Private flight-in community in Santo Domingo

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Slide16.jpg

May 12, 2005
They have a town like this in Florida. I know people like planes but who wants to live on an active runway? Can you imagine the noise?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Will it be built?

The main issue I see is that of security and customs. Will they allow international flights to and from?

If they were to install immigration, customs and security then it could work. If not, then I don't think that there is a big enough flying community to support it.

It would become a drug runners pit-stop!

Nice idea though. If they built one on the North Coast I would invest in a heartbeat!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Will it be built? Hell Ya, how could they pass up on this "importing" opportunity?
As for living on an active runway, that is a small price to pay for the profits to be had.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
You can't land or take off from this landing strip for international flights, that's well known for this type of air community.

Why live there? If you own your small to medium plane it makes all sense to save big bucks on airport fees, buying fuel, etc...

Will it disturb the others sleeping in their homes? No, since there's a set timetable allowed for take off and landings.

Drug runners paradise? Yes, if they plan to walk themselves into the hands of the DEA and DNCD as a gift...

Will it be built? Not if, but being built...

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
Concept is interesting, but not very practical. Nice views of neighbors hanger.
Also, lose too much space to the runway...
Better to approach it for helicopters.... more practical given the size of the island, so small.
Also, with so many helicopters in the country we can finally find a place to house them.

May 29, 2006
Don't they have fly in spots like this in the Turks and Caicos among other islands? It's a fairly well proven business model.

May 5, 2007