Historical Buildings in S?nchez To Be Saved

English translation

"SAMAN?: - The Ministry of Tourism, the government of the United Kingdom, the city council of this municipality, works altogether to recover the historical-cultural values of this community to turn it into destiny of interest for the tourists who visit the province of Saman?. "

"After the second visit of the Ambassador of the United Kingdom in Dominican Republic, Steven the Fishers, who next to the mayor of the municipality, Melvin Ramirez and the delegation of the ministries of tourism and culture, crossed the community to realise a rise of the attractiveness.

“In this second visit we have brought representing of British organizations, who are interested in reclaiming the patrimony of Sanchez, we are making a rise to see what we can make next to the Dominican government and the local city council”, said Fisher.

The community of Sanchez bears one close relation to the United Kingdom, there they were constructed the first railroad that it in principle connected with Vega and Saman?.

Also 30 houses prefabricated brought from England were constructed that constituted the town and today they try to rescue.

The main objective of the delegation that met is to study the possibility of recovering the Victorian houses, many of them in ruins, others rescued by proprietors and the city council as Our Mrs. of Lourdes is the church, constructed in 1924.

“We want to rescue these houses, with the support of the English government and Dominican, so that they are a genuine historical representation of the municipality and to use it like a tourist incentive”, Melvin declared Ramirez, mayor of the municipality.

The delegation also was made accompany with by the architect John winning McAslan from the first place the project by remodeling by the station by train King's Cross, in London, capital of the United Kingdom.

It hopes that after this second visit positive numbers are thrown so that the rescue of this city begins and begins to prosper with the development of this project of communitarian tourism."

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I can only hope that the GAlvan House is saved. It is a beautiful old Victorian type of house...I wish I could buy it and live out there@!!! It is beautiful...did I say that??

HB

Aug 19, 2004
This is good news and Sanchez deserves to be recognised as one of the more interesting towns of the Dominican Republic. Even the Lonely Planet guide says it is just a transport hub!

It is pity he didn't come about 10 years ago when the rail station and associated buildings were still standing. This would have made an excellent centre of tourists to visit - perhaps Sindico Chavan could explain why it wasn't worth restoring.
Attached are some photos from 1991 and 1996.
Sanchez DR - a set on Flickr

ninapup

Sep 16, 2004
This is great news. Sanchez has a flavor about it that I love and a large part of it is these lovely Victorian structures that have been begging to be saved for many years. I fear the wooden houses are doomed for the most part, they are the essence of the Old Caribbean. The above photos are wonderful, I have many that I've taken over the past 20 years but I can't access them here. It is too bad about the rail station that is an interesting piece of history.,

Aug 19, 2004
The Ambassador should also continue on to Monticristi which also has a remarkable collection of buildings. I hope Sindico Chavan doesn't get elected there!

Montecristi 2005 - a set on Flickr

The 3 storey warehouse is a fine example. I took this photo in 2005, is it still standing?

At the very least someone should create a systematic photo record of these buildings (i.e 19th and early 20th century vernacular architecture) as they are so easily lost - Moca, La Vega, Santiago, San Pedro still has some great examples. In fact this would make a good project for the UK Embassy to sponsor - similar to the web site developed by English Heritage. English Heritage Images of England: a searchable photographic archive of the historic buildings of England

Last edited:

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Im glad to see that the UK ambassador is setting up this project. Sanchez deserves investment. Since the railroad closed their only production has been shrimps. Maybe they could also renovate the pier? I think they should also look at restoring buildings in the towns Arenoso and Pimentel where the rail line also passed.