Monday after Semana Santa Sunday

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I am planning to use the Metro (or Caribe) bus from Santo Domingo to Sosua on Monday the day after Semana Santa Sunday. Two quick questions, could that Monday be a holiday in DR - I know they sometime have holidays on Mondays for one reason or another, so just wanted to make sure that it is not, and buses run according to their schedule.

The other question is what do you think about travelling by bus on that route on that day, I'm guessing it might be really busy as everyone moves back and fort at the end of a long/major holiday in DR. Could the buses be really full and tickets in short supply - would I need to book/buy ticket beforehand !? (Although I would have thought it will be busier the other way around, people returning to capital from the coast !)

Cheers,

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Monday should be ok. My experience is that Sunday is a busy day, but that extra buses are scheduled.

The bus companies are accustomed to handing Semana Santa passenger loads.

And the heaviest loads are to Santo Domingo and Santiago from the country and beaches, not from Santo Domingo.

You will be fine.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Thanks for the reply, from memory I recall that Monday is usually pretty quite everywhere - recovery day !

In fact I have to go from Boca Chica to Santo Domingo bus station that morning and I think that might possibly be a busier trip - what should I pay a private taxi for that (I have a large suitcase so can't use the guaguas/caritos/etc.) ?