Electrical sector?s more than 2.0M paying customers tops IMF goal

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Santo Domingo. - The electrical sector surpassed the goal of 2.0 million paying customers, as the Standby Agreement with the International Monetary Fund (IMF) requires, the State-owned Power Companies (CDEEE) revealed Sunday.
The goal was to reach 2.15 million customers and the distributors surpassed that figure handily, reaching 2,162,770.
The CDEEE announced that Maria Altagracia Pab?n, 63, a resident of the sector Bello Campo, Santo Domingo East, was the 2.15 millionth customer, CDEEE CEO Celso Marranzini, and East Distributor Company (EDEEste) general manager Francisco Leiva paid her a surprise visit to award her with an electricity-efficient set of home appliances.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/ec...-more-than-20M-paying-customers-tops-IMF-goal
<ins style="display: inline-table; border-top-style: none; border-right-style: none; border-bottom-style: none; border-left-style: none; border-width: initial; border-color: initial; border-image: initial; height: 60px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; position: relative; visibility: visible; width: 468px; "></ins>

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Great so now they have no excuse as to why they don't provide power as expected. Wonder out of those 2+ million customer who is actually paying what they really consume. Plenty of people paying about 300 pesos a month for unlimited consumption because they happen to live in a "poor" neighborhood.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Great so now they have no excuse as to why they don't provide power as expected. Wonder out of those 2+ million customer who is actually paying what they really consume. Plenty of people paying about 300 pesos a month for unlimited consumption because they happen to live in a "poor" neighborhood.

The subsidy is better via BonoLuz than with the subsidy that's applied in general to the bill!

The faster they identify those homes that need the support, the better. And it's NOT as you say "unlimited" for RD$300 pesos, but a given Kwh service that gets cut when spent beyond the alloted.

Unlimited is what a whole bunch gets now, that just hang a wired to the power grid for free...

This is bay far the same the welfare system works in the US and UK, only that we don't given them money benefits to pay the charges but pay directly to the services themselves!

By the time the general subsidy is removed to the energy sector, all those that will get any type of assistance from the DR welfare system would be accounted for and able to make use of what we pay taxes for in the first place.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"It's the same in the USA and Canada"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NO!,it's NOT THE SAME in the USA and Canada!
It's much BETTER in the USA and Canada!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Guess my 15,500 peso a month will be going down now??????????????

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
I think you should use your gov't salary for what its intended for.....posting pictures on DR1

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
The subsidy is better via BonoLuz than with the subsidy that's applied in general to the bill!

The faster they identify those homes that need the support, the better. And it's NOT as you say "unlimited" for RD$300 pesos, but a given Kwh service that gets cut when spent beyond the alloted.

Unlimited is what a whole bunch gets now, that just hang a wired to the power grid for free...

This is bay far the same the welfare system works in the US and UK, only that we don't given them money benefits to pay the charges but pay directly to the services themselves!

By the time the general subsidy is removed to the energy sector, all those that will get any type of assistance from the DR welfare system would be accounted for and able to make use of what we pay taxes for in the first place.

Does the system really shut somebody off after they've breached a certain kw threshold? Does the system really have that level of 'micro-billing' and 'micro-monitoring'? If it did, surely they wouldn't have to send people out to read the meter every month..?

Feb 7, 2007

probably not!

This is a MN, US power bill from may 2010 (Touchstone Energy). They have two tariff brackets, 10 cents and 5 cents per kWh
http://www.peoplesrec.com/customer-accounts/images/bill.jpg
With dollar at 36 in 2010 it was like 3.60 pesos for the more expensive bracket, and 1.80 pesos for the cheaper one. In the DR, the least expensive bracket at that time was like 3.50 pesos and the most expensive one around 8.50 pesos. So no, CC, your bill is not going down, it will go UP! (after the elections). Don't worry, be happy. End of world is coming in December (or so they say) so they won't be abusing much more. Well, one end of world was supposedly coming yesterday 16/Jan or so I was told by some people with "revelations" and it didn't come. So who knows, maybe Dec/2012 won't be the end of world either. In that case I guess they will keep abusing .... .... RRRRRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUBBBBBBBBBBIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
Dec + Jan are low use months. The weather is cooler and we don't need the AC as much during the days and nights.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
showimage.php

Edes RD $ 4.8 Billion billed in January and collected RD $ 4.4 Billion

Report: lower distribution losses and increase customer revenues
SANTO DOMINGO. The energy billed by the electricity distribution companies in January of this year reached RD $ 4.858 billion, an increase of 16% over the same period last year, when it stood at RD $ 4,183.5 million, and receipts totaled RD $ 4,436.9 billion.

In EdeSur, the increase was 19%, in EdeEste, 15% and 14% EdeNorte, according to preliminary figures from the Dominican Corporation of State Electrical Companies (CDEEE).

The figures reflect an improvement in the distribution, which together with the reduction of purchasing generated power and sustained growth of the collections, has contributed to the increase of the Cash Recovery Index (CRI), which measures the performance of energy purchased by the Edes paid to service customers.

According to the CDEEE, the increase was due to the reduction of losses by the Edes that is derived from the works of rehabilitation of networks and low voltage are available to reduce illegal connections and improve the quality of customer service.

Also, for the implementation of telemetry in heavy users and customer acquisition previously subsidized under the Blackout Reduction Program (PRA).

CDEEE notes that the reduction of losses influenced the increase in energy billed and, simultaneously, the decrease of the purchase. In January 2012, purchased power decreased by 3% over the same month of 2011, after falling from 885.5 to 862 gigawatt hours. Notes that despite having purchased less energy, distribution companies turnover up 7% in January 2012 compared to same month last year, to reach 605.8 gigawatts.

While energy losses were reduced by 6 percentage points, from 36% to 29.7% on average.The decrease was 9 points EdeSur; of 7 in Ede and 2 EdeEste.

Collections

The agency notes that the data recovery is evidence of improvement in January and that has remained constant since 2011. In absolute terms, the increase was $ 1,008.3 million RD, to reach $ 4,436.9 million collected RD in January 2012, representing an increase of 29% over January 2011.

EdeSur the largest increase in fees (35%), followed by EdeEste (30%) and, finally, EdeNorte (21%).

According to a report of the CDEEE, this result is explained by an improvement in business management, the rise in June 2011 from 8% in the electricity tariff and payment of government institutions not cuttable that disbursed RD $ 470 million in January this year when in the same month of 2011 had not made any contribution. Notes that the improvement in the management of distribution companies brought the increase of 12% of the Cash Recovery Index (CRI) of 52.4% climbing in January 2011 to 64.2% in the same month of 2012.

More customers billed

EdeSur distributors, and EdeEste EdeNorte, counted 2,000,000 999 152,000 billed customers in January 2012, representing an increase of 16% over the same month of 2011 when it closed with a million 850 000 559 customers.

The increase in the number of customers due to the rehabilitation program that develops networking across the country, which normalizes irregular users, and continued efforts in attracting new customers who have increased the number of customers billed on your system.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
They are also saving on labor....lol
over 20 people in line and it looks like only window 3 is servicing customers...

B in Santiago

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002

I don't know what kind of household you are running but after moving from my apartment in Los Cacicazgos (8-11k electricity) to a house in Las Praderas and taking some measures as buying efficient autos and installing LED instead of Halogen lamps I went down to 2,600 pesos...

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Yeah that's awesome Pichardo, but how does that help the customer? They're collecting more money and providing less electricity.

This is how they shoot themselves in the foot. In my neighborhood nobody paid for electricity for years on end. Last year or so they went in, fixed the lines and provided people with contracts. Most people got fixed rate contracts. I got a contract for my house with a meter as my house is very large, but the electricity used is very minimal as it's empty most of the times with only my grandpa using a few light bulbs, a small fridge a fan and watching TV from time to time. First bill came in about 700 pesos...OK cool no problem. Next bills crept up to about 1,000 pesos and had remained around there. This month my grandpa said he got a bill for almost 3000 pesos. The KW being charged for don't match the meter and now apparently this is going to be a pain in the @zz to try to get this corrected. If this is going to be the case every month I'll unhook my stuff and go back to paying nothing....

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Yeah that's awesome Pichardo, but how does that help the customer? They're collecting more money and providing less electricity.

This is how they shoot themselves in the foot. In my neighborhood nobody paid for electricity for years on end. Last year or so they went in, fixed the lines and provided people with contracts. Most people got fixed rate contracts. I got a contract for my house with a meter as my house is very large, but the electricity used is very minimal as it's empty most of the times with only my grandpa using a few light bulbs, a small fridge a fan and watching TV from time to time. First bill came in about 700 pesos...OK cool no problem. Next bills crept up to about 1,000 pesos and had remained around there. This month my grandpa said he got a bill for almost 3000 pesos. The KW being charged for don't match the meter and now apparently this is going to be a pain in the @zz to try to get this corrected. If this is going to be the case every month I'll unhook my stuff and go back to paying nothing....

If that's the case on you meter you can file a claim to that end ease!

About what it does?

It helps to get everybody on the paying client list as this reduces the amount the gov must cover on the deficit from generation, transmission, use and revenues cycle.

If everybody paid their tab in the DR (including the largest debtor that's the gov always carrying a past due) the generators would invest more money to satisfy the demand and not incur in having to shut down due to lack of payments.

The key to the energy problem is collections, as the loss in transmission can be mitigated with a partial subsidy until there's enough investment to correct that part of the problem in the grid.

Wait until after the elections and see what happens on that end!

Remember that the electrical service is used as a tool of political gains in our country (sadly).

Once the Danilo-mama duet gets elected, in a few as four or five months things will get hard for those on the juice without paying...

The poor will get bono-luz instead and prepaid meters for the others than don't meet the income threshold for public welfare. A prepaid meter will teach them how to employ their watts efficiently and without waste.

Or so we hope!