LT: Discover Card Acceptance?

Rickey

Oct 25, 2011
How widely accepted is Discover card in LT? Also, does the local grocery store accept Discover? If so, can you take out cash with a purchase at the grocery store?

Thanks,

Rick

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
to DerFish: I think LT= Las Terrenas (North East Forum)

To O.P.: I don't have Discover Card, and my experience is mostly in P.C. (Punta Cana), but I don't recall seeing Discover Card logos anywhere. Your best bet is to get a Visa or Master Card. A good choice if you travel often is to get one of the new ones that offer no foreign transaction fee. I doubt if you'll be able to get cash back with retail purchases, but you wouldn't want to do that anyway because the exchange rate will suck. Your best option for getting cash is to just use a debit card at an ATM... one located at a bank is best. You'll get the best exchange rate that way.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
I live in Las Terrenas. I would say that Discover Card is not widely accepted, as a matter of fact the majority of places including restaurants and some hotels do not accept any credit cards. Supermarcardo Lindo does accept credit cards, but I am not sure about Discover. The easiest way to access cash is through the ATMs here. Use cash were ever possible.

S

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Hi:
I live in Las Terrenas. I would say that Discover Card is not widely accepted, as a matter of fact the majority of places including restaurants and some hotels do not accept any credit cards. Supermarcardo Lindo does accept credit cards, but I am not sure about Discover. The easiest way to access cash is through the ATMs here. Use cash were ever possible.

S

since I have run out of cash more than once in LT

I have been forced to live on my credit card and can report that you live VERY well on just the AMEX card. You can get a cash advance on it from Banco Progresso. Lindo Supermarket is the best in the country. Barrio Latino has the BEST fried chicken in town and the BEST location.

And there was a another thread about Caberete or LT and I just wanted to speak to that.

I have only passed through Caberete on my way back to LT from Santiago once, It struck me as a small strip development for a kite surf business

seemed to have lots of Canadians.. whom I generally find to be, eh... a bit dull unless they are Quebecqoise

in LT my favorite conversations are with Katya, the Bulgarian.. who converses in 5 languages, My teacher friends from France-- we converse in three.. coming up with our own lsland language

my friends Jose and Annettee now have the largest lending library on the North Coast

There is a recycling program... an Earth witness

it is turning into a very groovy international town

with lots and lots of families with young kids from all over the world are settling in

lots of private kindergartens.. all internationally run

if you have not been there in the last 5 years.. you really need to check it out

you will be pleased

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
also,, the new luxury hotel... Plaza Colnial on Playa Ballena

takes the AMEX card

so really

if you have the frequent flyer miles for the trip

and about 2000 DOP for the guagua

you can just put an entire vacation on the sign and travel part of your Amex card!

(I am really pleased today since I can PAY the Amex-- since they finally discontinued my sign and travel priveleges since I never was anywhere but here in the last 7 years.... BUT now, of course, I owe them SO much that I am a "valued customer".... )

It is not whether or not you can get through the holidays

it's if you can pay January's bills on time

Rickey

Oct 25, 2011
Looks like we'll be leaving the Discover card at home...

Thanks for the replys.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
No comment on the Discover card...

Last time I stayed at LT... 110 $ per night if paid by CC, 70$ if paid cash (for a couple)... should tell you enough.