Security Camera System

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Did a search, but nothing came up.

We are a small apartment building exploring the possibility of using a security camera system that is self contained, not running off our computers.

We have a bid for US$1000 (including installation) which I think is high and wonder if anyone can recommend, suggest or point us in the right direction.

Any experience with this kind of system, good or bad, would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Ro

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
For starters:

Good cameras are expensive - $250-$350 each on sale (IP / Non IP Networking cameras).
Digital Video Recorder (IP Network capable) designed for Security - Anywhere from about $300 up.
Video Monitor - can be as simple as your TV set in the Video setting.

No recorder needed to monitor on TV.

Much depends on which route you wish to go.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Thanks for that. My concern is that we can see the video after the fact, so what good is it except to see if we know the person. Now I'm leaning towards getting dummy cameras posted so we look like we're secure and too much of a hassle to bother. Can you suggest where we might get dummy cameras, or if anyone has one that doesn't work and wants to donate...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Buy them on the internet. That is what we did. They are not worth much, however, because word soon gets around they are dummies. It won't take long for your employees to figure that out and who knows who might pass the word?

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
They are not worth much, however, because word soon gets around they are dummies. It won't take long for your employees to figure that out and who knows who might pass the word?

But if you hire dummies for employees, they will never figure it out.............

B in Santiago

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Thanks, I've forwarded the link to our administrator. This one seems to go through the computer and don't know if his is powerful enough to handle it. We shall see. Thanks for your help.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Thanks, I've forwarded the link to our administrator. This one seems to go through the computer and don't know if his is powerful enough to handle it. We shall see. Thanks for your help.
If you are referring to my link, the computer is ONLY used to monitor the cameras REMOTELY.

It is not a requirement.