Can P-R's get back their Birth certificates ?

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
How can Permanent-Residents get their Birth Certificates back from Dominican Immigration (or wherever it might be now) and re-use it for their Naturalization process.
Do I need to bring another fresh Birth Certificate with apostille stamp then legally translated to Spanish and stamped by the Dominican consulate abroad to go ahead with my Naturalization process ?

or is it still possible to retrieve the one that was deposited at first for my residency ?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
In a word: NO

they never give back the documents you handed in for your residency.

HB

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
None of the docs submitted will be returned back. If you have the DR residency you may not need to produce again. I did not give them for getting the Permanent Residency. But not sure for the naturalization process. Do not understand their logic of asking the birth certificate again and again, it is not going to change.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
None of the docs submitted will be returned back. If you have the DR residency you may not need to produce again. I did not give them for getting the Permanent Residency. But not sure for the naturalization process. Do not understand their logic of asking the birth certificate again and again, it is not going to change.

Yes you need a birth Certificate for the naturalization process.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yes you need a birth Certificate for the naturalization process.

This is normal here because, for some reason, even locally generated birth certificates expire, so anytime you do something that needs a birth certificate, you need a new one that has the proper validations and translations for the process you are going through.

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
I thank you all for your good replies.

If I may also ask: Would I need to have the fresh birth certificate (that could be sent to me by mail) again to be Apostilled and then translated to Spanish and legalized by the Dominican Consulate in my home country as was done to get my Temporary-Residency years ago, or is there a way of getting around that part inside the D-R if you are already a Permanent-Resident ?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Being a PR gives you absolutely no rights if that's what you getting to

That is a terribly mis-informed statement. A permanent resident has the same rights as a DR citizen minus the right to vote and hold public office.

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
I thank you all for your good replies.

If I may also ask: Would I need to have the fresh birth certificate (that could be sent to me by mail) again to be Apostilled and then translated to Spanish and legalized by the Dominican Consulate in my home country as was done to get my Temporary-Residency years ago, or is there a way of getting around that part inside the D-R if you are already a Permanent-Resident ?

The OP wants to know if holding a PR card exempts an applicant from submitting a translated, legalized copy of the birth certificate. My answer was along that line. No one asked on the pros and cons of having permanent residency

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Wrong. My car insurance isn't valid because I don't have a cedula. As in permanent resident.
Der Fish

Not to mention the right to right to work legally, the right to own a firearm, the right to sue in a court without posting huge sums of money and other things covered frequently in other threads here on DR1. jackichan needs to become informed before posting out of ignorance.

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
Not to mention the right to right to work legally, the right to own a firearm, the right to sue in a court without posting huge sums of money and other things covered frequently in other threads here on DR1. jackichan needs to become informed before posting out of ignorance.

Or maybe windeguy needs to stop skimming through and read the posts in details

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
Hi again, My last question meant to ask: if I already have another copy of my Birth certificate, does it need to be sent abroad to my home country to be Apostilled and translated to Spanish or is the Apostille no longer necessary and I could just translate it to Spanish here in the D-R with no Apostille requirement as was done for my first Birth certificate that was handed to inmigracion ?

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
It's a pain even if I do already have a birth certificate with Apostille, to still have to send it to the Dominican consulate in my home country to be stamped by them.

I wonder if Dominican immigration could stamp my birth certificate right here in the Dominican Republic as authentic without the need to send it to the Dominican consulate in my home country ?

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
It's a pain even if I do already have a birth certificate with Apostille, to still have to send it to the Dominican consulate in my home country to be stamped by them.

I wonder if Dominican immigration could stamp my birth certificate right here in the Dominican Republic as authentic without the need to send it to the Dominican consulate in my home country ?

Please check with Cancelleria, they may be able to do it.