Extending the tourist card

sarah1101

Apr 27, 2012
United States
I know this has probably been asked numerous times already but please point me in the correct direction for clarification.
My daughter is staying with Abuela, we only purchased the $10 Visa when we arrived on March 28th, she will be staying until June or August and most likely be coming home with a friend of the family. My question is how does her </SPAN>Abuela</SPAN></SPAN> go about getting her visa extended to avoid having to pay at the airport? Can her Abuela do this without the presence of the parents? She has her US passport with her.
She lives about 45 minutes out of SD, if you can also point us in the direction of where to file for this.
I was not aware of dual citizenship (based on her father?s nationality) or we would have filled for that at birth; I am not afraid of him taking the kids and running

Thanks in advance
Sarah
</SPAN></SPAN>

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
Just the passport with the copy of the last immigration seal page is enough. Have to pay at the immigration office in Santo Domingo.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The payment upon exit at the airport will be less than the cost of extension.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It will cost you more to go through all the BS to renew the visa than the fine for the very short overstay. Not a 1000 pesos I think.

HB

MrNiceGuy

Sep 12, 2004
"Officially" the cost is the same in Santo Domingo or the airport but the chances of them not asking for extra at the airport are better I believe as I have never paid for an extension yet. I am a white Canadian and have stayed up to 2 months without be asked for payment at the airport.

Here's a link if you are interested in official rates: Direccion General de Migracion

032 30 days to 3 months 800.00 -
033 3 months to 9 months 1,000.00 -
034 From 9 months to 1 year 2,500.00 -
035 1 year to 1 year and 6 months 4,000.00 -
036 In 1 ? to 2 years 5,000.00 -
037 From 2 years to 2 years and 6 months 6,500.00 -
038 In 2 ? years to 3 years 9,000.00 -
039 2 years to 5 years 14,000.00 -
040 5 years onwards 17,000.00 -

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
FYI: RD$1000 = less than 5 gallons of gasoline or just about 5 gallons of regular diesel fuel.

So you can see that there is no way that a trip to Santo Domingo to "become legal" is worth the effort. Have her enjoy her stay and pay when she leaves...no problema!!

HB

sarah1101

Apr 27, 2012
United States
FYI: RD$1000 = less than 5 gallons of gasoline or just about 5 gallons of regular diesel fuel.

So you can see that there is no way that a trip to Santo Domingo to "become legal" is worth the effort. Have her enjoy her stay and pay when she leaves...no problema!!

HB

That is a great way to put it! LOL Since I may not be the one at the airport with her upon leaving I wanted to avoid a friend from being haggled over my child.
I will take everyones advice and make sure they have the cash they need when going to the airport.
THANKS!!!! :)

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Have you addressed the issue of a child leaving the DR with an adult other than the one which the child entered the DR?
Minors (applicable only when LEAVING Dominican Rep.): irrespective of nationality (until 18 years of age), traveling unaccompanied, or with an adult other than a parent or legal guardian, or with only one parent, or with a different person than they entered the country with, must hold a permit issued in the Dominican Rep. or a letter of consent issued by representation of the Dominican Rep. abroad. For information on how to apply for a permit and documentation required, contact Dominican Rep. representation abroad or the Director General's Office of Immigration, Santo Domingo.

sarah1101

Apr 27, 2012
United States
Have you addressed the issue of a child leaving the DR with an adult other than the one which the child entered the DR?

we are still not sure how we are going about it... I might fly over for a weekend and bring her back. when the time comes closer i will think it through. Is there anything in perticular i should know?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
we are still not sure how we are going about it... I might fly over for a weekend and bring her back. when the time comes closer i will think it through. Is there anything in perticular i should know?

Other than you will need to fly in to fly her out, no!:bunny:

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Not a problem if she entered the DR with you. If she entered with another adult you need a permit for her to leave issued by Dominican Immigration in SD or at a consulate. Her father will have to signoff for the permit. Much easier for foreign child to leave the country with the adult with which she entered.

sarah1101

Apr 27, 2012
United States
Not a problem if she entered the DR with you. If she entered with another adult you need a permit for her to leave issued by Dominican Immigration in SD or at a consulate. Her father will have to signoff for the permit. Much easier for foreign child to leave the country with the adult with which she entered.

how would they know who she entered with? she is an american citizen, she flew on my adult ticket (i paid the minimal fee thru delta for a lap infant).
thanks,

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
how would they know who she entered with? she is an american citizen, she flew on my adult ticket (i paid the minimal fee thru delta for a lap infant).
thanks,
They simply have to check the passports. Her adult guardian and her passports will need the same entry stamp. You can't blame them for not allowing a child to leave the country with an adult, not their parent, with whom they didn't travel into the country. You might get past a lazy Immigration officer, or she might get stuck at the airport and your concern about the departure tax may be your least concern. The rules are quite clear. A child, of any nationality, leaving the DR with an adult not a parent and not one who entered the DR with the child, must obtain a permit at Immigration or a consulate.
See FAQ#2 at http://www.domrep.org/faqconsular.html

Last edited:

sarah1101

Apr 27, 2012
United States
They simply have to check the passports. Her adult guardian and her passports will need the same entry stamp. You can't blame them for not allowing a child to leave the country with an adult, not their parent, with whom they didn't travel into the country. You might get past a lazy Immigration officer, or she might get stuck at the airport and your concern about the departure tax may be your least concern. The rules are quite clear. A child, of any nationality, leaving the DR with an adult not a parent and not one who entered the DR with the child, must obtain a permit at Immigration or a consulate.
See FAQ#2 at Embassy of the Dominican Republic, in the United States

oh i never thought about the Passport stamps, makes enough sence...

sarah1101

Apr 27, 2012
United States
See FAQ#2 at Embassy of the Dominican Republic, in the United States

Looksl ike I would need If they are leaving the country with a different person the authorities of the
General Migration Office will require a legalized authorization letter signed by
both parents.

You can legalize this document at your nearest
Consulate.

I am now assuming I could get this in NYC if i need... thanks.
Sarah