-state," after saying that it (the state) has proved incapable of pursuing and knocking down the organized crime structure. He said that the Dominican Republic has gone from a transfer country to one of high consumption, which explains why the increase in trafficking has managed to penetrate the State's security agencies, take advantage of their structure and obtain a degree of protection from them. "The so-called intelligence of the State agencies that should be used to investigate and pursue these people, has been put to use in the drug trafficking activity and this is not a risky statement."

He cited the cases of the former army captain, Quirino Ernesto Paulino Castillo, who operated within the military structure, the Paya case, recalling that the Navy had guided and transported the drug shipments, instead of protecting the marine frontier. He also mentioned the case of the Atiemar Tower, whose owner, Arturo del Tiempo Marquez, was an honorary police officer and had penetrated the State security agencies. "He went as far as to secure loans of RD$700,000,000 for the construction of that tower." Moreno recalled that Jose David Figueroa Agosto had an ID card from the DNI and was supposedly guarded by police colonels, as well as having official license plates. In the Oscar Rodriguez case, his driver turned out to be an Army corporal.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Courageous statements. What's his solution?

Whatever happened to the Senador Wilton Guerrero? Seems he kinda flamed out, been very quiet lately...

New jeepeta and cabana?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Welcome to the new DR reality!
He only said what we have been complaining about on DR1 for many years.
I read the DR newspapers everyday.I watch the TV news shows everyday.
There is nothing new in his statements.
Too Bad!
Everyday there are "Narco" murders,kidnappings,and new members of the police,DNC,and military arrested for working with/for the "Druggies".
The DR is NOW,a "Narco State"!
Where do you think the money to build all those highrise apartment building,and shopping malls that "PICHARDO" likes to hype IS COMING FROM????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
The solution to this so-called war on drugs is simple......Legalise them!

Just like prohibition in the twenties, it has caused a crime wave that has cost so many lives and corruption within the system. Illegal alcohol spawned organised crime and the mafia. Which is now being perpetuated with narcotics.

I don?t use drugs and in my circle, I don?t know many people who do use either. So as far as I?m concerned if some loser crack-head wants to ruin their lives on this crap, then go ahead. I don?t care, it doesn?t affect me.

Look at this article on how Portugal has managed to reduce both drug usage and the effects of drug addiction with their liberal decriminalization of drugs BBC - Mark Easton's UK: How Portugal treats drug addicts

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Courageous statements. What's his solution?

Whatever happened to the Senador Wilton Guerrero? Seems he kinda flamed out, been very quiet lately...

New jeepeta and cabana?

Senator Guerrero is still in the picture, though he is showing himself to be an elder statesman as the election is in process. In other words, he's keeping quiet, because if he says anything negative, it will be attributed to politics rather than courage.

Forget the jeepeta and cabana. He has enough money through several wise business investments over the years that he isn't for sale. Plus, the man actually has personal integrity.

And for the record, I consider myself as cynical as the rest. I have met this man more than once and have been greatly impressed. Unfortunately, he has too much sense to run for president. I was really hoping Danilo would choose him as his VP candidate, but I think too many in the party would be opposed. Integrity would make them look bad.

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009

Just like prohibition in the twenties, it has caused a crime wave that has cost so many lives and corruption within the system. Illegal alcohol spawned organised crime and the mafia. Which is now being perpetuated with narcotics.

I don?t use drugs and in my circle, I don?t know many people who do use either. So as far as I?m concerned if some loser crack-head wants to ruin their lives on this crap, then go ahead. I don?t care, it doesn?t affect me.

Look at this article on how Portugal has managed to reduce both drug usage and the effects of drug addiction with their liberal decriminalization of drugs BBC - Mark Easton's UK: How Portugal treats drug addicts

Drug legalization will stop its commerce, but the social degradation would be a direct consequence of it. The more crack heads on the streets the less safe we would be.

We should go back to enforcing the law, as we did years ago. Back then, drug use alone was punishable with years in prison. Imagine what happened to traffickers.

Back then, only very few high rank officers and Generals were taking bribes. Now, every single recruit wants to participate.

It is as simple as law enforcement!

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006

Legalizing drugs in the DR would have minimal impact on the current state as the main problem is the transit on the way up north. Drugs needs to be legalized in the USA for countries like DR and Mexico to see any kind of difference.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Legalizing drugs in the DR would have minimal impact on the current state as the main problem is the transit on the way up north. Drugs needs to be legalized in the USA for countries like DR and Mexico to see any kind of difference.

That?s what I was alluding to. Saturate the market and the cartels will just fall apart.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Failed war on drugs

Drug legalization will stop its commerce, but the social degradation would be a direct consequence of it. The more crack heads on the streets the less safe we would be.

The drug addicts should be treated as having a medical problem, not as criminals.

We should go back to enforcing the law, as we did years ago. Back then, drug use alone was punishable with years in prison. Imagine what happened to traffickers.

The laws were enforced up to the point that the jails became full. What you propose is simply prolonging a lost war on drugs. Better to admit defeat and try another approach.

Back then, only very few high rank officers and Generals were taking bribes. Now, every single recruit wants to participate.

Here we agree regarding the degree of the problem. It is however a result of the failed war that there is so much money to be made almost nobody can resist the temptation.

It is as simple as law enforcement!
As I mentioned, this set of problems was caused the failed war on drugs in the first place. Prohibition DOES NOT WORK!

Here are some references on why the situation is bad and is getting worse because of prohibition:

Global Commission on Drug Policy

Help LEAP end the war on drugs:

LEAP | Law Enforcement Against Prohibition

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
LEAPs statetment on the failed drug war - Police speak out

We believe that drug prohibition is the true cause of much of the social and personal damage that has historically been attributed to drug use. It is prohibition that makes marijuana worth more than gold, and heroin worth more than uranium ? while giving criminals a monopoly over their supply. Driven by the huge profits from this monopoly, criminal gangs bribe and kill each other, law enforcers, and children. Their trade is unregulated and they are, therefore, beyond our control.

History has shown that drug prohibition reduces neither use nor abuse. After a rapist is arrested, there are fewer rapes. After a drug dealer is arrested, however, neither the supply nor the demand for drugs is seriously changed. The arrest merely creates a job opening for an endless stream of drug entrepreneurs who will take huge risks for the sake of the enormous profits created by prohibition. Prohibition costs taxpayers tens of billions of dollars every year, yet 40 years and some 40 million arrests later, drugs are cheaper, more potent and far more widely used than at the beginning of this futile crusade.

We believe that by eliminating prohibition of all drugs for adults and establishing appropriate regulation and standards for distribution and use, law enforcement could focus more on crimes of violence, such as rape, aggravated assault, child abuse and murder, making our communities much safer. We believe that sending parents to prison for non-violent personal drug use destroys families. We believe that in a regulated and controlled environment, drugs will be safer for adult use and less accessible to our children. And we believe that by placing drug abuse in the hands of medical professionals instead of the criminal justice system, we will reduce rates of addiction and overdose deaths.

From
Why Legalize Drugs? | LEAP

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Do you prefer the public beheading, firing squad, or hanging for anyone caught with any illegal drugs?

I vote public beheading. Firing squad should be for those who collaborate with the enemy, and hanging is for horse thieves.

Interesting thread, however, and I find it fascinating that we the discussion has brought us to polar opposites: legalization of drugs or execution for possession.

I think both have pros and cons. But I totally agree that it is high time the US and other prosperous countries realize the horrific impact that illegal drug trafficking has on other nations.

Last edited:

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
I suggest that DR copy the drug laws of these countries.

7 Countries You Don’t Want to Get Caught With Drugs In

Mano dura.

This is very true. Lots of Indians are in the prisons in UAE because they carried poppy seeds with them for their personal use , i mean few grams. It is lavishly used in the indian cuisines. You can even buy them in kilos in the local grocers. This poor people who go to UAE in search of work carry unknowingly that it is classified as drug in UAE. They end up in prison. Lately I noticed that there is warning in the regional languages about this in the airport.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Death, hanging whatever will not fix the problem. People will still take the risks as the reward is so high.

Take away the criminal element by legalizing drugs, simple!

Will it ever happen? I doubt it, lots of jobs would be lost and I'm sure we would see a collapse in apartment construction, ridiculous restaurants and mall openings in many countries :)

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
A huge part of the attraction of drugs, is the fact that they are illegal. A lot of our young people are therefore attracted to them.

I have seen this, and experienced this, first hand, when I was in the States as an exchange student. Alcohol was hugely popular amongst high school students as it was illegal for them to have it. The result was that when students got it, they would consume it in large quantities, and as fast as possible.

I came from a country where it was legal for a 16-year old to consume alcohol, so there was nothing new to it for me. The difference was, that at a party, all my fellow students would try to get plastered as quickly as possible, while I was sipping my beer (well, the water-like substance you Americans call beer) or my favourite, JD bourbon.

In Holland they legalised certain drugs, like marihuana and hash. This has certain advantages according to me. First of all, they control the price and the quality of the product, and secondly the amount people can buy daily. And the biggest advantage is that the wind was taken out of the sails of the drug traffickers.

Is it an ideal solution? No way, but it is a hell of a lot better than what most countries do.

BTW, yes I smoke, and yes I love my rum or beer, so yes I am an addict.... but I do not use or have need to use other drugs.