Visiting the DR for between 4 and 6 months

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Here is the sceanrio. Retired couple wants to rent an apartment in the DR from between 4 and 6 months. They are told they need to apply for residency. How much sense does that make?

May 12, 2005
Quit worrying. You are beginning to sound like a broken record. The law has not been finalized and considering the amount of folks who fall into this category something will be in the final draft to accommodate them.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Quit worrying. You are beginning to sound like a broken record. The law has not been finalized and considering the amount of folks who fall into this category something will be in the final draft to accommodate them.

Frank, with all due respect to your moderator status: There are people considering coming to the DR now that are being told this at their local consulate. If this is not discussed, then this will be cast in concrete. Now is the time to point out the ignorance of such a policy. The other threads I have started have been polluted, as most are in message boards to distract from this original topic.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009

Ya no doubt. Let things settle. Nobody can answer your question at the moment so let it be.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Frank, as a moderator you have to express yourself a little bit more correctly. The law has been made in 2004 (law 285-04), the regulations how to apply the law has been decided in 2011 (decree 631-11). What is not decided yet is how to regularize the status of the individual foreigners (transition). And certainly they forgot a rule which would make sense for "snowbirds" or long term tourists. If they don't change the law and rules there is no provision for them.
w or reglemantation

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Some real world examples of the concerns people are having now.

I have a friend who rents condos in Cabarete... this week she had a Canadian couple cancel a 6 month rental for the coming winter due to this.

I also have a friend from Germany who for 10 years has travelled to Cabarete 3 times a year for a total of 15 weeks annually. She recently requested and received a 1 year sabbatical to begin next spring, with intentions to spend about 9 months in Cabarete. Now she's thinking that won't be possible.

I know an owner of 11 rental condos on the north coast worth probably $3 million in total. He travels here for a week or two every month. It seems such frequent travel may pose an issue under new rules... and as he's out of the country for more than 6 months annually, so residency isn't a solution..

I know a kite school owner, Dominican residency, who travels out of the country during low season - more than 6 months annually. In theory, this means a loss of residency status and inability to work at the business.

The new law, while not all bad, will intentionally or unintentionally create hardships if some of these issues aren't addressed quickly. People are starting to act upon now, as to 'just wait and see' could have significant financial repercussions. Hopefully some true clarification is coming soon so that people can plan their lives accordingly. The DR can establish whatever rules it likes, I just hope they find a way to accommodate those that are falling into an abyss with the way the law is currently written.

As an aside, extending a tourist stay from 60 to 120 days with requirement of a medical exam is insane - because if nothing changes, it would require multiple trips to the capital (take tests, return for results & extension, etc). Allow people to go to immigration at the airport and simply request and pay for an extension is fine, or allow them to get the extension on arrival so that no return visit is necessary to get permission to stay 120 days.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
'Just wait and see'

'Just wait and see'
.... so saith the blind man

How many of those that have this attitude have property in the D.R.
.... and/or are "snowbirds" with a lot to lose?

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
Honestly, they might want to move to Puerto Rico, Panama or Costa Rica. They see that the residence crap law is already a problem. Just wait until a bunch of dishonest people try to short change them and lie and cheat them out of money on a daily basis. They will not be able to drink the tap water, it will be almost impossible to drive and the reputation of the island may taint them and people might think they are there with bad intentions or something. Sorry, I am just a little angry with the DR about the law. I actually was going to buy a home there myself within a year. What a pleasant surprise this law is.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Honestly, they might want to move to Puerto Rico, Panama or Costa Rica...
Maybe all of them can't move that easily because they have property and/ or other investment here? Yes, if you do not own much here you can leave anytime.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
Here is the sceanrio. Retired couple wants to rent an apartment in the DR from between 4 and 6 months. They are told they need to apply for residency. How much sense does that make?

~This may be helpful being it DOES NOT state extension, rather extensions, and it DOES NOT state that only one extension can be granted.....

Increased period of stay and new document requirements for business visitors and tourists. The new law increases the admission period for business visitors and tourists to 60 days, up from the current 30-day limit. Extensions of up to 60 days are available, provided the foreign national undergoes a medical exam and shows confirmed travel reservations or other proof of final departure from the Dominican Republic.

~Not an answer I know, but perhaps a loop hole?? Show up with travel documents and a return ticket home six months from arrival, after first 60 days apply for extension, then another there after.....unfortunately at this moment it is anyones guess, it will not be for at least six months until we actually find out what will happen if one overstays their visa....will it be a slap on the wrist fine?? or Deportation with no hope of returning??

~Good luck to each and every one of us:tired:

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I'd relax, if I were you.

Getting residency, from what I hear, just ain't all that hard, and comes with all sorts of benefits. It is NOT the same as applying for citizenship. I just read the requirements put up by Mr. Guzman in the legal section, and honestly, what is the big deal?

In the US, most states require non-students to apply for residency within 4-8 weeks of arrival. The DR government has a vested interest in being aware of and tracking foreign nationals, just like the folk in our home countries. They are also giving preferential status to those with substantial assets, or some form of permanent income, just like other countries.

So, forgive me if I don't understand why paying a lawyer a few thousand pesos is tantamount to the world coming to an end.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009

Getting residency, from what I hear, just ain't all that hard, and comes with all sorts of benefits. It is NOT the same as applying for citizenship. I just read the requirements put up by Mr. Guzman in the legal section, and honestly, what is the big deal?

In the US, most states require non-students to apply for residency within 4-8 weeks of arrival. The DR government has a vested interest in being aware of and tracking foreign nationals, just like the folk in our home countries. They are also giving preferential status to those with substantial assets, or some form of permanent income, just like other countries.

So, forgive me if I don't understand why paying a lawyer a few thousand pesos is tantamount to the world coming to an end.

You want the reality of it? Ok, here it is.

As a Canadian, you are NOT allowed to be away from Canada for more than 7 months or you lose your free health care. In order to get your health care reinstated you have to wait 3 months.

The new DR law states that if you are away from the DR for 6 months or more you will lose your residency.

It will be impossible for any Canadian snowbird to now visit for the complete winter months. They will either lose their DR residency or free health care. It's just not going to happen.

So you are correct, getting your residency isn't much of a big deal, but keeping it will be impossible.

And you are very wrong about paying a lawyer a few thousand pesos. The lawyers are charging USD 1000 and up.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006

Getting residency, from what I hear, just ain't all that hard, ...........

KEEPING it is a different story...

For "Snowbirds", residency is NOT an option.

If you are out of the country for longer then 6 months you lose your residency (Exceptions apply).

Those "Exceptions" are what you have to explain to Migracion.
EVERY time, and BEFORE it happens !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck with that.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
This is about people going on extended Vacation

This is NOT what I am talking about. This is is about people that want to VISIT the DR on VACATION for 4 to 6 months. There is NO REASON they should have to deal withe RESIDENCY or any other hassle that entails them having to pay LAWYERS or making trips to SANTO DOMINGO to allow that to happen. That said, clarification is needed on what happens if people do over stay. Residency costs thousands of dollars, not thousands of pesos. I don't give dislikes often, but I did for this post, DRob.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
This is NOT what I am talking about. This is is about people that want to VISIT the DR on VACATION for 4 to 6 months. There is NO REASON they should have to deal withe RESIDENCY or any other hassle that entails them having to pay LAWYERS or making trips to SANTO DOMINGO to allow that to happen. That said, clarification is needed on what happens if people do over stay. Residency costs thousands of dollars, not thousands of pesos. I don't give dislikes often, but I did for this post, DRob.

The main problem with residency is not the cost, but how long it takes,
; 6-8 months is far too long considering that they know the results of the medical within days/weeks and the police report is already done. Residency if you do it yourself will only cost 1000's of pesos, not dollars. Perhaps there needs to be a extended tourist Visa that one can purchase - for $100 per extra month.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The main problem with residency is not the cost, but how long it takes,
; 6-8 months is far too long considering that they know the results of the medical within days/weeks and the police report is already done. Residency if you do it yourself will only cost 1000's of pesos, not dollars. Perhaps there needs to be a extended tourist Visa that one can purchase - for $100 per extra month.

How many Canadians (or those from other countries) are able to understand enough Spanish to get residency on their own? Furthermore, this thread is NOT about residency. It is about a way for people to enjoy an extended vacation in the DR without having to deal with such hassles. Granting 6 month visitor's visas would be the simplest answer.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
How many Canadians (or those from other countries) are able to understand enough Spanish to get residency on their own? Furthermore, this thread is NOT about residency. It is about a way for people to enjoy an extended vacation in the DR without having to deal with such hassles. Granting 6 month visitor's visas would be the simplest answer.

I hear what you are saying but just take a second a think what you would like to happen. Look at it like this in a 2 yr span family A has spent 1 yr in Canada and 1 yr in Dominican Republic. While family B has spent a total of 3 weeks in March in a 2 yr span. Do you see the BIG difference one of this families is in fact is living in the Dominican Republic on the same visa requirements that allows a true tourist to enter the country.

If you spend 6 months in Canada and 6 months in the Dominican Republic are you not in fact LIVING in both countries just different months. Let say a person wanted to do some research on the Dominican Republic for their PhD and needed to spend 8 months in the DR. All they would have to do is go to their local Dominican Consulate and apply for this type of visa very simple, but you want to find a "loophole" that the DR is trying to close.

Aug 21, 2007
My understanding is that there is an organized group of attorneys who represent ex-pats who have planned a meeting with the powers that be to discuss a couple of issues regarding the new law. One issue mentioned to me was that the new law requires re-submission of birth and marriage certificates when renewing residency. They plan on requesting this requirement be done away with, as it makes no sense, since these documents have already been submitted once.

I recommend those of you with specific complaints such as Windeguy's go to one of the local lawyers representing ex-pats, ask for a list of those attorneys active with this cause, and petition to them to also present your case, creating a 6 month visa.

We can complain on dr1 until kingdom come, but that doesn't accomplish anything. However, if you talk with those who DO have a voice, you may have a better chance of having your concern at least heard by those in power to act on it.

Lindsey

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I hear what you are saying but just take a second a think what you would like to happen. Look at it like this in a 2 yr span family A has spent 1 yr in Canada and 1 yr in Dominican Republic. While family B has spent a total of 3 weeks in March in a 2 yr span. Do you see the BIG difference one of this families is in fact is living in the Dominican Republic on the same visa requirements that allows a true tourist to enter the country.

If you spend 6 months in Canada and 6 months in the Dominican Republic are you not in fact LIVING in both countries just different months. Let say a person wanted to do some research on the Dominican Republic for their PhD and needed to spend 8 months in the DR. All they would have to do is go to their local Dominican Consulate and apply for this type of visa very simple, but you want to find a "loophole" that the DR is trying to close.

You are missing my point. I am talking about someone that wants to be in the DR from between 4 to 6 months. This is someone who does not visit the DR every year but wants to take an extended vacation and maybe someday in the future want to visit the DR again and not be barred from doing so. The 6 month visitors visa would solve that problem.

The issue of person staying for 6 month in the DR and then 6 months in another country each year is a separate but related issue. I am not talking about that in this thread, but it is important and also needs to be addressed.

Lindsey, it is good to hear that there are lawyers here who recognize these problems. Who are the lawyers that people can contact? I certainly hope that Dr. Guzman is one of them.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I contacted the consulate in Washington DC and she knew nothing about any change, other than temporary residency can no longer be done in the DR. She reverted to tourist card and overstay fee, so I, like you, am one of those people very interested in the outcome of definitive information.