tree nursery question

matt OTG

Feb 17, 2012
hi everyone,

i am looking for some good nurseries in the north coast area which sell fruit or nut trees (well, anything edible), preferrably organic. does anyone have an opinion of the 'eden ranch nursery' in puerto plata? i understand from other threads ive read here that smaller nurseries are cheaper, but i would like to tap into the pooled knowledge of the forum for deeper info. ill pay more for quality and plant health.

i also found this nursery in la romana, but its quite far. has anyone visited this place?
Costa Landscape

ideally, id love to find a small 'nam doc mai' (thai) mango tree mangifera siamensis if i could. if anyone has been to the mango festival (i think its in june this year in SD), could they kindly reply and let me know if saplings are available for purchase?

thanks!
matt

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I planted a "Dwarf Coconut Tree" about two years ago.They only get about 10 feet tall,which makes the "Nuts" easy to harvest,I haven't got anything to harvest yet,but I am waiting.
CC

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We had dwarfs in our neighborhood growing up.

You knew something was wrong w/ these kids..........

When the doorbell rang, they ran straight under the dining room table to answer it.
A different concept of height!!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
All over the place

i am looking for some good nurseries...

There are 55 'viveros' listed in the telephone directory.
Even the government has them. (There is one in Nagua, where I used to buy seedlings.)
I know of several well assorted 'viveros', they are all over the place.

donP

matt OTG

Feb 17, 2012
thanks, don. ill search the phone book. if you have any particular favorites in the puerto plata area, let me know so i can go there first. is the nursery in nagua is worth the trip from puerto plata in your opinion?

gracias,
matt

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
not sure where the mayor gets them from - but she recently did huge planting operation at the bottom of la mulata, may be worth asking at the government offices , depending on who you ask there lol

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Viveros

... is the nursery in nagua is worth the trip from puerto plata in your opinion?
The government nursery isn't, they sometimes have nothing or only a few varieties.
The other two I know there are very well stocked (one is called 'Plantysol') but you would find equally good 'viveros' in other places also.
In SD 'Camino Chiquito Garden Center' (Arroyo Hondo) comes to my mind, the owner is a biologist.
'La Rinconada' has several branches in the country.

donP

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
thanks, don. ill search the phone book. if you have any particular favorites in the puerto plata area, let me know so i can go there first. is the nursery in nagua is worth the trip from puerto plata in your opinion?

gracias,
matt

The nursery on Luis Ginebra across and down the street from the courthouse is good but expensive.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

gracias,
matt

I think the best vivero is the one that just moved.... they were on the north side of the road after the airport 9going out of POP) and had the blue/white chaise longue rehab place beside.

Now, they have moved 500 M closer to POP on the south side ... just down a little hill, so its easy to miss.

Big place, big selection and good prices from what I saw.......... fruit trees too - grafted ones.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The ISA University in La Herradura outside of Santiago has an interesting nursery. You drive in through the front gate, up the hill, stay to the left and about 200 yards further on you see the nursery on your right. Their prices are very good and their products are top grade.

HB

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
do they perchance have tomatoes - as they seem to take for ever to grow from seed into anything that might possibly have fruit on it

Dewald

Apr 5, 2012
Camino Chiquito de Adolph Gottschalk is not open anymore, he is buying plants & working as landscaper. You can try to contact him in facebook, one of the best experts of ornamental plants in the country. My favorite nursery is Superplant, near Sto. Domingo, they have a very informative website.

Basil

Apr 11, 2012
Hello guys,..
I watch out all the posts and all the posts very informational about tree and nurseries.We should be growing
the trees and visited the nurseries.We can get good information about how we can keep neat and clean environmental
because good environmental is the symbol of the good health.

Isobel

Jul 21, 2011
There is a good vivero run by Francisco, who knows more than most, the last one on the left going into Islabon / Sabanete. It is reasonably priced. There is also one just off the Jamao road at Los Brazos, turn right on the bend and it is a little way up on the right. It is run by a guy called Aaron, is organic and I found acai seedlings there... Some interesting stuff there.