Montellano Sugar Cane Plant To Reopen

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

Last Thursday, February 9 in Montellano hundreds of people went to the streets dancing, singing and honking to celebrate the reopening of the sugarcane plant.

It is now seven years since the sugarcane plant, after the debacle with the Baninter bank, was declared bankrupt. The proceeds of the sugar harvest managed by the bank were lost for many obscure causes, and the management of the sugarcane plant was unable to pay the salaries, electricity bills etc. The population of the town of Montellano, located near the airport, is entirely dependent on income from the sugar factory. After the closure of the plant poverty hit the village. Almost the entire labor force was without work and income. Also many small businesses as barbers, grocers, bars, clubs, furniture stores and hardware stores were forced to close down and lay off staff.

The formerly bustling town with lots of entertainment in the weekends, seemed to die in silence. During these seven years several potential buyers for the sugarcane plant came by. But every time they were shocked when they heard that with the purchase of the plant, they also had to pay off the debts of many millions of pesos. But now the American investment company 'Biofuel Consortium Sugar & Quisqueya' announced they want to rent the sugarcane plant. The story goes they pay $ 10 million for a lease period of 30 years. Friday, February 10, the lease contract between the Central Bank and the Biofuel company has been signed. But much remains to be done before the plant is back in full operation. But when it is operational, at least 3000 people will find a job at the plant.

Saturday, February 25, in the gym (El Club Recreativo) there will be festivities in honor of the reopening of the sugar factory and all residents of Montellano are invited.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
IF it opens this is wonderful news for the locals in the Montellano area. This plants closing was devestating economic blow.
Lets hope it happens and these jobs come back.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
People that don't live close to Montellano probably don't appreciate what a huge thing this is for the area. I am so happy for the people there. Imagine, jobs for at least 3000 people.

I hope that they are filled by locals and not by Haitians because the locals think they are too good to cut cane.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I hope that they are filled by locals and not by Haitians because the locals think they are too good to cut cane.

Please explain why it is bad for Haitians to be employed, if it is a job that no Dominican wants. If 3,000 jobs are actually created, there should be jobs for both "locals" and Haitians. Your post really makes no sense Ken. Great news for the local economy regardless of who it will employ, more jobs means less crime.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Please explain why it is bad for Haitians to be employed, if it is a job that no Dominican wants. If 3,000 jobs are actually created, there should be jobs for both "locals" and Haitians. Your post really makes no sense Ken. Great news for the local economy regardless of who it will employ, more jobs means less crime.

I have no objection to Haitians and know them to be good workers and did not say it was bad to hire them. But, if there are 3000+ people in the area who lack gainful employment I would prefer to see them working and earning a living than bringing in Haitians from outside to cut the cane and whatever else needs to be done. Hiring locals will do more to cut local crime than leaving them unemployed and getting involved in crime while outsiders come to the area to fill the jobs.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
It makes no difference who takes the jobs. 3000 more people working in the area means 3000 more people to have money to spend in the area.:)

Last edited: