Cabarete

mamgirl

Mar 25, 2012
I am staying in Sosua May 2-9. I would like to venture into Cabarete this time but have two questions. I know it is easy to get a taxi from my hotel to Cabarete, but is there any place in particular I should get dropped off? Also, is it very easy to find a reliable taxi in Cabarete to take me back to hotel? And are there certain spots that you recommend seeing while there? Keep in mind I have two kids 14 and 8 that are with me. Thanks!

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
The middle of town is Bon Icecream on one side and O'Shey's on the other. You can walk thru O'Sheys to the beach. The beach chairs are free, if you buy a beer or a coke. On most days the Kites go up about 3, depending on the wind. Have a good time. Just tell the beach vendors No. There is a Taxi stand just down from O'Sheys.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
From Jose O'Shay's, on the beach, you can either head east for about 2 football lengths and you will see numerous restaurants and nice places to sit at, or you can head west for as long as the eye can see and, again, you will see numerous nice restaurants and places on the beach including Kite beach where all of the Kite Surfing action takes place. if it's a windy day, bring a good camera and be prepared to see some amazing kids kite surfing. the action usually doesn't begin until late in the afternoon after the wind picks up. however, it does begin earlier if there is sufficient wind.
:glasses:
Frank

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I am staying in Sosua May 2-9. I would like to venture into Cabarete this time but have two questions. I know it is easy to get a taxi from my hotel to Cabarete, but is there any place in particular I should get dropped off? Also, is it very easy to find a reliable taxi in Cabarete to take me back to hotel? And are there certain spots that you recommend seeing while there? Keep in mind I have two kids 14 and 8 that are with me. Thanks!

You might want to consider taking a publico or guagua from Sosua to Cabarete. You will save a lot of money and have a new experience. From Sosua to Cabarete costs US$15 dollars by taxi, one way, by Publico cost US$0.65 (25 pesos) and 20 pesos by guagua. You will have to walk to the road from Cabarete to Sosua, but that is only a couple of blocks from most hotels. In what hotel will you be staying?

mamgirl

Mar 25, 2012
Thanks for the information! I am staying at Casa Marina. I think I would prefer to take the taxi than try and find my way on my own with two children. I am looking forward to seeing Cabarete.

Chicagoan

May 27, 2011
You will have no problem finding your way if you take the guagua. It's about a 10 minute ride, and you will know when you have gotten into the town. Also, the guagua is kind of fun. Ask any local. They can tell you where to catch it.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Well what I would do and if you want to see Cabarete and do not mind a 20 min walk along the beach. On a sunny day...with some palm trees moving...Take a taxi from Casa Marina around 1 PM (they should do it for 500 pesos) but I am sure that outside Casa Marina they want 20 US. Anyway tell them to drop you off at Kite Beach, for instance kite club. There you have restaurants and snacks and the kiters. It is at the bottom of the picture below... then around 3-4 start walking towards Cabarete along the beach. Nice safe walk. After 20-30 min you will come to the center of all restaurants. Enjoy a poo or a drink or even a beer at jose osheas.. But pleasedo not go back and say that "Cabarete is sooooooo expensive" if you choose to eat and drink at Osheas. Your choice. Taxis are waiting outside on the street. Again 500 pesos should do it. Have fun!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150692548735839&set=a.104323905838.91417.42222195838&type=3&theater

photo.php

Wish I knew how to insert images properly...

Last edited:

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
There's dozens of good, quality restaurants and bars. just stop at the first one that you like and sit down and have lunch and fresh coconut water or pineapple juice. there's no need to fret over this restaurant over that restaraunt. just look for one that seems comfortable enough and sit down and relax.

that's what vacations are about. don't fret over where to go.

I think his suggestion about walking from Kite Beach down to Cabarete is excellent. it's only a 15 minute walk, and you can stop along the way at dozens of small charming restaurants and bars.

Frank

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
lol - strangely - and Frank doesnt know who I am - but we always use Jose O Shays toilets when in Cabarete. Always have - always will I hope! :)

They are good toilets there!

Foods not bad either :p

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
lol - strangely - and Frank doesnt know who I am - but we always use Jose O Shays toilets when in Cabarete. Always have - always will I hope! :)

They are good toilets there!

Foods not bad either :p

Everybody uses those toilets... lol

Frank12 should start charging for them... whoehaaa

Would like to meet Frank12 one day, but am still working on a crazy, religious background/image as this is mandatory apparently...

BelgianK

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
The suggested walk is very nice, but might be a bit tough on the 8-year old, especially if it is real windy that day.

BelgianK

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
The suggested walk is very nice, but might be a bit tough on the 8-year old, especially if it is real windy that day.

BelgianK

You might be right if it is really windy... othervise....Hey...The new generation.... I think a 8 year old should be able to walk 2-3 km, even run it!! If he cannot, he probably played to much xbox and visited Ronald McDonald to often