!!!? Proof ?!!!

K

Kristy

Hi, I am just about to start the process of trying (!) to get a Non-Immigrant Visa for my other half (who's Dominican) to go to the US.. There are several reasons, some being visiting my parents, and we were possibly thinking about having our wedding there (Florida) too!!..

The thing I am stuck on is this proof that he will return, or ties here in the DR... He doesnt 'Own' a house or car, so that doesnt help, although yes all of his family are here, but can anyone give advice on how I would get some things together to take to the interview that maybe of use....

Many thanks
Kristy

M

Marc

You know, you may be able to leave a $$ deposit with a law office that will vouch for you? Maybe they will think you will come back for cash...

then again, if you are getting married, you probably don't have bags of money laying about the house!

just a thought
marc

E

Eddy

If he doesn't have a house or a car, must have mucho $$ in the bank. A letter from the bank attesting to that should help. Good Luck,

R

Ralph

K1 visa

Trying to get a Tourist visa is tough. Try getting a K1 visa. It is easier to get and you will have 90 days to Marry after he enters the states.

You need proof of a relationship etc.

R

Rosa

Kristy,

I just tried to get a non-immigrant visa, and was
denied. This is a very frustrating situation, be
prepared. Some of the things that we provided as
proof were:
1. Title to a piece of property we own.
2. Bank statements for me and my husband,
with a decent amount of money, also my husbands
accounts in the states.
3. Letters from my husbands family.

I like what marc said below, we didn't try that!

Check out this document below from the state dept
which lists why visa's are denied.
http://travel.state.gov/visadenials.html

Good luck,

Rosa

M

M

Re: K1 visa

This is definitely the only way to go. Unless your significant other is a lawyer, doctor, or a large land owner, a non-immigrant visa is very difficult to obtain. Money in a Dominican bank alone won?t work either, since it would be easy for you to temporarily transfer your own funds. Visas can also be refused with or without reason. Go with the K-1. You?ll only need to convince the embassy that you are a legit couple. Good luck.

G

Greg

The probablility of you getting a tourist visa for someone who does not have very strong ties to the DR, such as a well-paid profession, a company they own, property they own and lots of money in the bank is just about zero. Furthermore, if you are serious about this guy, by applying for a tourist visa, getting denied, and the later applying for a fiancee or spousal visa, you also put that application under severe risk and scrutiny.

The problem is basically this: the Dominican Republic has been identified by the INS as one of the top visa fraud countries in the world. This has come about due to years of visa fraud on the part of Dominicans. Those of us with legitimate requests and honest partners pay a price for those who have manipulated the system in the past.

Even a K-1 visa, which is considered the easiest to get in most other countries is held up to scrutiny. In virtually no other country is it required, for instance, for the American fiancee to be present at the interview. In the DR it is.

In my own case, the K-1 took nearly a year and then when we finally had our interview, we were separated and grilled for 30 minutes each on the most intimate of personal details. Of course, our intentions were true, so we passed and now have been married for several years.

However, as has been stated MANY times on this board in the past, the US Consulate in Santo Domingo is very, very strict and the denial of visa rates are extremely high.

Do yourself a favor: either take your parents to the DR to meet your boyfriend or apply for a fiancee visa, even though that could take nearly a year to complete. A tourist visa simply will not be granted.

J

Joachim

Unfortunately, the will deny anyone who is in a situation with boyfriend/girlfriend for the simple reason that they think that once you are abroad your spouse will want to stay and circumvent the immigration process.

They tell you all the requirements that you must meet. Then even if you meet the requirments, they turn you down, but they take your money first, and put you through a lengthy waiting process. Got for the K1 right away.

I have already gone through this and know from experience.

J

Joachim

Same goes for Canada, tourist visa will never be granted. Save yourself the agrivation and hearache.

T

Thomas

What if you come on the K-1 visa and don't get married, then she goes home in 60 days?

T

Thomas

Do you have more information on the K-1 process? Will it take more than 3 weeks to get?

J

Joachim

100% Impossible for Dominicans to get tourist visas. Think about it you dont see Canadians or Americans needing to apply for tourist visas, or showing that they own property, family ties, job ect.

The US and Canadian governments know that if the average Dominican gets a visa to visit either country, they will most likely do everything that they can to stay. Dont waste your time money and energy.

T

Thomas

I understood tthere is some way I can "sponsor" Dominique to visit the States, or is it really very hard?

K

Kristy

Do you have to be an American Citizen though to get a K1, as I will only be a Green Card holder, full time resident..

W

Wim

Why not mary with him in the DR .
Very Pleasant .
I did it too !!

Than it is easyer to get a visa .

Greetings , Wim .