Single Young Female Travelling in DR -- Five Days

perfectday

Dec 28, 2011
Hi Everyone,

I'm going to visiting the DR for the first time next Tuesday till Sunday and am trying to figure out where to stay, how to get places, where to go etc. I'm technically going for a friend's wedding which is on Saturday and will be held somewhere in Santo Domingo so I don't think I can wander too far. Oh, and I also speak little to no Spanish, but I have this itch to explore wherever I go...

With that said I was hoping the forum could help me out with a few questions!

1. Where are the best places for a non-Spanish speaking, single female on a budget (who cannot rent a car) to go? I know I want to walk around Zona Colonial and somehow get myself to Jardin Botanico, but are there any other suggestions? I've seen the '10 Things to Do in 24 Hours' thread but given that I'll basically have 3-4 days to explore I'd probably need to flesh out my plans some more! I'm open to day trips as well!

2. Transportation from SDQ to Santo Domingo is best done by cab right, especially if I know no Spanish? I was poking around the forums to see if I could take a Caribe bus from SDQ to Santo Domingo but didn't find anything. Also the Caribe website is all in Spanish and when an error message popped up when I tried to explore my travel options, I just gave up.

3. How bikeable is the city? I am under 25 and therefore cannot rent a car but can ride a bike pretty well.

4. Any budget lodging/hostel recommendations near or in Zona Colonial to stay in?

Thanks!

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Hopefully your friend can set you up with someone (No I don't mean that kind of someone) to spend some time with you. Alone you're doomed.

Preston

Nov 13, 2011
Perfectday,

There has to be somebody at the wedding that you could hang out with. Under NO circumstances should you try to get around the capital by yourself without any Spanish, a first-timer, under 25, and without back-up! You are asking for a very miserable five days. The capital is not bicycle friendly, so please don't even think about that!

Good luck!

Preston

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Hopefully your friend can set you up with someone (No I don't mean that kind of someone) to spend some time with you. Alone you're doomed.

I agree with the guys.

If your friend is Dominican, he/she will certainly have a cousin or friend that would be willing to show you around. (Ditto on pick up from the airport.) Ask in advance, to have more options. They may be overly protective, but in the end that may be better. If you are with a Dominican from the capital getting around the city in carro publicos and guaguas is not that expensive, and certainly an experience in and of itself!

If more of the guests are American, then many will be getting taxis and such and you should be able to tag along. In any case, you'll have a much better experience in your limited time with someone to guide you.

perfectday

Dec 28, 2011
To clarify, my friend is not Dominican and I will be arriving alone. The wedding is fairly disorganized and she will actually be arriving the same day I will but probably later in the day. She is Haitian and speaks some Spanish. In retrospect I probably would have tried to save myself the money, time, and hassle and not go (not speaking Spanish is probably one of the most limiting factors!) but now that I've bought the ticket and promised to be a bridesmaid, I'm trying to make the best of things.

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
once you find a hotel the owner may have some one there that can show you and if you want to go around the beach there's people that speaks English any way. i always go there with no problem

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Try couch surfing, bring a gift for your host. Seems like there are some nice folks on there in SD who like to show people around, several speak English and have plenty of references. Great way to get to know a place through a local person...couch surfing is not just about letting someone crash for free, it's about sharing experiences and cultures.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
To clarify, my friend is not Dominican and I will be arriving alone. The wedding is fairly disorganized and she will actually be arriving the same day I will but probably later in the day. She is Haitian and speaks some Spanish. In retrospect I probably would have tried to save myself the money, time, and hassle and not go (not speaking Spanish is probably one of the most limiting factors!) but now that I've bought the ticket and promised to be a bridesmaid, I'm trying to make the best of things.

You can have a great time, even if you decide to "just" stay in the colonial zone. Some of my best travel memories happened when I was young, short on cash, and adventurous.

I'm going to send you a pm with another suggestion.

beastwood

Jun 30, 2011
The Colonial Zone is quite safe...that said

Certainly best to travel in numbers and with locals. Expect to pay a taxi $40 US from SDQ to your hotel in SD. Hotel Mercure and others are decent and under $100 /night. I stay in an Aparthotel for $26 /night on the Conde ...both are in the Zone. I will be arriving in SD on Jan 1st (I live in Boston) and staying with my wife north of downtown. As I will be in the area when you are, I will private message you....feel free to reply if interested I will send you my wife's mobil number... you can call us if you get stuck, or want referrals to reliable cheaper (non gringa priced taxis), etc. that can take you where you want to go around Santo Domingo. Have fun!!

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
how you doing beastwood i will be there my self jan 4 can you tell me any good hotels under 30 if you run into any thing the first day your there

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
Hey Perfect Day,

You sound like the adventurous type. I am sure you will have a blast! I am jealous, I wish I was heading down right now. I have a bunch of friends in Santo Domingo who could show you some spots that you could access without a car. If you are interested, PM me, I can hook you up with their contact info.

Forty bucks is the going rate from SDQ to the ZC. I like the Conde Penable myself http://www.condepenalba.com/prueba1/hotel.html The style of the place fits in more with the historic nature of the ZC. If you want even cheaper, try Ocean Breeze. Nobody rides bikes in Santo Domingo although I personally think the city is quite bikeable. Biking just is not in the Dominican DNA, unfortunately. Much of the year it is just too hot and muggy to ride a bike. But is also too hot and muggy to ride in a gua gua or a concho but hey.

Good Luck!
GG

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
If you stay in the zone colonial I don't see any problem taking a cab to the botanic garden, ask the price before you get in, and don't pay more than 250 pesos. Don't go their on the 6th, it's probably closed.

Near the colonial zone is the recently opened Playa G?ibia, there you van see how low and middle-low class spends their freetime (you can walk there from the zona colonial but then I would definitely go accompanied.

Also near the zone colonial is restaurant "El Conuco". A typical Dominican countryside restaurant with a dancing show and most days you can eat from the buffet or else from the menu. On Sunday's they have the Menu Dominical with special (lower) prices. I would recommend it, food is good, all Dominican plates, nice show, maybe a little overpriced (not on sundays)...

What else...honestly in my opinion there is not a lot to do or see in Santo Domingo, there are malls, parks, zoo, aquarium, but nothing special. Zona Colonial is nice though...enjoy.

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
Don't be afraid to go out and explore! I understand that people are giving you cautious suggestions but you would take the same common sense precautions in the Dominican Republic as you would anywhere else. If you only have 3 or 4 days, without a car, then you won't be able to wonder too far from SD but that's no problem! Check out this website: dr1guide | Santo Domingo | Dominican Republic

Some of the info is outdated because we stopped printing awhile back. You may be able to find some physical copies in the Colonial Zone but now the guide has morphed into a Ministry of Tourism publication with much of the same info.

Definitely check out the Colonial Zone, Botanical Gardens, SD nightlife, a baseball game if you're here in season. Might also be a good idea to visit a local beach like Boca Chica, Juan Dolio or Guayacanes. You can either hang out on the beach or do a day pass at Hotel Hamaca (Boca Chica), Hotel Esmeralda (Guayacanes), Barcelo Capella (Juan Dolio). Check out the website for ways to get to the beach and around SD.

For a budget hotel try Aparthotel Condo-Parque & Venus Cafe Bar - Santo Domingo - Dominican Republic Clean rooms, good location and internet. Couch surfing was a good suggestion as well.

Arthur Frommer once said "The less money you have to spend, the more you get out of your travels". Don't let others scare you into not exploring and experiencing.

perfectday

Dec 28, 2011
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I will definitely be following up on them as well as the PMs. $40 for a cab sounds really steep so I'll see if I can find some people to split the fare with me I guess...but thats good to know, I was expecting it to be half that rate. That's a shame that SD isnt taken to bikes but I dont mind walking either.

I am feeling way better prepared than I was just a few days ago, thanks :)

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
Hi Perfectday!

Well, first and foremost, have an awesome time. Whether or not you speak the language, I know you'll have a great few days. I was recently in Santo Domingo alone, staying in the Zona Colonial for a few days, and it was lovely. I do, however, recommend you find a friend to tour around with if possible...I only say that, not as a fear-mongering thing, but from experience...that it's better not to be alone :)

As a young, tall blonde, I had some small misadventures in Santo Domingo alone, nothing horrible but men get very close and try to talk to you/follow you and you either travel in a pack or keep your wits STRONGLY as possible :)

In my opinion, Santo Domingo is very un-bikeable...keep it at home, and walk around, enjoy the Colonial Zone and the local culture, and of course the wedding. Don't let men think you're alone, and lie if you have to (my husband is in the coffee shop right there / hotel/ car) really! Be careful and you'll be fine! Have fun!