Flight Costs have Doubled!!!! Has anyone else seen this!!!

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
Wow flights have doubled in cost....

Continental Airlines: Direct flights:
My January flight for two seats all in cost $1,017.49
Current cost same flight two seats all in cost $2,049.00

Air tran: A few dollars cheaper however (1) layover stop

American Airlines: about $500.00 cheaper two seats about $1,568.00

.Airfares Are Chasing Oil Prices Higher
Justin Sullivan/Getty Images
The price of jet fuel, which is now $2.96 a gallon, has soared by more than 50 percent since last summer’s lows of $1.89 a gallon. An employee pumped fuel into an airplane in Oakland, Calif.
By JAD MOUAWAD

Delta Air Lines Inc
Southwest Airlines
US Airways
As the carriers have tried to keep up with rapidly rising oil prices, they have already increased their fares four times since the start of the year, compared with only three increases for all of 2010. The airlines have also raised some of their fees, imposed summer peak-time surcharges and added hefty fuel surcharges on international flights.

Even traditional low-cost carriers that have long undercut their rivals are joining in. Southwest Airlines, for example, which usually resists industrywide fare increases, participated in several rounds, including one this week.

While the rising ticket prices have matched the steady increase in fuel costs in recent months, the turmoil in the Middle East has sent oil prices sharply higher. That surge now threatens to derail the airline industry’s fragile recovery and may lead to even more surcharges. At today’s prices, fuel accounts for about 40 percent of the industry’s costs, up from about 30 percent just last year.

As a result of the uncertainty in the oil markets, airline stocks extended their losses on Wednesday, after Tuesday’s steep declines. Airline stocks are down 11 percent just this week.

The airlines have few options to deal with their rising costs. Most carriers were already hedging some of their fuel purchases to protect against sudden price increases. They can also look for more fuel-efficient planes, but that requires billions of dollars in investments and takes years. In the meantime, they have little choice but to pass on costs to travelers.

So far, thanks to growing demand from both business and leisure passengers, the airlines have not had any trouble selling seats. Because they have not added much new capacity as the economy has picked up, their planes are still flying full, especially during peak hours. And as airlines continue to find customers for their most expensive fares, analysts said, they are reducing the number of their cheapest seats — and even those are not so cheap anymore.

“Airlines are raising their fares because, right now, they think they can,” said Jeff Straebler, a strategist at RBS. “People will actually buy the tickets at those fares.”

In January, the cheapest round-trip fare from any of the top 50 airports in the country averaged $367 — 10 percent higher that the average of $333 for the same time last year, according to FareCompare.com, a consumer airline research Web site.

Rick Seaney, FareCompare’s chief executive, said each increase in the last three months had averaged $5 to $12 for the least expensive tickets.

The increases have been far steeper at the front of the plane, in business and first class, as well as for last-minute travelers. American Airlines, United, Continental and US Airways all raised their fares by $20 to $60 on Monday for first- and business-class tickets, and seven-day advance. Last week, Delta Air Lines increased its fares for these high-end tickets by $40 to $120 for a round-trip ticket, according to fare watchers.

On top of that, some airlines are also increasing their fees. US Airways recently raised its fees for a variety of overweight and oversize bags — those weighing 75 to 100 pounds — to as much as $175 a bag, from $100. It also raised the cost of a third checked bag, to $125 from $100.

“We’ve had a lot of airfare hike activity compared with the last two years,” Mr. Seaney said.

In recent weeks, the carriers have also bumped up their base ticket prices for travel during the summer by as much as $250, in Virgin Airlines’ case. In addition, the airlines have introduced “peak travel” surcharges of $20 to $60 round-trip on some summer departure dates.

Airlines executives have long dreaded the return of higher fuel prices. In 2008, when oil soared above $147 a barrel in New York, the airlines were forced to ground thousands of planes, including some of the least fuel-efficient planes, in a desperate bid to stem their losses.

But the rise in fuel prices once again hangs over the industry’s profits. Last year, the top eight airlines earned $4 billion with total revenue of $122 billion, showing a meager profit margin of 3.3 percent.

Oil prices jumped more than $12 a barrel this week, rising above $98 a barrel in New York on Wednesday, after the violent uprising in Libya, a major oil producer. In London, Brent crude futures rose to $111.25 a barrel.

The price of jet fuel, which is now $2.99 a gallon, has soared 58 percent since last summer’s lows of $1.89 a gallon.

“Airlines are under a lot of pressure,” said Severin Borenstein, a professor of public policy at the Haas School of Business at the University of California, Berkeley. “Demand is recovering but rising fuel prices may short-circuit that.”

The Air Transport Association said last week that passenger revenue had grown 10 percent in January compared with the same time last year. That was the 13th consecutive month of revenue growth for the airlines.

“We have slightly fuller planes and stronger pricing,” said John Heimlich, the chief economist at the Air Transport Association. “There is no question we are enjoying the coattails of a stronger global economy after a very depressed period. We are making up for lost years.”

Some analysts pointed out that one reason traditional carriers could get away with increasing fares was that Southwest, the largest domestic airline, also saw the need to bolster its own fares.

“Southwest has been acting more like a legacy airline,” Mr. Seaney said.

Prices are inching toward their highest levels, reached in 2008. Still, flying remains relatively affordable, once ticket prices are adjusted for inflation. The average air fare in the third quarter of 2010 — the latest period for which government estimates are available — was 20 percent lower than in 2000 after inflation is taken into account, according to the government’s Bureau of Transportation Statistics.

The airlines, meanwhile, have been resisting an Obama administration proposal to increase ticket fees to help finance airport projects. The president’s budget, released on Feb. 14, would raise the passenger facility charge to a maximum of $7 per flying segment, from the current $4.50, to offset a cut of $1.1 billion to airport grants.

Delta has argued that this increase means that a family of four will pay $112 in ticket fees, instead of $72, assuming they buy round-trip tickets with one stop.

A world of higher fuel prices and higher fees might substantially change the way passengers think of air travel — less a convenient mode of mass transportation and more a luxury, one analyst said.

“Flying is getting more expensive, there is no question about it,” said Robert Herbst, a former commercial pilot and independent airline analyst. “These rising energy costs have to be passed on to consumers. For some, this means flying will become less affordable.”

Feb 7, 2007
By Yola we'll go ... sadly there's no Yola going to Europe

I hope Condor will keep the direct flight to Vienna. Pricewise it cannot be beat, and one can support 10 hours of squeezed space for saving of over 1000$$ RT for two tickets compared to the next cheapest Air Berlin.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
I just bought my daughter's ticket EWR - SDQ for $470 ~.... mid-April flight bought last week

~WW: is this a direct flight? What carrier?

We are booking people for our sons Wedding in July and the prices have skyrocketed!! Cheapest thus far is with American Airlines out of JFK...we are traveling into Punta Cana though not SDQ.

Any input would be greatly appreciated from all!!!

Jetblue Flight 811

Oct 17, 2010
i agree prices are certainly very higher now than 2 years ago. Punta Cana has always been expensive tho, however a flight to Puerta Plata to NY used to be about $350-400 now its like $550-$650 (JetBlue)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

We are booking people for our sons Wedding in July and the prices have skyrocketed!! Cheapest thus far is with American Airlines out of JFK...we are traveling into Punta Cana though not SDQ.

Thats the SDQ morning flight from EWR on CO... admittedly, it said there were only 7 seats left at that price.
I had to juggle her dates b/c she came up with $750 or more. I changed her from Sat to Sat to Sun to Sun.... same thing for the BF.

Use the flexible dates option and it will search over the week to give you the best rate. Mi9d-week always is better

CO is always cheaper to SDQ than to POP, plus it leaves later -- 9am vs 7am.... that 7am is a killer

When we come from Canada by WestJet - YYZ to AZS, its always $500+.... less competition in Canada

Last edited:
May 29, 2006

It could be fares are high because you are booking so far in advance. If the airlines are expecting higher fuel costs, they will be including that in the fares now. You may or may not do better by waiting to book in another month or so.

Also if you are booking a group, you may do better by going through an agent to get a better rate.

May 17, 2011
Pop

I normally fly out of EWR and used to be able to get EWR to POP for about 420-450 US including taxes and fees. Now that route is going higher between 500 +. I don't understand why. It's not the #1 tourist destination in the DR. Flights to SDQ and Punta Cana can be found much cheaper. I would think a destination that is not so popular would be less.

I was in the DR over new years and flew on jet blue via JFK to save money, but in the long run it was not worth it. I am going to stick with EWR. I just hope something happenes to the prices because they will lose a lot of business if things continue to go up

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I don't know where you are flying out of but I just checked the Jet Blue fares from JFK to SDQ and you could get a round trip for as low as $399.us.which includes all taxes and fees. Your pricing seems a little out of line for a regular seat fare?

S

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Me too LTS, mine was $471.50 for a weekend flight sunday to Sunday in mid-April, weekend after Semana Santa

co EWR to SDQ

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
what's ironic is that the cost for flights in general, and for specific flights vary from day to day.. sometimes hour to hour. Overall though, they ARE higher over the past couple of years. The funny thing is, The Admiral, who shops fares continuously found a fair for the middle of march that was less than $400... the first time we've seen a "3" in a fare (first digit) in a LONG time. the problem is, that flight doesn't fit our schedule. :-(

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Agreed , the '3' flights are now Do-Do birds... usually.

CO has a thing called 'FareLock' whereby you pay $10 and can hold that fare for 72hrs - more if you want longer.

I did it and it works.... cancels automatico if you don't book it.

Helpful when booking for others who have trouble scheduling........ sigh!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Check out some of the "OPs" other posts.
Can you spell "WACKO"???????????????
He is a veritable fountain of information,BAD INFORMATION!
Make a quick check on "ORBITZ" and all this thread will be "MUTE"!
CCC

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i agree with all being said but airlines fares is like buyinig clothes. you need to shop around and figure out every possible combination of getting to where you want to go. think of how good that presidente will taste, the wonderful eye candy, good dominican food and nice beaches. you'll still book at higher prices !!!

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
I don't know where you are flying out of but I just checked the Jet Blue fares from JFK to SDQ and you could get a round trip for as low as $399.us.which includes all taxes and fees. Your pricing seems a little out of line for a regular seat fare?

S

LTSteve

It's a Direct flight from Newark NJ to Punta Cana in July 2012...price it...that's what they are advertising for the flight....Jet Blue usually flies with many connecting flights! At least from my area....I prefer direct flights...

Cheapest thus far is out of JFK to Punta Cana at about $675.00 PP direct flight with American Airlines...

We are utilizing a booking agent, I have the lowest price thus far of all people booked and we booked back in November 2011. We have been told by more then one person that the costs will only increase due to the unrest in the Middle East....I know its all speculation, however that's what they base their rates on, and they "the Powers that be" are driving the fuel costs through the roof based on this speculation!!

Thanks for the input! ;)

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
Check out some of the "OPs" other posts.
Can you spell "WACKO"???????????????
He is a veritable fountain of information,BAD INFORMATION!
Make a quick check on "ORBITZ" and all this thread will be "MUTE"!
CCC

~CC Here is your quick check on ORbitz for my precise dates of travel and ports of departure and arrival...NONE of these are direct flights from Newark, what normally takes 3 hours 50 minutes will take up if not over 7 hours of flight time to get to the end destination of Punta Cana.

From one "Wacko" to the other:) Takes one to know one!!

Only 6 tickets left at this price!1 $568 average per person
Select$1,137 All passengers . No booking fees2 +Price Assurance3 . Flight details Leave
Mon, Jul 2 1:55 PM
Newark
EWR 8:55 PM
Punta Cana
PUJ 1 stop
7hr 0min total time American Airlines 1623 / 1737
Seat map . Return
Mon, Jul 9 7:10 AM
Punta Cana
PUJ 11:40 PM
Newark
EWR 1 stop
16hr 30min total time American Airlines 1732 / 1382
Seat map ...$610 average per person
Select$1,221 All passengers . No booking fees2 +Price Assurance3 . Flight details Leave
Mon, Jul 2 1:55 PM
Newark
EWR 8:55 PM
Punta Cana
PUJ 1 stop
7hr 0min total time American Airlines 1623 / 1737
Seat map . Return
Mon, Jul 9 7:10 AM
Punta Cana
PUJ 2:55 PM
Newark
EWR 1 stop
7hr 45min total time American Airlines 1732 / 692

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Maybe PC is like POP, a few hundred more than SDQ. I find that is the norm not the exception.

Why not fly SDQ and get a ride? Could save you couple of hundred each.