help i need directions

cruzan

May 3, 2006
help,,i need directions from Cabrera to the Ochoa Ferreteria in Santiago...I desperately need to get hardware...
thanks

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Do you know the Moca road?

Go west from Cabrera (to RioSJ) and then take the road over the mountains after Gaspar H, altho you can go there (I never have)... not sure of the name. Just over a little river/bridge, then left
Get a map.

Therre is an OCHOA on the raod into STI... you can't miss it on the right.

Take any route you want but get to the road into STI from Moca.... its on the right.
A smaller store than the main one but good.

There's another new store that looks good.... let another comment

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
ok, though explanation,, but the simplest to find the big ochoa...

drive from Cabrera to Sosua, go through Sosua on the way to the airport...

at a turn on the main road, you will see a sign, pointing to the left, saying Santiago 46km... take this road.

do not shoot me, it is a hellish road, bad shape, but lovely views...

just keep following that road, all the way.... it will take you into STI... follow the road untill you get to a big intersection with traffic lights...

keep going straight...

after about a mile, you will see the small ochoa on your right, and a big La Sirena...

keep going, untill you meet another big intersection with lights... about half a mile...

take a right there...

keep following that road, untill you see a shell gas station on your right... and the warehouses of ochoa as well...

make a u-turn...

take a right, right after the shell...

50 yards, take a right... and you will see the big ochoa right in front of you to the left

enjoy...

BelgianK

Aug 21, 2007
I believe the above directions from BelgianK are much further than the ones from William Webster. Even if the Ochoa on the main road after Licey leading into Santiago does not have what the OP wants, I believe if someone can give good directions from that point into the main Ochoa, it would be much much shorter.

Please correct me if I am wrong. I know you will.

Lindsey

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Correct, LK..... waaaaayyy further.

Every good deed......

Peter, we're talking Cabrera.... your turn is another hour npast mine.

And if youn want pretty... take my Moca road.

Here's what I do when I get lost.... MotoConcho = 100 pesos. tell him where you want to go....

Like a seeing eye dog...............:rambo:

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
To add to WW's directions...the entrance to the Moca-Jamao Road (the overall easiest/shortest route) is about 200 meters past the large ISLA gas station in Sabaneta. This will be about 40 -60 minutes from Cabrera.

The road's in pretty good shape and will take you about 45 minutes to reach the other side. about 2/3 along the way, at the top of the mountain are three restaurants with decent food and amazing views...worth a stop if the weather's good and you're not in a hurry. This road ends at a "T" with a Nativa gas station directly in front of you. Tamboril is to your right. Turn LEFT.

About 5 miles down the road you will see a 3-way intersection with a Texaco gas station on your left...Turn RIGHT...this is the road into Santiago (becomes Av. Juan Pablo Duarte).

The Ochoa will be on your right as WW mentioned, about 7-10 miles down the road, just past that on your left is the new Bellon...MUCH, MUCH better, in my opinion...set-up and staffed like Home Depot/Lowes (not like a Dominican version of Home Depot a la Ochoa).

If you need to get to the main/larger Ochoa, just ask at either that Ochoa or Bellon...it's on the other side of town, but not that hard to get to.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
To add to WW's directions...the entrance to the Moca-Jamao Road (the overall easiest/shortest route) is about 200 meters past the large ISLA gas station in Sabaneta. This will be about 40 -60 minutes from Cabrera.

The road's in pretty good shape and will take you about 45 minutes to reach the other side. about 2/3 along the way, at the top of the mountain are three restaurants with decent food and amazing views...worth a stop if the weather's good and you're not in a hurry. This road ends at a "T" with a Nativa gas station directly in front of you. Tamboril is to your right. Turn LEFT.

About 5 miles down the road you will see a 3-way intersection with a Texaco gas station on your left...Turn RIGHT...this is the road into Santiago (becomes Av. Juan Pablo Duarte).

The Ochoa will be on your right as WW mentioned, about 7-10 miles down the road, just past that on your left is the new Bellon...MUCH, MUCH better, in my opinion...set-up and staffed like Home Depot/Lowes (not like a Dominican version of Home Depot a la Ochoa).

If you need to get to the main/larger Ochoa, just ask at either that Ochoa or Bellon...it's on the other side of town, but not that hard to get to.

Yup, thx David Z.....Bellon is what I couldn't remember...never been there, just read the ads.

Cabrera is 'off the track'........... can't get there from here sort of thing.
Tough life........ I'm thinking of knitting my own underwear...

But then ----- who needs underwear ????

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Just a couple of additions, the distance from RT21 where it ends in San Victor is only about 3 miles from the intersection with the Carretera Duarte that goes to Santiago and the distance from there to the Ferr. Ochoa is more like 10 to 12 miles. The easiest thing to do is go to google maps and type Santiago DR and it will actually show the whole route on the default map.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I just woke up and was really confused with all the directions, but it's starting to clear up now.

ok, though explanation,, but the simplest to find the big ochoa...

drive from Cabrera to Sosua, go through Sosua on the way to the airport...

at a turn on the main road, you will see a sign, pointing to the left, saying Santiago 46km... take this road.

do not shoot me, it is a hellish road, bad shape, but lovely views...

just keep following that road, all the way.... it will take you into STI... follow the road untill you get to a big intersection with traffic lights...
You will be on Ave. Bartolome as you cross the intersection of Ave Estrella Sahdala
At this intersection on your right is the tall "Hace" building

keep going straight...

after about a mile, you will see the small ochoa on your right, and a big La Sirena...
I believe 4 traffic lights from Bartolome and Ave Estrella Sahdala

keep going, untill you meet another big intersection with lights... about half a mile...
You have reached Ave, 27th de febrero

take a right there...
You are turning right onto Ave. 27th de febrero

keep following that road, untill you see a shell gas station on your right (LEFT)... and the warehouses of ochoa as well...
Just after crossing over a bridge

make a u-turn...

When you get back to the Shell station...

take a right, right (immediately) after the shell...

50 yards, take a right... and you will see the big ochoa right in front of you to the left
You are turning right, around the Shell station

enjoy...

BelgianK

It's 3am, I hope I got that right.....

Don

cruzan

May 3, 2006
MANY THANKS
as usual, I can count on great answers. thank you everyone, very much appreciated, now if i could only get my satellite dish and receiver to work properly, i really would be in "paradise". :)

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
MANY THANKS
as usual, I can count on great answers. thank you everyone, very much appreciated, now if i could only get my satellite dish and receiver to work properly, i really would be in "paradise". :)

Now if you only lived in Santiago!

I could probably help you do that!

Oops, have to run, my favorite show is about to start on satellite TV.... :p lol

Don

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
There are actually three (3) large OchoA's in the Santiago area.
(That I am aware of)

(1) The one most referred to is the one in the directions given by belgiank (Ave, Imbert).

(2) The newest that I know of is on Ave. Estrella Sadhala near the intersection of Carretera a Jacagua.

(3) The third is the actual warehouse past Bella Vista (Carretera a Janico).
You kinda need to know what you want as it is not like an actual "store" environment.
(I guess it is still there, I have not been there in many years).

Don

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
help,,i need directions from Cabrera to the Ochoa Ferreteria in Santiago...I desperately need to get hardware...
thanks

Just google map it man... I like to view things on google map and memorize the route without a gps... If you have a smartphone you can use google maps in Santiago if needed.

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
There are actually three (3) large OchoA's in the Santiago area.
(That I am aware of)

(1) The one most referred to is the one in the directions given by belgiank (Ave, Imbert).

(2) The newest that I know of is on Ave. Estrella Sadhala near the intersection of Carretera a Jacagua.

(3) The third is the actual warehouse past Bella Vista (Carretera a Janico).
You kinda need to know what you want as it is not like an actual "store" environment.
(I guess it is still there, I have not been there in many years).

Don

It would be great if the American super hardware stores would step into DR. We would have more selection.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I stand corrected, but in my defence I did not know about the 3th Ochoa... good to know.

BTW... William, I also use the motoconcho trick... lol. 50 to 100 rds is a lot cheaper than driving around for 2 hours...

BelgianK

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I stand corrected, but in my defence I did not know about the 3th Ochoa... good to know.

BTW... William, I also use the motoconcho trick... lol. 50 to 100 rds is a lot cheaper than driving around for 2 hours...

BelgianK

I never intended any "correction", your directions I thought were VERY GOOD.

No one ever mentions the "3rd" place as it is outside the city in the country.
Probably very few that even knows about it, except contractors, engineers, etc.
It's so far off the beaten track that OchoA provides a bus for it's employees.
I have been there and purchased items.

If you were to get to the store on Ave. Imbert early before they open you would see the employees gathering and waiting for the private OchoA bus to take them to work.

I see the Google map calls Ave.Bartolome by the name Ave. Luperon

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
It would be great if the American super hardware stores would step into DR. We would have more selection.

No .. it would be HORRIBLE if the American super hardware stores stepped into the DR.. Home Depot would put Americana and Ochoa completely out of business....

stop thinking of yourselves

and think of the

DOMINICANS

it is THEIR COUNTRY

geez i am getting tired of saying this

again and again and again and again and again and ag