Should I risk driving in Santo Domingo to IKEA???!!

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
I'd like to drive to IKEA and Ferreteria Americana from Las Terrenas, but several people have warned me not to even ATTEMPT to drive thru Sto. Dom and just take a bus...It looks like the stores are located next to major highways, and I need to buy and bring a bunch of "stuff"....I'd appreciate advice from those of you who've "been there/done that"-- Thanks in advance--
Susan

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I've done it. Its a snap.

The stores are beside each other and just off JFKennedy..... EZ off - EZ on.

You can't miss them. And with the toll road, the drive will be easy for you.

Just stay calm in the traffic....

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
I hate driving in the capital, but do it on a regular basis. You'll be fine. Take deep breaths and watch out for those damn public transport cars. Just remember: everyone on the road thinks that no one else should be on the road except them.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The trip to SD and back will be the most dangerous part of your trip.I have some "Rules" that I follow to make getting around SD a little less agravating,and faster.
1,Never go anywhere when it's raining,especially at night.Those "High Beams" reflect off everything!
2.I go after 9 am till about 11:30 am.Then from 1:30 until 3:30.
3.The "days" around "Paydays" are worse.1st.15th.,25th,30th.of the month.
4.Friday PM,stay home,if it hits a payday,worse.
5.Anyday after midnight.All vehicles will have a"DRUNK" behind the wheel.
6.From 15 Dec,until 15 Jan.Stay home! Dominican "LAW" states that everyone with ANY form of transportation,MUST, be on the road.AND! All Dominicans,residents,or those from "Nueba Yor"who are visiting,between the ages of 11 and 110,MUST drive drunk!
7. Never leave your house during "Semana Santa"!
"THAT'S ALL"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCccc

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
True .... especially the timing for mid-morning and mid-afternoon.
This will save aggravation.

Paydays for sure are worse.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Option B if you decide not to drive is to order from Ikea's website. For orders over RD$15,000, they'll deliver for free.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
those are good guidelines

The trip to SD and back will be the most dangerous part of your trip.I have some "Rules" that I follow to make getting around SD a little less agravating,and faster.
1,Never go anywhere when it's raining,especially at night.Those "High Beams" reflect off everything!
2.I go after 9 am till about 11:30 am.Then from 1:30 until 3:30.
3.The "days" around "Paydays" are worse.1st.15th.,25th,30th.of the month.
4.Friday PM,stay home,if it hits a payday,worse.
5.Anyday after midnight.All vehicles will have a"DRUNK" behind the wheel.
6.From 15 Dec,until 15 Jan.Stay home! Dominican "LAW" states that everyone with ANY form of transportation,MUST, be on the road.AND! All Dominicans,residents,or those from "Nueba Yor"who are visiting,between the ages of 11 and 110,MUST drive drunk!
7. Never leave your house during "Semana Santa"!
"THAT'S ALL"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCccc

I'm really starting to reconsider going down on semana Santa

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Bus/Coach is more eco-friendly. Gaguas in SD are frequent and only 15-20 pesos. Arrange delivery from major stores - everywhere in this island possibly free, possibly small charge. Depends on total order.
Save the planet and the DRs import bill- do not drive a vehicle with only 1 or 2 persons.
Taxi drivers are good in SD if you find out the price first.
pi2

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
You better make sure that your AC is in good working condition. You do not want to be stuck in traffic in the heat, and you do not want to have your windows open in stopped traffic. Too many cowboys!

May 12, 2005
Bus/Coach is more eco-friendly. Gaguas in SD are frequent and only 15-20 pesos. Arrange delivery from major stores - everywhere in this island possibly free, possibly small charge. Depends on total order.
Save the planet and the DRs import bill- do not drive a vehicle with only 1 or 2 persons.
Taxi drivers are good in SD if you find out the price first.
pi2

Dude, did you actually read the OP? They want to buy furniture at IKEA. Not easy to put on a gua gua or Caribe Tours bus. Reading comprehension 101 ol' chap.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Dude, did you actually read the OP? They want to buy furniture at IKEA. Not easy to put on a gua gua or Caribe Tours bus. Reading comprehension 101 ol' chap.
Ikea has delivery all over the island, as do all other major stores. If it is small items just take a taxi to the Samana terminal in downtown and the extra charge on the bus/gagua will be about 300 for a moderate sized item.
It is easy in Caribe tours also to ship large items.

Very easy.

Do not drive.

pie

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Yanadupi2,your constant twisted personal view on life is providing mis information to those on DR1 who live in the real World.
Why don't you move to India,become a "Yogi"(no,not the bear!) and survive on "air",and the dew that collects on your forehead?
"Semana Santa" in the DR is only good if,one you are a drunk,2,if you are going to stay at a family members house and never leave,3,you derive a sick pleasure from seeing how many Dominicans can find how many unusual ways to kill themselves.
Guess what I do?
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCcc
Gives "Spring BREAK" a new meaning!

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Yes, but on the practical matter, I had a friend who opened a juice bar, it was simpler for him to go by gagua to SD, order equipment , and await delivery. Hiring a car or pickup is expensive , gas costs, tolls cost, and SD is not easy to drive in if you are not familiar.
pi2

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Susan, I drive in SD, it's more the traffic that gets to me than anything else. Take the trip, you'll be fine, I've been to those stores several times, you'll be glad you brought your car when you see the nice things they have.

CCCCCCC, we extended our stay for this year just so we can be there for Semana Santa. Family congregates at our house, whether we're there or not, for the entire week, and we enjoy it! Younger ones spend a lot of time at the beach, day and night, we older folks just have a week of good food, good music, play dominos, etc.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
It obviously depends on how comfortable a person feels while driving in this country. For example, my aunt could NEVER drive here, she can barely handle driving in Canada in a none-busy city. My mom, however, learned to drive here and although didn't enjoy it, managed to get around fine. I learned to drive here and enjoy driving normally, although I do hate driving in Santo Domingo after having gotten used to Punta Cana. So I'd say, if you're a nervous driver that hates being in the middle of a lot of traffic and have never been to Santo Domingo, go for plan b. If you don't mind it and know how to drive well, then no sweat.