Poorest Santo DOmingo Barrios

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The poorest isn't necessarily the most dangerous but usually it is. I've been told by Capitalistas that Los minas is the most dangerous but then they started argueing about it and opinions varied on Cristo Rey or San Carlos...etc.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Anything near the river, the northern part of the city, along the Isabela River or the Ozama River. Places like Guachupita, Gualey, La Barquita....

WHY>>>????????????

HB

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
Because I do extensive research on the Dominican Republic. I have a degree in a related field from a university. I was researching how the poorer parts of the city are connected directly to crime rates. I have noticed that many poor parts of the city do not have higher crime than the richer parts.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Because I do extensive research on the Dominican Republic. I have a degree in a related field from a university. I was researching how the poorer parts of the city are connected directly to crime rates. I have noticed that many poor parts of the city do not have higher crime than the richer parts.

Can you give an example of a poor part that has a lower crime rate than a richer area. That could because in the poor area there is nothing to steal so they have to go to a ruicher area to have success.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

Please post the sources of your data.

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
Please post the sources of your data.

The sources of my data are my local experiences. Some people in some of the poor barrios sleep with their doors completely open. They walk around at any point in time. People do not worry about crime because it hardly ever happens inside of their barrio. Everyone knows everyone and the only crime comes from people from other barrios entering and they know immediately when someone is not from their barrio. There are only a couple of entrances and they know everyone who lives there. On the other hand, I have seen rich neighborhoods where things happen at random moments and everyone sleeps with doors locked and watchmen.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Most are concentrated in the 3rd Circumscription (the northeastern quadrant of the National District - that's the city of Santo Domingo, everything on the other side of the rivers technically belong to other cities named North Santo Domingo, East Santo Domingo, West Santo Domingo, Los Alcarrizos, etc). Then most are cramped along the side of the Isabela and Ozama rivers.

For the past 2 or so decades almost all poor neighborhoods have been losing population and are considerably less dense. The only of the poor neighborhood that was still growing is Domingo Savio, which is between the S?nchez and Bosch bridges (the slum that borders the Ozama river, visible from the Bosch bridge as you enter city). Every other has been declining.

Most of the neighborhoods within the capital that have been gaining population and density are, in effect, middle class areas. A similar process is also occurring in the other municipalities that make up the Greater Santo Domingo area, but at different rates. North Santo Domingo is also the poorest of all and has one of the highest crime rates nationwide, especially when it comes to murders. I don't know if its still the case, but for many years it had the highest murder rate nationwide.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
lots of crime in DR is not related to money but to passion and/or drugs. plenty of both in poor barrios. surely, people know each other but they also know who sleaps with whom and who hides where from a jealous boyfriend. they also know who's selling drugs to whom and at how much, they know who is playing whom.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The sources of my data are my local experiences. Some people in some of the poor barrios sleep with their doors completely open. They walk around at any point in time. People do not worry about crime because it hardly ever happens inside of their barrio. Everyone knows everyone and the only crime comes from people from other barrios entering and they know immediately when someone is not from their barrio. There are only a couple of entrances and they know everyone who lives there. On the other hand, I have seen rich neighborhoods where things happen at random moments and everyone sleeps with doors locked and watchmen.

Ok.. in other words, nothing more than your own personal experience, hardly degree level statistical analysis.

You will find small pockets, a street or closed block that people do not worry about crime amongst each other, but that hardly constitutes an entire barrio and doesn't encompass all those in the surrounding area.

The only people I know that sleep with their doors open in poor barrios are those with no doors.

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009

Excellent point. This is true in many parts of the the US as well. I have family who have lived in a so called "bad area" in New York for over 30 years and routinely leave the house with doors unlocked.

The neighbors all know each other and look out for each other's homes and cars - the idiot who tries to break and enter would find an entire neighborhood after him.

the main crimes are people caught with drugs, domestic fights, tough guys fighting it out on the corners, but thats about it - usually if there is a murder it is someone who was doing something he probably shouldnt have - drug turf related.

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
Also, those areas along the river are prime areas to be gentrified - waterfront condos, promenades and plazas in the future

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I do not want to be offensive, but how exactly did you get a degree if that is the way you investigate matters?

You have not been here very long, but you claim you can deduct such things from personal experience. How? By asking people questions like "how many people were killed in this barrio, and how many did you personally kill?" Or by walking around waving a couple of thousand dollars in your hand, and see in which barrio you were killed, robbed or raped?

Although hardly real statistics (well, maybe later in the article, as I did not read it through completely), this might help you:

https://www.osac.gov/Pages/ContentReportPDF.aspx?cid=10942

BelgianK

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I tend to agree with what has been said here. There are no "yards" here, like in Jamaica, where there is one way in or out and you better know today's 'word', mon or you be in for a haard time.!!!

The barrios of Santo Domingo are full of different entrances and cubby holes.....

You can go to the National Police headquarters and get the statistics per barrio, or to the Ministry of the Interior and Police..

I think you need to adjust your parameters a wee bit...

Live here a while longer...

HB

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
Honestly, I stay out of bad neighborhoods and barrios but I have interviewed people and did research online and in books. I am still learning though. I learn from each post in this forum too. It does fascinate me. I do not go off of my limited experiences because they are biased and inexperienced. I know that I do not know much but I am really trying to learn out of curiosity.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Honestly, I stay out of bad neighborhoods and barrios but I have interviewed people and did research online and in books. I am still learning though. I learn from each post in this forum too. It does fascinate me. I do not go off of my limited experiences because they are biased and inexperienced. I know that I do not know much but I am really trying to learn out of curiosity.

At least you're honest about what you don't know, which is a step in the right direction.

I suggest you go live in the barrio for a while, you might find that the "real" reality is a little different to the "virtual" reality you're living in right now.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Most are concentrated in the 3rd Circumscription (the northeastern quadrant of the National District - that's the city of Santo Domingo, everything on the other side of the rivers technically belong to other cities named North Santo Domingo, East Santo Domingo, West Santo Domingo, Los Alcarrizos, etc). Then most are cramped along the side of the Isabela and Ozama rivers.

For the past 2 or so decades almost all poor neighborhoods have been losing population and are considerably less dense.
The only of the poor neighborhood that was still growing is Domingo Savio, which is between the S?nchez and Bosch bridges (the slum that borders the Ozama river, visible from the Bosch bridge as you enter city). Every other has been declining.

Most of the neighborhoods within the capital that have been gaining population and density are, in effect, middle class areas. A similar process is also occurring in the other municipalities that make up the Greater Santo Domingo area, but at different rates. North Santo Domingo is also the poorest of all and has one of the highest crime rates nationwide, especially when it comes to murders. I don't know if its still the case, but for many years it had the highest murder rate nationwide.

Strange the poor hump like bunnies, making more children than the middle class and the poor neighborhoods are decreasing? You make a lot of sense, NOT.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Strange the poor hump like bunnies, making more children than the middle class and the poor neighborhoods are decreasing? You make a lot of sense, NOT.
Natural population growth has been steadily declining for decades now almost all of it is due to falling birth rates among the lower classes.

Anyway...

crecimiento-poblacional-1981-a-2002.jpg

:rolleyes: