Good areas to live in SD? with no blackouts and 100-150K USD apartment prices

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
Hi there, Im considering moving to SD but I dont really know much about its areas.
I would like you guys help me a bit with this.
I would need to live in a good area, which means no mountains of trash in the streets, 24h electricity, not much crime over there, and some green parks, malls, supermarkets around.
I would like to know also if in those areas there are apartments around 100-150.000$ for around 90 m2.
Is it Naco or Piantini the areas I am looking for?
Any additional info is very welcomed.
Thank you guys.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Bella Vista, Los Cacigazgos, Mirador Sur fit your requisites as long as you have an inverter. The apartment prices you mention are on the low side for that area, but some of the older buildings might have something in that range.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
There are blackouts all over SD. Ask to see an electric bill, you want to live in a Zone "A". Inverters are not terribly expensive, and they kick in seamlessly. My brother-in-law owns a gorgeous condo in El Millon, but the traffic there is awful and parking even worse. If I were moving to a condo in SD it would be in Mirador Sur, Bella Vista or Gascue.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Los Casicasgos" is not surrounded by "Barrios Calientes"(Bad Areas),has no trash in the streets,has all the major sypermarkets,Malls,and little trafic problems.
There are NO "24/7" electric areas. I live in "Las Colinas" area of Arroyo Hondo."Supposedly" a 24 hour circuit!
Last week the power was off so long thst my batteries "died",and I HAD TO START MY GENERATOR!
"HEY!",MY POWER JUST WENT OUT NOW!
eVERY TIME YOU USE YOUR INVERTER/BATTERIES,YOU PAY "dOUBLE" when the power comes back,to power the house,AND to recharge your batteries.
My bill last month was 15,200 pesos!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
"Los Casicasgos" is not surrounded by "Barrios Calientes"(Bad Areas),has no trash in the streets,has all the major sypermarkets,Malls,and little trafic problems.
There are NO "24/7" electric areas. I live in "Las Colinas" area of Arroyo Hondo."Supposedly" a 24 hour circuit!
Last week the power was off so long thst my batteries "died",and I HAD TO START MY GENERATOR!
"HEY!",MY POWER JUST WENT OUT NOW!
eVERY TIME YOU USE YOUR INVERTER/BATTERIES,YOU PAY "dOUBLE" when the power comes back,to power the house,AND to recharge your batteries.
My bill last month was 15,200 pesos!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Sh*t!!!! Imma need Hippolito to make these pesos 50 to $1, STAT!

SHALENA

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Sh*t!!!! Imma need Hippolito to make these pesos 50 to $1, STAT!

SHALENA
Si llega ese lobo vestido de oveja, entonces los apagones ser?n sustituidos por los alumbrones.

?Entiendes? :rambo:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The only place you find true 24hr power are those areas served by private generators, Punta Cana, Samana etc.

The only way you are guaranteed 24hr power in Santo Domingo is to move into a building that has a planta (generator) and install an inversor (inverter) in your apartment. You should also check to see the schedule of the planta, many buildings do not offer 24hr coverage.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
You can check to see if the area you're interested has 24 electricity here: Portal de Circuitos - CDEEE

Roughly half of circuits nationwide are on the 24 hours plan.
I forgot to mention that if you click on the circuit code, you will get further detailed info on what goes on in each circuit.

Put special attention to % servicio and everything under that row, since that covers the amount of outages suffered in each circuit.

For example, this is a type A circuit that covers part of Piantini:

piantinitipoa.jpg

While this is a perfect example of a type B circuit somewhere in Santiago:

santiagotipod.jpg

Notice the difference?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I forgot to mention that if you click on the circuit code, you will get further detailed info on what goes on in each circuit.

Put special attention to % servicio and everything under that row, since that covers the amount of outages suffered in each circuit.

For example, this is a type A circuit that covers part of Piantini:

piantinitipoa.jpg

While this is a perfect example of a type B circuit somewhere in Santiago:

santiagotipod.jpg

Notice the difference?

I particularly like the "% Nivel de cobranza" row. For instance in March 11 (If I'm reading this right) they collected 124% of what they should have. Overcharging anyone? Does any client actually get any credit back? I doubt it.