Which RIU in Puerto Plata is best for a "girl's weekend" ?

queenhelly

Aug 2, 2004
The mambo the bachata or the merengue ? Yes I know we can visit the other two if we stay at one, but I still prefer to stay at the one that's a best option for me and my chicas.

queenhelly

Aug 2, 2004
Bachata has the hottest Sanky's!

Um no. Maybe I should've been more clear, we are Latina women born and raised in NYC. If we wanted to sleep with Dominican men we could do that right here... AND they would be the ones paying for dinner/drinks etc.

I am just saying is there one that's more for singles or parties vs one that seems to have more families and kids running around ? We definitely want to have a fun filled four day weekend. It's about 10-12 ladies.

queenhelly

Aug 2, 2004
Yes I'm thinking whichever one has the best pool area. Again, I know we can visit the other two but I'd much rather stay at the one that has a fun pool scene. Thanks again ! Which hotel is the one that has a Pacha club attached to it ?

queenhelly

Aug 2, 2004
so now we have about 15-20 people... all landing in santiago at 1pm and heading to puerto plata... is there some taxi company that has a bus ?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The resort you are staying @ should be able to take care of this over email. You can get three vans easily that hold 6 comfortably + luggage @ POP airport for about $50 Per VAN including tip.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Sorry I misread your post. STI is a different story, send Bachata a pm on dr1 for a chofer with a bus or van(s).

Chicagoan

May 27, 2011
For a girls weekend, I wouldn't pick RIU. There is nowhere to go if you want to leave the property.

Cabarete has a beautiful beach, and the bars have parties on the beach every night. You can walk into town from many of the hotels.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
For a girls weekend, I wouldn't pick RIU. There is nowhere to go if you want to leave the property.

Cabarete has a beautiful beach, and the bars have parties on the beach every night. You can walk into town from many of the hotels.

Agreed. There are a couple of decent AI's in Cabarete to choose from, heard that the Wyndham Tangerine is decent, and don't forget that you can also rent out villas. Here's a link to a high-end one that could fit everyone (and you get your own cook) - Luxury Villa Rental Rates | Villa Castellamonte | Dominican Republic Villa Rental They have space for your party, and I think they're running a 50% off special if you book for a week, which would mean you could have vastly superior surroundings, staff and food than at any AI in the area at a very comparable price.

Good luck and have fun.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
@DRob - Villa Castellamonte is in Cabrera, what are they going to do out there to find non-local members of the opposite sex to "party with"?

Cabarete is a good idea over a Riu, I agree with that suggestion.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Tambo'

I agree. I was thinking Cabrera and Playa Dorada are about equidistant from Cabarete, which is where they'll likely eventually wind up (better food, atmosphere, beach, and, erm, "companionship.") It's actually a quicker trip than POP if the ladies have their driver(s) take them through (the perfectly safe and scenic) Moca road.

@DRob - Villa Castellamonte is in Cabrera, what are they going to do out there to find non-local members of the opposite sex to "party with"?

Cabarete is a good idea over a Riu, I agree with that suggestion.

queenhelly

Aug 2, 2004
Wow here we go again with the "companionship". We are not interested in sankies or companionship. Contrary to popular belief, not every woman that travels to the DR is a fat pasty pale-face Canadian Dutch or German woman who spends two weeks there enjoying the company of young buff Dominican men who would never be interested in them if it weren't because of the socio economic realities of their lives. We are just going for a weekend getaway, we want to just chill out get tans have some drinks and enjoy some laughs and bonding. I'm not interested in renting a house there even though I have done that many times before, with a group this big i prefer an all inclusive and not have to worry about anything, everyone can just be one their own and do whatever they want. This is just a little quick trip, we like to go somewhere once a year for a long weekend. Last year we went to las Vegas and this year we decided to do a beach weekend. We realized that a AI weekend in DR would be a better value than going to Miami or PR. Friends decided to invite friends and now we have almost 20 people. Anyway I really am interested in answers to my actual questions. Like I already said, we are from New York City, there are plenty of Dominican men right here if we want them... And we are hot enough that THEY would be the ones paying if we went out with them on a date... So please... Stick to the topic. Or don't answer this post.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I will ask the manager of the transport company I use for a quote for a bus if you like. He is supposed to come to my office tomorrow to give me an estimate for the dental group I have arriving in two and a half weeks.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Wow here we go again with the "companionship". We are not interested in sankies or companionship. Contrary to popular belief, not every woman that travels to the DR is a fat pasty pale-face Canadian Dutch or German woman who spends two weeks there enjoying the company of young buff Dominican men who would never be interested in them if it weren't because of the socio economic realities of their lives. We are just going for a weekend getaway, we want to just chill out get tans have some drinks and enjoy some laughs and bonding. I'm not interested in renting a house there even though I have done that many times before, with a group this big i prefer an all inclusive and not have to worry about anything, everyone can just be one their own and do whatever they want. This is just a little quick trip, we like to go somewhere once a year for a long weekend. Last year we went to las Vegas and this year we decided to do a beach weekend. We realized that a AI weekend in DR would be a better value than going to Miami or PR. Friends decided to invite friends and now we have almost 20 people. Anyway I really am interested in answers to my actual questions. Like I already said, we are from New York City, there are plenty of Dominican men right here if we want them... And we are hot enough that THEY would be the ones paying if we went out with them on a date... So please... Stick to the topic. Or don't answer this post.

The Rui Bachata is quite a bit newer and larger than the other two , with filled bar and fridge in the room. The Mambo seemed a little more intimate.

queenhelly

Aug 2, 2004
Thank you Bob, I've been reading reviews on various sites like tripadvisor all week... Looks like the bachata is the nicest one of the three RIUs. I actually prefer the iberostar costa dorada but majority rules and the price range has been decided on.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010

Ah....yeah right, THAT'S BELIEVABLE, normally when someone makes that ridiculous boast to an online forum......Well, you know what's coming next..........

IT AIN'T TRUE, anyway back on Topic, I've stayed at all three of them, and I loved the Mambo.....it just has a different feel, (vibe) to it....hard to explain, sometimes the nicest.....(Bachata) is not always the best, if that makes any sense.....

Hope you gals have a great time!!!!

You would be surprised how a "fat pasty pale-face Canadian Dutch or German woman" looks after a few drinks....(10)....and roasting in the sun all day.....

queenhelly

Aug 2, 2004
@ rice&beans: you can believe it or not. I really didn't even want to go down that road. I really have nothing against heavy pale gals... Big girls deserve fun too. I'm just annoyed that the responses are going in the wrong direction and I wanted to make my point. Actually, we are all new York born women of Dominican, puerto rican and Cuban parents... Interpret that however you like... I have no interest in pointless arguments with people i dont know on a forum.