Spirit Airlines vs Jet Blue / March 2012 Prices

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I went on Spirits web site and looked at a round trip fare between LGA, La Guardia in NYC and SDQ, Santo Domingo, Las Americas. Round trip, with the $9 CLUB Fare was $456us, which includes $59us to join their club. There is additional charges for bags and seats. Jet Blue between JFK, NYC and SDQ Santo Dom. for the same time period was $405us round trip, plus Jet Blue does not charge you for the first bag or reserved seating. These prices include all taxes and fees and Jet Blue offers a much better time schedule for departures and is a direct flight. Hands down, Jet Blue offers better pricing and service.

S

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
The only time I even consider using Spirit is when they have one of those $9 fare sales. If they don't beat the competition by over $150 each I don't even think about it.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Just saw a fare from BWI to JFK and then the non stop JFK to STI on Delta for $328 r/t total in March.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Delta

Just saw a fare from BWI to JFK and then the non stop JFK to STI on Delta for $328 r/t total in March.

Delta has the worst service. Somehow they will manage to screw up your flight, or change it 10 times. As far as Spirit, I warned my friend that if he tells me one more time that it only cost him $9 to fly to Florida, I was going to kill him. I would go with Jet Blue.

Jeepito

Dec 22, 2011
Comparing apples and oranges

Let's see, included all you can eat snacks and drinks, free satellite T.V., friendly pilots and stewards, free first checked bag up to 50 lbs, friendly and highly rated customer service, great point and rewards program.

Call the spirit customer service line, if you can find it that is; and decide for yourself.

I see and understand the intent of the thread, however that miserable airline should never be uttered in the same breath with Jetblue or any other airline for that matter.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Frankly, with all the options of direct flights from NYC to DR, it wouldn't cross my mind to even look at Spirit.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I ALWAYS fly Jet Blue between Sdq. and Boston.
The flights I take are non-stop in both directions.No waiting for a flight crew in MIAMI,OR A SNOW STORM IN "pHILLY"!
Once your flight leaves,you either crash on the way,or land at your destination!
Compared to other airlines,I think it's worth taking the risk!
CC

edm7583

May 29, 2007
Spirit is only really an option (and competitive pricewise) when flying on a point to point basis without connections. The super cheap fares are for nonstop routes only so it really is only a deal for people living in South Florida, (or Dominicans wishing to visit the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area). If you are coming from someplace else and have to connect it is always a better deal to go with someone else.

Spirit has made it clear who its demographic is. They said so when they made their IPO: Immigrant population living in South Florida returning to their home country to visit, and very price sensitive leisure travelers in the same area. Some of their most profitable routes are from Fort Lauderdale to three of the four Colombian destinations it serves. (Medellin, Bogota, and Armenia), plus Port Au Prince, San Pedro Sula, Toluca, and San Salvador (El Salvador) do extremely well for them.