Higuero lakeside restaurant - review

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
In a recent thread, http://www.dr1.com/forums/santo-domingo/122025-advice-restaurant-pick-sd-2.html, mountainannie was asking for recommendations for a restaurant for a special night out in Santo Domingo. I mentioned the newly refurbished lakeside complex on Avenida Anacaona, overlooking the boating lake in Parque Mirador Sur.

Disclaimer - the owner is a friend so if not biased, then I'm at least well disposed in his favour, but now I've had the chance to see the finished product and taste some of the food, I urge you all to try it. I wouldn't rush to recommend it if I hadn't been genuinely impressed.

The lakeside complex consists of two restaurants, a banqueting hall and a boating lake.

Higuero is Dominican gourmet. Not fusion but traditional Dominican, including many lesser known recipes you won't get in a standard comedor. The menu is full of dominicanismos and witty touches - the children's menu is headed "Pa lo muchacho". You have the option of sitting inside or outside, with a terrace overlooking the lake, with the slight drawback of some traffic noise from the avenue. The decor is contemporary/rustic - very attractive. The staff are very attentive and provide a few folksy touches, a little like El Conuco without the full out floor show.

I tried the chulitos. These are cassava/yuca fritters with cheese, chicken or beef fillings.
Chench?n - the traditional south western corn pudding with habichuelas, the best beans I've ever tasted.
Caviar de berenjena (aubergine/eggplant caviar) and crema de yaut?a (cream of taro).
For dessert I tasted samples of dulce de coco tierno (tender coconut sweet) and dulce de batata con coco (sweet potato with coconut). There were also Dominican nachos with yuca chips instead of corn chips - the dish was called "Lo que pic? Duarte", an avocado and tomato salad with agrio de naranja (bitter orange dressing), and "chichitata" or chicarrones (fried pork rind) with batata frita (sweet potato fries).

The savoury food was just right, not over-salted or greasy. The flavours were delicate and natural. The sweets were not too sweet. :)

At this stage I have to add that carnivores need not panic - like Dominican cuisine the menu is actually meat dominated. From La Bandera to several pork, beef, chicken and goat dishes, seafood, etc. The prices are mid-range.

Drinks include mab? and ginger tea as well as coffee and alcoholic drinks.

The other restaurant, Arrozsal, is more formal, with an international menu, and a large terrace overlooking the lake.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
well...i'll give it a try (based on your recommendation).
has to be better than any of the previous attempts to make a go of that building...............always seems to be one of those places that looks like a good location, but is "jinxed" or doomed to fail for some reason.

would like to hear more about arrozsal as well, if anyone goes there.

read in the other thread that it's the same owner as adrian tropical.....have to admit, that when they opened, i thought adrian tropical was good, but quality seems to have dropped a lot over the years.....am i wrong?
same goes for many local restaurants i suppose......if they survive the first six months.

hopefully the two lakeside restaurants won't go that way.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Darn. I live pretty close by and it looks like a nice place. If the food and more importantly the service are anything like adrians on the malecon. . .I'll pass. Even with a good location with nice view I have not been able to justify dealing with crappy food and horrible service to eat at adrian's. I can't imagine why anyone would visit and Adrian's that doesn't have a nice view. . . .lol. . .

The fact that this place also has a good view or nice location has me worried. Do they feel that if you have a nice place the food and service could be crap? Worked for meson de la cava for a while. . . .lol. .

It would be great to see soem "mergers" in DR restaurant business. Pick a restaurant with nice location or ambience and crappy food, and merge it with a place that has so so amenities but good food:

Bring the food from Puerto Madero in santiago to the restaurant at Camp David Ranch

Serve the food from Asadero Argentino at meson De La cava.

Bring the chefs from Antonios to this joint on the lake. . . . ..

Have wendys chicken sandwiches at Adrian's as that would be a huge improvement. . . . .

Import wait staff from another country to solve crappy service problems and we may be in business. . . .

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Why not try it and then tell us what you think about the food and the service?

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Why not try it and then tell us what you think about the food and the service?

I may do just that. However I am usually hesitant to spend money at establishments that have a reputation for bad service and food. if I went to this place and it was OK, I would have to wonder if the owners can run a place with good food and service, why don't they do that at all of their restaurants?

When pondering the possible explanations as to why they would have good food and service at one restaurant while another is crappy in both areas, none of them make me feel comfortable that eventually the new place will not sink to the same level.

Maybe they think the other place is a tourist trap and will have an endless flow of new suckers. . .uhm. . .clients?

Maybe they think, our view is nice, who cares if the chicken is bone dry and getting a menu takes over 30 minutes?

Maybe they just did a training at the new place and the staff understand customer service? Did they not do this at the "old" place? If yes how long ago? If no, why not?

Just from reading recent threads I want to try Fellinis, Sophias, Sullys and a few others. There is a chance I will try a pace run by a group that has a track record of crappy food and service. . .but the odds are not high ;-)

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
fully intended to go to higuero on a sunday afternoon a couple of weeks back.
three of us went in ......and it was full.
we had a beer with a couple of friends already in the restaurant and then decided we would try the arrozsal restaurant next door.......somebody mentioned it was "international".....one of our group equated that with 'steaks' for some reason.

another friend introduced us to the manager of that restaurant and said we were a group of five (two were supposed to turn up a little later), so that we could get the only table that was available on that side (the restaurant was also almost full).

we were told the owner was the same owner as adrian's tropical....i don't know him, but think he is the same person who hosts the formula 1 meetings in adrian's tropical on ave. abraham lincoln (great atmosphere if you are into formula 1).

i would have much rather tried the higuero restaurant, and to tell the truth the arrozsal menu was much the same as anywhere else. all three of us, coincidentally, ordered the same main dish which was some kind of steak. it was good, but did feel it was over-priced when we got the bill.

this is a crap review, because i don't remember much else i can tell you from the menu. there is some kind of sunday "brunch" thing that goes on, which we missed. looks like a buffet of some sort, but what it consists of, i am not sure.

i have to admit, i was a bit disappointed. most of the people there looked a bit disappointed as well. it may do well, but it is just another of those so called "international" restaurants. i wouldn't mind if i had to go back again, but it is not in my list of top 10. the higuero side is probably much better.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
ok.. I know this thread is a little old.

BUT, there were a couple of mentions of prices... Chiri mentions "mid range", Bochinche mentions "over-priced". It would be more helpful to get a handle on these restaurants to know actual prices. Maybe not down to the centavo... but maybe how much the average entre is... or how much was the steak dish... something more quantitative and accurate to get an idea of the kind of place these reviews are reflecting. Obviously one would expect much more from a higher priced place than a more moderately priced place.