Used bookstore/swap

andyr

Dec 14, 2011
Morning All

First time poster here. Visiting Cabarete mid Jan. Not really interested in wind surfing/kiting etc. I'm more a sit in a bar/beach/read a bit/watch the world go by kind of guy. To that end, are there any used book shops/swap in Cabarete, to save my achin' back from hauling a bunch down with me??

Thanks
andy

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
The BookNook in Sosua is a great place. Lots of books ...mostly 100 pesos...and you can trade them in and get 20 pesos back. You'll want to go to Sosua anyway to get a different perspective of the area. BookNookSos?a They were also talking about renting out Kindles. Or if you're bringing your laptop, you can download Kindle for the PC/Apple from Amazon.com and get e-books ...bestsellers can run a bit high $14.99 US but there are also loads of free and cheap e-books that you've always wanted to read... :)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
And, for those of you who have Kindles ( or any other e-reader I think), public libraries all over the US are now loaning electronic books over the internet through their webpages. You do need a library card, the rental is temporary, the same as taking out a regular book. You can also just bring your Kindle to the library and use their WiFi to download directly.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
At the risk of proving my ignorance if you buy a Nook and you go online from the DR and buy downloaded books? Is there a large selection?

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
Hey Andy!
There used to be a tiny hole-in-the-wall bookshop in Cabarete called Bill's Books...anyone know if it's still around? Also...if you pop into Friends Cafe, right in the middle of town (and really good muesli/yogurt/fruit breakie and lattes :) ) they have a somewhat decent book trading area...it's worth a once-over, at very least for convenience sake :)
Have a great trip!

bobe531

Mar 26, 2010
Not sure about Nook but my Kindle allows downloads of books purchased from Amazon. I was able to access my Amazon account while I was in the DR. Or you can download to your computer then transfer to the Kindle.

Bob E

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
For the nook you can down load books you have bought through B&N when in the DR but and a big BUT you cannot purchase books from them from the DR because of copyright laws if your computer has a DR IP address. We use an anynomizer (sp) program that hides our DR IP and gives us a US IP address. Then no problem. Just purchased 4 books yesterday doing it this way

Bob K

suzannel

Jun 7, 2006
Morning All

First time poster here. Visiting Cabarete mid Jan. Not really interested in wind surfing/kiting etc. I'm more a sit in a bar/beach/read a bit/watch the world go by kind of guy. To that end, are there any used book shops/swap in Cabarete, to save my achin' back from hauling a bunch down with me??

Thanks
andy

Friend's restaurant on Calle Principal in Cabarete now have a nice library where you can borrow books at no cost and have a nice breakfast and lunch at the same time.

umea

Sep 28, 2006
In Puerto Plata there is an English Bookstore/cultural center. Good selection of used, gently used. and new books. They specialize in books about the Dominican Republic as well as having lots of "good beach reads". As well they sponsor various discussions about life and culture in the DR. Last year I went to discussions about baseball in the DR as well as films and discussions of life under Trujillo. I saw a notice that between Christmas and Jan 6 they were having a book sale (all prices half or less) in order to make room for new stock. It is worth getting in touch with them -- address is in Puerto Plata calle Juan Bosch (between central park and the Melacon and the number is 809 261 7393 ( cell 829 455 6110) or email info@meetingplacepuertoplata.com