watch out for 2 guys on a motorcycle

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
It has become a routine to hear people getting robbed at gun point by young men on a motorcycles. This seems like the best get-away method which works rather quickly and without any notice. yesterday, 2 civil engineers were watching construction in front of a building (right in front of my office) at around 4:30pm afternoon. 2 young tigres approached them as if to ask them a question. Then one guy pulls out a gun and begins to take away their belongings; just at this time a lady came to ask them something and she was also relieved of her purse and jewelry. This has become a routine news and seem to be happening all over the good neighborhoods in capital. When I walk to my car, I make sure to look for tigres on motorcycles. I make sure I am not followed by anyone of them.
So just be careful and if they have a weapon, give them all they want. If you have a gun, shoot to kill. I would do that in a heartbeat. if anyone from his family comes to get me, they will meet my bullet the same way.
AZB

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Seems to be common in Latin American countries - passengers are being banned

1) Honduran Congress has voted to ban motorcyclists from riding with passengers in a bid to curb a spate of drive-by killings.

2) Guatemala has banned motorcyclists from carrying passengers in an attempt to crack down on drive-by murders by gunmen perched on the back of moving bikes. Skip related content

The Central American country is terrorized by violent street gangs who rob car drivers at gunpoint and kill bus drivers, among others, for failing to pay extortion fees. Hitmen often shoot victims from the back of a motorcycle, which lets them make a speedy getaway if traffic is heavy.

The law implemented this month also requires motorcyclists to wear brightly coloured jackets and helmets clearly marked with their vehicle registration number.

Flouting the law will mean a fine of up to $3,000.

Could the DR be next?

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
In Cali, Colombia (arguably the most dangerous city in the country at the moment), they ban motorcyclists from riding with male passengers (but apparently it's ok to ride with a female). Also, a complete ban on bikes from midnight to 6am.

May 12, 2005
Always good to be aware of your surroundings. Seems to me that these tigres are doing some Christmas shopping and now that the 13th salary has been or is about to be paid they know there is more money on people.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Just to reinforce AZB's point I have interviewed over two dozen victims of street crime and virtually all (one was robbed in a phony taxi) said two guys drove by on a motorbike then turned around. To be honest to my embarrassment I had my cell phone taken from my hand by a guy on a bike from the rear in a middle class area (villa olimpico Santiago) and I thought that it was a buddy goofing around at first as I watched him speed away. I am large and said to be scary looking (Ask Professor HB or AZB) and a lady that was there said I was lucky not to have been injured in a preemptive strike. ps the joke was on him as it was a no frills free one! Situational awareness is the key. Because virtually no one has much cash or jewelry anymore I would be very careful in an ATM withdrawal or in making deposits.

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
Always good to be aware of your surroundings. Seems to me that these tigres are doing some Christmas shopping and now that the 13th salary has been or is about to be paid they know there is more money on people.

I've been stopped more times by police this month so far, then in the past 18 months. Thankfully money only traded hands once.

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
Earlier this week there was a shooting incident around the Bella Vista area. Supposedly the victim failed to cooperate and they opened fire on him. And yes, you need to look out for suspicious looking characters riding in twos. I got mugged two years ago in the same manner!

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
1) Honduran Congress has voted to ban motorcyclists from riding with passengers in a bid to curb a spate of drive-by killings.

2) Guatemala has banned motorcyclists from carrying passengers in an attempt to crack down on drive-by murders by gunmen perched on the back of moving bikes. Skip related content

The Central American country is terrorized by violent street gangs who rob car drivers at gunpoint and kill bus drivers, among others, for failing to pay extortion fees. Hitmen often shoot victims from the back of a motorcycle, which lets them make a speedy getaway if traffic is heavy.

The law implemented this month also requires motorcyclists to wear brightly coloured jackets and helmets clearly marked with their vehicle registration number.

Flouting the law will mean a fine of up to $3,000.

Could the DR be next?

No.
Unfortunately.

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
This guy had his cell phone snatched by a motorcycle guy... The victim kicked the rear tire and the guy lost control and fell. The crowd on the street took care of the crook before police arrived lol

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
a puerto rican friend had his cell snatched while he was in a call. Iphone 3Gs. he ran after the guy yelling ladron ladron (thief). finally the crowd got a hold of him but the thief smashed the phone to the ground and broke it. The ass whopping proceeded until the police saved him. the kid's father had to pay 20K pesos to my friend; 15 K went to my friend and 5K to the police. case was settled but the kid got a good ass beating.
I love happy endings.
AZB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
a puerto rican friend had his cell snatched while he was in a call. Iphone 3Gs. he ran after the guy yelling ladron ladron (thief). finally the crowd got a hold of him but the thief smashed the phone to the ground and broke it. The ass whopping proceeded until the police saved him. the kid's father had to pay 20K pesos to my friend; 15 K went to my friend and 5K to the police. case was settled but the kid got a good ass beating.
I love happy endings.
AZB
Nothing like a little street justice to have a thief learn a lesson.

A few yearsago in Jarabacoa AMET was stopping motos as they came into town. One agent was a half block ahead pointing to the motos to stop.

One moto tried to run through the blockade. As he got to where the agents were actually stopping motos, one agent just blasted the kid right in the kisser as he tried driving by. Moto and rider went sprawling and he also got an ass whupping by the AMET agent.

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Be aware...even in Barahona!

I know several people (family, friends) that this has happened to in Barahona and Santo Domingo (27 de Febrero c/ Gomez!). In all cases they were armed, and in one there were three motos with six people! A few times, they literally had "nothing" of value and the robbers left disappointed. :laugh:

While you can't always prevent being singled out by these moto thugs, a few things to consider are:

Take a concho/taxi instead of walking, especially at night and early morning when there is no one in the street.

If you notice a moto with two guys drive by you two times or more, be alert.

If you think something is funny, cross the street and walk on the other sidewalk or go in somewhere.

Stick to well-lit areas with plenty of people on the street.

Don't use your phone on the street.

Don't flash a bunch of cash in a business or wear bling (you will convert yourself into a walking target).

Also, only ONE person I know that had this happen to them reported it to the police. All of the foreigners didn't think it was "worth it" to report their loss to the police, as it would take time and they assumed they would never get anything back. But I think it is very important to report so that police can be more aware of the problem and step up patrols.

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
My hubby was standing on the sidewalk in Santo Domingo responding to a text message. While he was responding a guy ran up behind him and ripped off his necklace , then jumped on a waiting motorcycle, and the 2 of them took off.
His necklace was very small:ermm: but they wanted it anyway. Lesson learned, stand up against a building when texting!

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
My hubby was standing on the sidewalk in Santo Domingo responding to a text message. While he was responding a guy ran up behind him and ripped off his necklace , then jumped on a waiting motorcycle, and the 2 of them took off.
His necklace was very small:ermm: but they wanted it anyway. Lesson learned, stand up against a building when texting!

The real lesson is not to wear and jewlery while in public!

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
This lady told me of two guys on a moto in Santiago that stopped her while she was walking. They told her to hand over the earrings. She gave the earrings to them and as they pulled away she yelled... Those earings are fake! lol

Lesson: Don't wear fake jewlery either lol

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Afternoon, JD is absolutely correct. One added thought never get in or on a vehicle during a robbery. Fall on the ground cry whatever. Do not fight if they are armed just don't leave the scene. What frequently happens is that the knuckleheads do not know what to do when they got you and that's how people get killed. And as any vet Military/Police/EMT etc. here can tell you death is forever.