wilson taxi

gert51

Dec 27, 2004
stayed in sosua last july, and was reccommended wilson taxi, tried to contact him again for visit later this month but no luck as yet, does anyone know if he is still available please
thak you

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
As far as I know, he is still doing taxi work although I understand he has now qualified as a lawyer. How did you try to make contact with him - email or telephone?

james

Jan 14, 2002
I have both the current e-mail & Telephone for WIlson. PM me as I am not sure it should be posted online. Jim

May 17, 2011
don't use wilson guzman he takes advantages of tourists. Everytime he took me somewhere he would stop at the gas station and give some excuse that he needed money. He quotes a price then changes it when you get to the destination. I wont be using him anymore. I have a regular driver who I met when I was in DR in 2009 and use him all the time. The driver I use is very honest and does not take advntage of people like wilson. If you want a good driver use Nathan Perez 809 655 0193

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I know a number of people, including myself, who have only had good and honest service from Wilson. Some have been for local trips and others for quite a distance, i.e. Samana peninsula to/ from Sosua.

Maybe some 'tourists' think they know better.....

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
don't use wilson guzman he takes advantages of tourists. Everytime he took me somewhere he would stop at the gas station and give some excuse that he needed money. He quotes a price then changes it when you get to the destination. I wont be using him anymore. I have a regular driver who I met when I was in DR in 2009 and use him all the time. The driver I use is very honest and does not take advntage of people like wilson. If you want a good driver use Nathan Perez 809 655 0193

This is the first time I have heard anything like this. I have known Wilson a long time and have recommended him to many. Many members of DR1 have used his services and until now all reports have been positive.

Regarding stopping at the gas station and wanting part of his money, I am sure that part of it is true. He has done the same when I have gone somewhere with him. But the only reason to question this is if you don't know how life is lived here. Motorists and taxi drivers are accustomed to buying small quantities of gas or diesel at a time. They don't fill up every time they need fuel, like is common in the US. They get a few hundred pesos worth at a time. So when starting off on a long trip, like from Sosua to Samana, they want
to fill up the tank. To do so they ask for some of the money to be paid them for the trip.

If they had more disposable income, they might very well do the same here as in the US. But with gasoline and diesel costing more here than in the US and the income of most people well below that of people in the US, they buy a little at a time

This is not extra money, this is part of the money agreed to. For example, if the price agreed to is RD$3000 and the driver asks for RD$1000 for fuel, then you only pay him RD$2000 when you reach your destination.

This is very common in this country.

Nothing against Sr. Perez and if the OP wants to promote him, that is his privilege. But when you have posters with 1000s of posts on the board and reputations for reliable information speaking positively about
Wilson, I would not take him off the list of Sosua drivers on the basis of one negative post, which is based
partly on a lack of understanding about how much fuel most drivers put in the tank when they go to a gas station.

The same is true in the farmacias and colmados where people buy a few pills at a time or a few eggs, or whatever at a time for the same reason.

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006

My experience with Wilson could not be further from this. As mentioned in my trip report he brought my wife and I from POP to LG and back. Not only is he prompt and professional, he was a great tour guide :) .
Yes, he did ask for $$$ for petrol along the way but he deducted that from the agreed upon amount.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009

If you met your driver in 2009, why did you post the following in Nov. 2011?????
italnstallion99 said:
Taxi Rate to STI Airport

I am staying in costombar. I am3 flying into pop, but I have to fly out of sti. What is the best taxi rate I can probally get for someone to pick me up up in costombar and take me to STI. I'd be willing to pay in us dollar if it makes a difference of saving a few dollars.

If anyone has recommendations please advise

May 17, 2011
The driver I met in 2009 I could not get a hold of and I had a trip planned. I was able to get a hold of him 2 days before my trip and did not need anyone else to fill in. I will only be using my driver for now on as I have other ways to get in touch with him besides his cell phone.

As for wilson maybe he changed his ways i am not sure. But what I can say is he did not deduct the price of fuel from any place he took me. I honestly felt he took advantage of me. He even asked me for 100 dollars us when he took me to POP airport to fly home. I am not using him anymore and I have my reasons. If other people on this forum want to then so be it.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
The driver I met in 2009 I could not get a hold of and I had a trip planned. I was able to get a hold of him 2 days before my trip and did not need anyone else to fill in. I will only be using my driver for now on as I have other ways to get in touch with him besides his cell phone.

So you are highly recommending a guy who doesn't return his cell phone messages?????????????

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

As for wilson maybe he changed his ways i am not sure. But what I can say is he did not deduct the price of fuel from any place he took me. I honestly felt he took advantage of me. He even asked me for 100 dollars us when he took me to POP airport to fly home. I am not using him anymore and I have my reasons. If other people on this forum want to then so be it.

I've been using Wilson since 2001 and never felt he had any ways to change.

Since this is the first time complaints against Wilson of this nature have been posted, I tend to think there is more to the story than we are being told. We'll just have to leave it at that snce Wilson won't be posting his version of what transpired.