Looking to purchase diesel generator

GNLove

Jan 8, 2012
Hi Everyone,

We are considering a diesel generator backup. Our electrical guy said that when weighing pros and cons the diesel generator is better than inversion. Noise being the one thing that could push us back to inversion.

With battery issues & replacement costs as well as curious little guys running around he felt the diesel gen was best option.

What I would like is some input on this choice as well as best place to purchase diesel generator.

Other questions:

Wire for automatic or manual startup?
Best Brand.

Any other items that those in the know can think of will be appreciated as well.

Thanks

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
I've seen some at the Plaza Lama, at Febrero 27 and Enrique Jimenez Moya, in Santo Domingo.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Size Matters

I've seen some at the Plaza Lama, at Febrero 27 and Enrique Jimenez Moya, in Santo Domingo.
You can see them everywhere.
I for one would not buy a 'planta' from PL, as service and the availability of spares is also important.
It may be wise to buy with the help of a trustworthy engineer who knows the models and the market.
Get several written quotations.

What size is needed?

donP

GNLove

Jan 8, 2012
Size

I would say small as possible available. We have 2 story 3bdrm house. Bomba, fridge, hot water heater, TVs, lights. No AC at this point.

I would say a 5kw or 6.5kw would be sufficient with power to spare.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Small is beautiful?

I would say small as possible available.
Small often is too small.
You'd want a genset that has enough power to charge batteries (yes, in the end you will need them), handle startup currents and is operated comfortably at only 70% of its rated max. power.

I would say a 5kw or 6.5kw would be sufficient with power to spare.
This is the lower limit at which diesel plantas (e.g. the 2-cyl. 6.5 kW Kubota) are introduced.
It's a good engine, but I use it as an auxiliary plant only.

donP

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The Kubotas are really good 6.5 kw plants. I think you would be better served by one of the Wilsons...they are quiet, start automatically and are economical. These are the ones that the telecommunication companies use on their cell towers.

Where are you located? That is another thing.

The installation of the switching panel is a key element. The breakers, timers and such. It is where your generator thinks "Is the electricity really off and I need to start up?" and "Did the lights really come back on and I need to shut down?"

There are lots of good people that can set this up for you...just be sure to have an expert check the installation...lots of "punchadores" out there too.

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yes, of course...They can give you years of worry-free electricity when all else fails. You did not say were you are...it might make a difference on whether to go inverter or genset...

HB

GNLove

Jan 8, 2012
SPdM. The neighborhood we are in usually has good service. Lately service has been going a lot. During the summer we need it most to keep the fans going to keep us and the kids comfortable at night. Sounds more like we only need inversion. Our electrician talked my wife out of inversion and into a generator.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have a 7.5KW for 3 years now as a backup to my solar system.
Its an SDMO SDMO - Genset manufacturer - Water pumps manufacturer - Control panel manufacturer I can't remember the price.

I think it came from Electron in Sto Domingo

I have had no problems. Its diesel.... stay away from propane powered.

My house sounds like yours - 3 bedrooms, fridge, wine cooler, water impeller are the big draws.

LED lights for the most part... 2500 watts on the roof, 36 deep cycle batteries.
No public power whatsoever. Just diesel fuel to cover my backside

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I,m Not So Sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wait A Second.

There are many "Pros & Cons" to consider here!
Invertors are "almost" transparent when switching into/out of service.
Obviously they a very very VERY quiet.
They are "Clean",and have no exhaust going into the air.I could care less about the "environment", but it can "stink", as in, bother your neighbors along with the noise.
Maintenance is easy with the invertor,add water to your batteries.
If you go "Diesel" you should use a transfer switch,otherwise you have to get uo to fire it up,and turn it off.
I don't have a transfer switch,I have a "Suegromatico".That means "Mi Suegro" gets up,not me!
Installation is easier with an inversor,takes up very little space.
It uses no "Fuel" which has to be stored,hauled,or supplied by tank truck,(Strikes,late,no fuel in the distributor's tank)
And the "Planta"electricity costs more than the inversor's.
I have both.
I use the planta only when there is an outage of more than about 24 hours.More batteries,more time.
I say,"Go with the inversor",If you are worried about long term,days, of power outage,you can buy a tiny gasoline powered generator,to charge your batteries,but I wouldn't bother.
Cris Colon

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
WW has a fortune on his roof and on the floor of his room out back...36 deep cycles at what? 4 k each? = 160,000 in batteries and as much if not more in solar panels? I would go with one of the small Wilsons, a good automatic control, learn how to provide maintenance yourself (no big deal, just change the oil and filter every now and then, make sure the coolant level is right; clean out the air filter and change it every year or two...nothing heavy). You are guaranteed 24/7 electricity. Get a couple of UPS units for your computers and bingo...like living in a developed country.

HB

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yessir, it ain't cheap but the prices are coming down for panels these days.

It was late 2008 when ll that went in and i was sinking like the Titanic so I cut back on the panels which were then double today's prices.
Cutting back on the batteries is not a good idea b/c you can't rally add to them at a later date, so I stuck with the original design.

I need the generator to feed that large battery bank in addition to the sun. Adding more panels this year.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
From a man in Cabrera - Richard Ellis, GREC is the name of his company.
He is popular here and travels the North Coast.

Let me know if you want gthe phone number

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes, but I haven't found the right one yet.
I want to have constant power generation.... the smaller ones aren't too good yet, from what I hear.

Richard can talk about that to you too... he's well versed in it all

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
I have a 7.5KW for 3 years now as a backup to my solar system.
Its an SDMO SDMO - Genset manufacturer - Water pumps manufacturer - Control panel manufacturer I can't remember the price.

I think it came from Electron in Sto Domingo

I have had no problems. Its diesel.... stay away from propane powered.

My house sounds like yours - 3 bedrooms, fridge, wine cooler, water impeller are the big draws.

LED lights for the most part... 2500 watts on the roof, 36 deep cycle batteries.
No public power whatsoever. Just diesel fuel to cover my backside

Do you have Surrette batteries?