Can I get a disposable cell phone for a three week visit??

cocoa3c

Dec 12, 2010
Hi, I'll be back for a second visit and I'd like to be able to contact my Dominican friends. I was wondering if you can buy disposable cell phones to use for a temporary time in RD? If so, where would I get one? Thanks. I'll be mainly in the Puerto Plata region. Arlette :bunny:

cocoa3c

Dec 12, 2010
Thanks Derfish...So, the disposable phones are basic, but you could conceivably use it for a longer time. Maybe I'd give mine to my friend there.
Would you also happen to know what a better phone would cost there? Not a smart phone, just a decent regular cell?

As for minutes, I'd just be using it to text or talk to my friend in POP. Thanks again, A

Preston

Nov 13, 2011
Hi, I'll be back for a second visit and I'd like to be able to contact my Dominican friends. I was wondering if you can buy disposable cell phones to use for a temporary time in RD? If so, where would I get one? Thanks. I'll be mainly in the Puerto Plata region. Arlette :bunny:

Arlette,

When I realized that I was going to visit DR on a regular basis, I upgraded my T-Mobile phone and had the "old" one unlocked for use in DR. A Dominican friend got an Orange SIM for me and that has been my number for the past 4 years. it is a smart phone, but I don't need a data plan. If you don't have an old phone, you can get a new one inexpensively on eBay.

Preston

Preston

jim15687

Apr 25, 2011
I bought a unlocked blackberry on ebay took it down with me in November got chip and number .Phone cost me 28.00 us .chip was 100 dop and I placed another 500dop on it was there 10 days left with 330 DOP still on phone for credit.Orange charged me a deposit since I was visiting and stated they would refund me when I returned chip.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Arlette,

When I realized that I was going to visit DR on a regular basis, I upgraded my T-Mobile phone and had the "old" one unlocked for use in DR. A Dominican friend got an Orange SIM for me and that has been my number for the past 4 years. it is a smart phone, but I don't need a data plan. If you don't have an old phone, you can get a new one inexpensively on eBay.

Preston
Nice thing about T-Mobile is (or was at least, been awhile) that they will give you the unlock code for your phone after you have had it 3 months; perhaps less if you get the right person in customer service when calling about it. Just tell them you are going out of the country and need it unlocked; they will SMS or email you the instructions to unlock your phone. They say it can take a week or so, but I always got it within a few hours. And it's a permanent unlock. So, my policy was to unlock any and all phones I had with T-Mobile as soon as I could; who wants their phone locked.....nothing good about that!

bori116

Jan 10, 2012
Any phone with a chip or without can be switched over, the only problem is if you have a phone without a chip and you don't use it for over 10 months your number may not be good anymore, and the phone can not be used outside of DR any longer. Blackberries have become #1 due to BBM which does not use minutos and people are capable of sending messages as well as pictures to anyone else who has a blackberry for free. I have an unlocked Iphone that I use here in NY and when I go to DR I just switch sim cards and I'm good to go. A lot of people who travel just use one of those Trac phones you can get in 7-11 for 20 dollars, they work off a chip and can be unlocked very easily at any orange vendor.

les1

Feb 1, 2007
You can use your unlocked tri-band phone and buy a Claro/orange sim for 100 pesos or in larger town incl P Plata by a cheap alcatel on the street for 300 pesos + 100 for a sim

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Nice thing about T-Mobile is (or was at least, been awhile) that they will give you the unlock code for your phone after you have had it 3 months; perhaps less if you get the right person in customer service when calling about it. Just tell them you are going out of the country and need it unlocked; they will SMS or email you the instructions to unlock your phone. They say it can take a week or so, but I always got it within a few hours. And it's a permanent unlock. So, my policy was to unlock any and all phones I had with T-Mobile as soon as I could; who wants their phone locked.....nothing good about that!

Yes, I do the same! My experience with unlocking T-mobile's phones is that you need to have service with them for at least 60 days, AND have used the phone for at least 3 days. You can call right up and ask for the SIM unlock, then they will email it to you. I have noticed that they are taking between 24-48 hours to honor the request lately.

kristen

Jan 17, 2009
We bought a phone in POP 2 years ago through orange (basic) 20 us and re chip it when ever we go back 10 us as after 4 months of not using it the number is cancelled.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
As far as a 'disposable' phone...no one mentioned it but the Alcatels seem to be one of the cheaper phones you can get.