Sending my 2 year old to D.R. from USA with her Dominican Grandfather

todobien

Jul 20, 2008
My daughter is just shy of 2 years old... my wife's father is coming to visit us for two weeks...we want to send our daughter down with him for a month or so before we go down and bring her back... my daughter is a USA citizen and the grandfather is D.R. citizen...My question is....What paperwork does the grandfather have to have, if any, to travel out of the USA and into the D.R. with a 2 year old USA citizen, where the last names are not the same???? Thanks for you help!!!

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I think that would be a nightmare and probably work out better for one of you to fly in with her and then fly back without her, they are going to get so much hassle, for the sakes of a same day return ticket I'd save you all a headache.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
This is from the Dominican Embassy in the US's site:
2)Are there any requirements to travel with minors to the Dominican Republic?
If the minor is traveling with one or both of his/her parents no extra documentation will be required.

If the minor is traveling with a person that is not their father, mother or tutor, they will have to leave the country with the same person they enter it.

If they are leaving the country with a different person the authorities of the General Migration Office will require a legalized authorization letter signed by both parents.

You can legalize this document at your nearest Consulate.
Embassy of the Dominican Republic, in the United States

todobien

Jul 20, 2008
Thanks for the replies....I know I can go to the US State Dept. web site and get the info, but I was hoping someone on this board had experience with this...

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
All I can say is that my sister has been sending my little nephew (now 5 years old, but since he was two) with my mother to The DR and they've never had any trouble. I'm not sure what paperwork she's had to do, but I don't think it was anything extensive. Just a paper stating she gives her permission.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
All I can say is that my sister has been sending my little nephew (now 5 years old, but since he was two) with my mother to The DR and they've never had any trouble. I'm not sure what paperwork she's had to do, but I don't think it was anything extensive. Just a paper stating she gives her permission.

I don't think it's that difficult, either. The paperwork is the same, I believe, as when either parent travels alone-- a notarized letter from the other parent authorizing travel (in your case both of you notarizes the letter). It's probably best that you both go to the airport, that way you can present your id's etc. if they ask. (And you'd probably go to see them off, anyway.)

It would probably be harder for him to leave the DR with her, but you're not planning on that.

I have a Dominican/American friend in New York that passes her child off to whichever family member is travelling at the time, and they don't seem to have any problems, either way.

nursemia

Feb 24, 2012
g.php
I think that would be a nightmare and probably work out better for one of you to fly in with her and then fly back without her, they are going to get so much hassle, for the sakes of a same day return ticket I'd save you all a headache.
I agree with you.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi;
I believe all you need is a US passport and an notorized letter stating that she is allowed to leave the country and travel with the grandfather.

LTS

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Hi;
I believe all you need is a US passport and an notorized letter stating that she is allowed to leave the country and travel with the grandfather.

LTS

Until my son turned 18 that is all I have ever needed for him to travel with someone else. Half the time the letter was never asked for. In the US all they need is a notarized letter. I had one in english and spanish. Never had a problem. My sister in-law sends her 2 kids with my mother in-law 2x a year to go see their father in Boston and all they needed was a notarized letter, I think here they call them " una poder" or something like that. She has never had a problem either.