Using unlocked BlackBerry (Verizon) on Orange???

SDQ19

Feb 6, 2012
I will be traveling to Santo Domingo in the coming weeks. Will need a way to stay communicated and decided to take my old BlackBerry Bold 9650 which is Unlocked (previously used on Verizon). Now, is it possible to get an Orange SIM card at the actual airport? I ask this because I plan on going from the airport to the hotel via taxi, bus, etc and won't be able to just stop along the way and buy one from a local Orange store.

Also, for those of you that have used unlocked phones in DR, is it just a matter of popping in the new SIM and that's it?

Thanks.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I will be traveling to Santo Domingo in the coming weeks. Will need a way to stay communicated and decided to take my old BlackBerry Bold 9650 which is Unlocked (previously used on Verizon). Now, is it possible to get an Orange SIM card at the actual airport? I ask this because I plan on going from the airport to the hotel via taxi, bus, etc and won't be able to just stop along the way and buy one from a local Orange store.

Also, for those of you that have used unlocked phones in DR, is it just a matter of popping in the new SIM and that's it?

Thanks.

You need more than a SIM card, you need a number. You will need to go to an Orange shop to register the phone and get your number and SIM card. An unlocked phone is no different than a phone purchased here. Both need a number and a SIM card. You can buy a time card from Orange or a machine in many locations, but the number you must get from Orange.

When I go to the US I buy an AT&T SIM card from eBay and register online with AT&T to get my number. So when the plane lands, I am good to go. But I have not heard of that being done by folks coming this way.

One of the great things to note here as well is that the Bold 9650 from Sprint comes factory unlocked. This means its not locked down to just Sprint service, and unlike other devices, doesn't require an unlock code to open it up for other networks. You can just pop in a SIM card from any GSM carrier (for the most part) and be up and running on a different network. Service obviously depends on the provider, so you will get EDGE or 3G service depending on what carrier you are using.

Jan 17, 2009
I thought a Verizon phone (even if unlocked) couldn't be used on Orange. Verizon phones are CMDA, do not accept a SIM card.

Feb 7, 2007
I have seen a VZ Blackberry, sold in the DR, it's CDMA but has a SIM card and can be used on Claro/Orange/Viva. Speeds are EDGE only though.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
I just returned from DR. I brought my wife an unlocked VZ Blackberry I got new from Walmart. It was CDMA without Sim. Ended up giving it to a friend as only TRICOM would set up service. No internet. Just a phone for talking. My wife wanted a BB. After checking things out and talking with a Dutch friend that conducts all his business with his BB. He said you have to purchase a new BB from Claro to have internet etc. If you buy a used one it will be set up with internet but once the original card time expires--that's it!!! No more internet. They were running some good specials. I think in the end it is best to find a local dealer in DR you can trust, pay a few more bucks and not have any surprises.

SDQ19

Feb 6, 2012
You will only get phone service, nothing else, unless you sign up for one of their plans. No plan - no BB messenger, no internet.

I'm only interested in phone service, no data. I can go two days without checking my emails or the internet. The point of this weekend getaway is to do just that, getaway from the everyday stuff. The wife and I just need some QT together.

SDQ19

Feb 6, 2012
I thought a Verizon phone (even if unlocked) couldn't be used on Orange. Verizon phones are CMDA, do not accept a SIM card.

Most Verizon phones are CDMA, but the BB Bold 9650 I'm referring to has a SIM tray and can be used on GSM networks, if unlocked of course.

SDQ19

Feb 6, 2012
You need more than a SIM card, you need a number. You will need to go to an Orange shop to register the phone and get your number and SIM card. An unlocked phone is no different than a phone purchased here. Both need a number and a SIM card. You can buy a time card from Orange or a machine in many locations, but the number you must get from Orange.

Any idea if there is such an Orange store on the way to Juan Dolio from the airport? If so, I will ask the driver to stop at it so I can get the phone registered, new SIM, and number.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
You should be able to do this at the airport. I just left there. I was in the Claro store, pretty sure there was an Orange store there too. Not sure if you pay a premium there or not. That said, go up the escaltor from the exit area to the stores and departure level. Check to see how much they want. They may not do it and you might have to use Tricom. At this point, unless you have your driver, exit at that level and stand there with your bags. A driver will approach you before long and on this level you can negotiate. If you haven't gotten your cell ready, tell him you need to stop in Andres to do it. Start at 800rd from airport to Juan Dolio but I would definetly not pay more than 1500rd with the stop in Andres. Good Luck

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
EDGE is fine with me, just need the phone to work for making calls while I'm in DR for the weekend.

If you are talking about calling the US during your stay, It will be far cheaper to go to a Centro Llamados in Juan Dolio and forget the whole hassle. If you are going to be making repeated calls in the DR for a few days, then get the cell hooked up. AND-- even for this you can walk in any store and get a really cheap phone and minutes. Simplify!!!

SDQ19

Feb 6, 2012
If you are talking about calling the US during your stay, It will be far cheaper to go to a Centro Llamados in Juan Dolio and forget the whole hassle. If you are going to be making repeated calls in the DR for a few days, then get the cell hooked up. AND-- even for this you can walk in any store and get a really cheap phone and minutes. Simplify!!!

I agree with your advice, but its always good to have a phone with you, you never know when you're going to need it. And to answer your question, yes, it will be used to call back home in the U.S. Its only my wife and I going, our kids are staying with grandma. So we would like to keep in touch with them while we are away.

BabyBlu

Jan 20, 2004
There is an Orange store in the lower level of SDQ... Also if you have a smartphone and wifi, there is an app called nettalk, you can call the U.S and Canada for free, and the connection is great. A DR1er posted about the program last year and I have been using it ever since!

SDQ19

Feb 6, 2012
There is an Orange store in the lower level of SDQ...

Thank you so much for confirming this. It will be much easier to just do it at the airport instead of having to locate a store on the way to Juan Dolio.

DEV

Dec 1, 2005
Any phone Verizon advertises as a "World Phone" has dual band CDMA and Quad Band GSM with the SIM. Verizon Global Support will unlock it for free. You'll need your passport for the Orange SIM and the SIM has your phone number. it will expire without reloading but I don't remember how long it lasts.