Economical crisis in DR?

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
The economical crisis is still spreading its effects in Europe and States. But what are the effects in DR? How do you eventually feel in day by day living, business, social situation, real estate. I'm curious to get your opinions...

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
We are fine. Honestly. There is nothing like living around poor folks to give you a lesson in overcoming affluenza. Lots of folks I know do not know how they are going to eat dinner. And they simply TRUST that they are gonna make it.. I am learning SO MUCH HERE !! Poor folks aren't afraid of poverty.....

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i was just reading where hotels were 80-100% filled. doesn't sound like tourism is in a crisis.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
To my opinion, it is because hotel prices went down to keep up with the tourists demand

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Yes I know about this thread, but now we are in 2012... Economical situation has evolved... and this one is more about day by day living...

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Yes I know about this thread, but now we are in 2012... Economical situation has evolved... and this one is more about day by day living...

Believe you me, that thread is up to date with today and what tomorrow will bring as well...

Not need to start another locomotive loaded with fuel and no end station in the map...

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Not on the North Coast, perhaps 50 to 60%

Long weekend a boon for hotels nationwide

Santo Domingo.- The long holiday weekend boosted Puerto Plata’s hotel occupancy to around 80%, whereas in Punta Cana and Las Terrenas, in Saman? remained at 100%, mostly the result of the high season.
Figures compiled by newspaper Hoy show hotel occupancy in Puerto Plata jumped to 71.3 % in the last 14 days, from 34% in December, the start of the high season.
Puerto Plata Tourism Press Association secretary Edgar Lantigua yesterday revealed that occupancy in most of the Playa Dorada and Cabarete hotels climbed to 80% this weekend, while the others, including Sosua, sustain acceptable averages, mostly during weekends, comparison with November and December.
Eastern Hotels Association president Ernesto Veloz also announced occupancy rising to 100% to herald the high season and that the small hotels and apartments were also totally occupied this weekend. He revealed that Punta Cana International Airport handles around 350 flights weekly.
For National Hotels and Tourism Association (Asonahores) executive director Arturo Villanueva, even finding a place to eat in Las Terrenas, Saman? was an ordeal, as foreign and Dominican tourists filled restaurants and other businesses. “I went to six restaurants Saturday night and you couldn’t find where to pass through, they were in favor of foreign and Dominican visitors.”

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/tourism/2012/1/31/42493/Long-weekend-a-boon-for-hotels-nationwide

<ins style="display: inline-table; border-top-style: none; border-right-style: none; border-bottom-style: none; border-left-style: none; border-width: initial; border-color: initial; border-image: initial; height: 60px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; position: relative; visibility: visible; width: 468px; "><ins id="aswift_0_anchor" style="display: block; border-top-style: none; border-right-style: none; border-bottom-style: none; border-left-style: none; border-width: initial; border-color: initial; border-image: initial; height: 60px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; position: relative; visibility: visible; width: 468px; "><iframe allowtransparency="true" frameborder="0" height="60" hspace="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" vspace="0" width="468" id="aswift_0" name="aswift_0" style="left: 0px; position: absolute; top: 0px; "></iframe></ins></ins>

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
One result of economic problems in Europe is that some airlines have taken planes out of service for the winter. Therefore NO direct flights from London to Puerto Plata between December and late March.

umea

Sep 28, 2006
Certainly the occupancy of Puerto Plata hotels is markedly up over December and earlier months. But this, unfortunately, not should not be taken to indicate that the tourism boom pf the past has returned. Some 17 hotels closed over the last year and thus the remaining hotels are benefitting from a less competitive situation. Also, most of the hotels have marketed themselves fairly aggresively to the Dominican tourist, with specials advertized in Santo Domingo and many companies rewarding employees with special vacation packages. On the one hand, promoting internal tourism is a step forward, it does not bring in revenues from outside the country and does not help build up an international clientale.

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
I can't see how things are fine when the price of everyday staples keep getting higher and higher. :(

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
Example: I was paying RD$90 not so long ago for a guacal of eggs (32 eggs), today I paid RD$130!!!

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
Uk tax's hurt as well - i keep talking about the ?150 return ticket from the UK in 2007. Not now - looking at ?600 return.

We used to do 3 trips a year to the DR - now only 1 - possibly 2 but as well as the uk tax's being high, there are less flights out to the DR means the ticket price goes up as well, AND its more expensive once there..............dare i say it - the DR is not a cheap holiday anymore.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
It is very simple, the locals feel it tremendously.

We may notice the price-increases, and complain about them, but for a lot of the locals it has changed their daily lives.

F.E. I am friends with a local couple. She is a cleaning lady, he is a farm worker. Both work 6 days out of 7. 2 years ago they could afford some extra's, like a bottle of rum on sunday. Now they have to scrape, they can no longer afford to keep their rabbits and chickens as the feed became too expensive, etc... Their salaries remained the same,while the staples rose by more than 30%

beastwood

Jun 30, 2011
but does scalability work in reverse?

Through my observations I have to think that a culture that is adept to providing for it's population in areas where the centralized government does not, must be better suited to roll with the cycles of economic decline and recovery. Compared with places like the US, the RD has a culture where entrepreneurial endeavors provide single beers, single cigs, and yes single eggs as well as medicines in break pack qtys. This has to have a positive mitigating effect. That said, all is relative...those living very close to the bone in 2008, probably are feeling the pinch more now.

A friend of mine born in India recently said (in effect) to me, those with less have less of a distance to fall. Is this true? He then asked me if I believe my friends from the barrios of SD (and their "it takes a village" family values, are happier than my middle class friends in the US? Interesting question, yet aside from my brother in law who recently had a screw driver stabbed into his arm by one of his 4 girlfriends (two of whom decided to confront his machismo recently), I would have to say the answer seems to be yes.