Can US Perm Res use DR tourist cards?

mike775103

Aug 25, 2004
My wife and I are traveling to Punta Cana this April. I have been to the DR several times, but this is the first time I will be traveling to the DR with my new wife. I am a US citizen; my wife is a citizen of the Philippines, but has a permanent residency (green card) for the US. When we travel to Mexico, the Mexican tourist visa rules overtly state that US PR and US citizen are treated the same.

When I looked at the US State Department web site for Dominican Republic travel requirements it says US citizens can obtain a tourist card at the airport in the DR, but does not address those with permanent residency. When I look on the Dominican Republic Consulate web site it states that those traveling on a Philippine passport must have a visa approved through the DR consulate, with tons of documentation required. Then there is general note 1 at the end of the visa requirements list that seems to say that people that can legally enter the US, Canada, the European Union, or Great Britain can enter the DR on a tourist card. (The visa requirements section is in Spanish, so I may be misinterpreting something.) The link is:

http://domrep.org/documents/LeyNo.875sobrevisados.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

edm7583

May 29, 2007
Yes.

If you are a legal resident of the United States, you only need your passport (and your resident alien ID) and to purchase a $10 tourist card on arrival to visit the Dominican Republic as a tourist, no matter your country of citizenship.

Even for citizens of other countries who would ordinarily need a visa to visit then DR, as a tourist, if they have any type of US visa in their passport, they will not need a visa to visit the DR. Example. Colombian citizen needs a visa to visit the DR, but a Colombian who has a US tourist B1/B2 visa in his or her passport will only need to purchase the tourist card on arrival.

Last edited:

mike775103

Aug 25, 2004
Thanks very much. This puts my mind to rest. I will still be taking a copy of LeyNo875 with me that spells out the policy on tourist visas signed by the president last year.