1st New York Bachata Festival - Labor Day Weekend

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Big Bachata festival in Manhattan - at the Hilton Hotel - over Labor Day Weekend, all info on the website. Sounds like THE place to be. American Airlines is offering a 5% discount if you fly in for the festival [details and code are on the website], and the Hilton has discounted rooms..
<big style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; ">
THE 1ST ANNUAL NEW YORK BACHATA FESTIVAL</big>

The Ultimate Dance Vacation Experience in New York City featuring 3 days and 4 nights of:
✓ Latin dance workshops by local and world renowned instructors to help take your skills to the next level.
✓ Breathtaking performance showcases by the best dance groups and couples around.
✓ Live concert series featuring world class Latin Music bands and the hottest DJs in the business.
✓ The Kizomba/Zouk International Room hosted by Kizomba NYC & Zouk NY.
✓ An all out professional Bachata competition with cash prize.
✓ Non-stop dancing excitement!!!

All this and more right smack in the heart of New York City, just walking distance from Central Park and Rockefeller Center, only a block away from Radio City Music Hall at the luxurious Hilton New York Hotel Labor Day Weekend.​

<big style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; ">Bachateame Mama!</big>
New York City Bachata Festival - Home | New York City

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
What?! 1ST Annual...? They have had other bachata festivals in the area, some have been called 'Bachatazo' and such.

And for a moment I thought, "Diablo! Zacarias, Antony Santos, y Frank Reyes - one after the other!" Well, not even close.

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
And for a moment I thought, "Diablo! Zacarias, Antony Santos, y Frank Reyes - one after the other!" Well, not even close.

You're talking a real bachata event; that is not what the festival is. Basically, NYC has a Salsa Congress every Labor Day Weekend. The person that runs the Congress noticed the growing popularity of bachata and is dedicating one hall of the Salsa Congress to bachata. There will also be Kizomba/Zouk, mostly for salseros that will be in town from Europe because they dance a lot of that there.

This is more like the ballroomatization of bachata where they will have workshops, etc. using complicated swing dance/salsa type turn patterns and shines in the bachata dancing. Nothing wrong with this, but it is usually overkill if you are in the DR or Washington Heights trying to dance with the average Dominican who learned to dance from friends and family.

This event will be mostly non-Dominicans, which is not necessarily good or bad. There will be people there from all over the world, including a lot from Europe, primarily for the salsa.

For a more grassroots experience in NYC, I would check out artists such as the ones you named when they come to NYC and/or check things out around the time of one of the Dominican parades.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Perfect summary Viajero (I used to be in the salsa scene and know people who will be performing in the Bachata festival).

I call that the Salsaization of Bachata, lol (never seen Dominican spins dancing Bachata). It made me understand how old-school feel about the salseros/as from the schools.

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
Bachata + kizomba(angola) + zouk(West indies) = WTF??

The best is they invented a "bachasutra".

Want a festival with Juan Luis Guerra, Romeo Santos, Joe Veras, Zacarias Ferreira, Frank Reyes, Yoskar Sarante, Luis Miguel del Amargue, Monchy y Nathalia?

Where is that: Milano summer 2012, Latino Americando

Barnab?

Gilles Beaulieu

Apr 7, 2010
It is a forum about the Rep?blica Dominicana or a forum about New-York ???
A moderator from New-York ,must start is forum from New-York.
And give us news from the Rep?blica Dominicana,.

If I want some news from New-York, I know were is a forum from New-York.
Here the American guy take this forum like a forum American and not like a forum Dominicana.
Wake up poor people.
Make your forum and let the people talk about the Rep?blica Dominica.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It is a forum about the Rep?blica Dominicana or a forum about New-York ???
A moderator from New-York ,must start is forum from New-York.
And give us news from the Rep?blica Dominicana,.

If I want some news from New-York, I know were is a forum from New-York.
Here the American guy take this forum like a forum American and not like a forum Dominicana.
Wake up poor people.
Make your forum and let the people talk about the Rep?blica Dominica.

Pay attention! This is the DOMINICANS ABROAD FORUM.