Hedge Trimming (Caribbean Style)

Charlie Tuna

Dec 2, 2011
Just today on my way back from Playa Alicia i just noticed a guy trimming his hedgegrow with a big bad ass machete and he was very loose with it. If he lost his grip the machete would have taken someones head off clean.

Crazy and not surprised come to mind

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have seen whole trees being cut down with a machete, it's a universal tool :)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Two or three times a year , I put the jardinero on top of the Jeepeta and drive down the hedgerow.
He flails away up there with the machete ( the long one not the shorter thicker one).

The result is the straighest cut you have ever seen - perfection.
I am constantly amazed at their skills.

The hedge is cut in a straight, flat line, Disregarding the slopes and bumps in the terrain.

If you get a chance , watch any Dominican use a hammer.
They can use a full swing, at full arm's length and hit the nail on the head every time.

I have seen a 4" nail go in with 4 hits.

Now, if ever let go of that hammer......

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
A few years ago I used to drive thru our horseback riding trails with the Ranch pick-up with one guy in the back trimming left and right, my right hand on the steering wheel and left hand out the window with the machete to chop at what I could reach... nothing to it! I have, however, seen the results of accidental machete cuts when it skips off a rock or doesn't quite hit the mark. OUCH!

Charlie Tuna

Dec 2, 2011
Yes, they use it for that purpose, too.
What is your question?

donP

I knew you would love the post-- thats what. Maybe now you will be a bit more aware when you are walking down the street and a machete comes flying at your head. I might have saved your life ha ha

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we had once a client in the pharmacy with a really nasty cut on his arm. wide and deep, all the way to the bone. he was getting something for pain (has been attended in a hospital previously). i asked him what happened and it turned out that a husband of his lover took a machete at him after finding the two together. dude had enough luck to protect his head with an arm...