Where can I buy "wood" laminate flooring?

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Does anyone know if SD has a "Lumber Liquidators" or similar store where I can find inexpensive laminate flooring? Would a ceramic tile store carry this? Thanks for your time!
Susan

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
I actually saw some ceramic tiles that were meant to look like wood. I was impressed by the quality. Have no idea where they came from, but I could ask, if you're interested.

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Yes-- I've seen those in the US and would love to find them here-- With laminate, we'd have to also install a sub-floor with some type of moisture barrier-- ceramic would be ideal..... I'll also check Dept. Americana-- thanks!

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
FYI you may want to reconsider installing any kind of laminate or wood flooring in a tropical environment because of the humidity... I know laminate is supposed to be better than wood in places like basements where it's humid etc.. but it's not as impervious as you think...I've had it in my last home in Canada, we have humid summers in Ottawa and even with a dehumidifier it bowed in my basement...and in the kitchen from the heat and humidity of the dishwasher lifted and split... I would hav ceramic or natural stone flooring in my whole house if it weren't so cold here. I've heard that cork or bamboo flooring are both excellent in humidity though if you want something softer than ceramic.

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
If anything i would look at bamboo as it is actually a grass, is very hard when worked into flooring and resists humidity much better than solid wood and especially the laminate flooring. Eco friendly too! I have installed the tile that looks like wood and it is not inexpensive. It comes in 6in by 18in and looks better when staggered but is not as easy to install and get level as square tiles are.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
There are a myriad of reasons why absolutely no one in the DR has laminate floors. All of which you will learn first hand if you make this mistake. Consider something else.

Jan 17, 2009
If anything i would look at bamboo as it is actually a grass, is very hard when worked into flooring and resists humidity much better than solid wood and especially the laminate flooring. Eco friendly too! I have installed the tile that looks like wood and it is not inexpensive. It comes in 6in by 18in and looks better when staggered but is not as easy to install and get level as square tiles are.

Any idea of cost of the ceramic tile that looks like wood? I'd love to have a bamboo floor but being close the beach, with my dog tracking sand all the time, I'd rather not. I heard they get scratched quite easily.

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
This is the line of tiles I have dealt with. They do not give prices but as you can see look very much like wood. If I had to guess I'd say around $3-4 a square foot. homeowners.floridatile.com/products/berkshire

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Laminate is a bad idea. If it is a high end house that is climate controlled then imported hardwood floors would be best. Just make sure your maid does not mop the wood floors with a bucket full of bleach.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Dominicans are "Hard Wired" to use "Bleach"!
The termites are "Licking Their Chpos",or whatever they lick!
They don't have a "Taste" for "Bamboo",however!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This is the line of tiles I have dealt with. They do not give prices but as you can see look very much like wood. If I had to guess I'd say around $3-4 a square foot. homeowners.floridatile.com/products/berkshire

Ben, those floors look gorgeous in the photo. I wish I had seen them before I re-tiled my kitchen.

Anyone know if these are available in DR?

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Thanks for the advice, all you helpful people! I'm taking a bus to SD lunes and will see what I can find at Americana--I still need the names/addresses of flooring stores to visit there.... :bunny:

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
it's obviously a spam post. sounds like it was written by a marketing person... probably was and pasted into the post.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
FYI you may want to reconsider installing any kind of laminate or wood flooring in a tropical environment because of the humidity... I know laminate is supposed to be better than wood in places like basements where it's humid etc.. but it's not as impervious as you think...I've had it in my last home in Canada, we have humid summers in Ottawa and even with a dehumidifier it bowed in my basement...and in the kitchen from the heat and humidity of the dishwasher lifted and split... I would hav ceramic or natural stone flooring in my whole house if it weren't so cold here. I've heard that cork or bamboo flooring are both excellent in humidity though if you want something softer than ceramic.

+ the way they clean the floors in the D.R. any laminate nor hard wood floor would last long