Canadian in need of visa advice!! (new law problems)

slb1

Jul 1, 2012
Hi,

I am new to this thread and joined hoping to have this very specific question answered!

I have been hired by a company in DR and therefore need to apply for a Residence Visa. However, there is so much confusion with the Embassy in my own country, as well as in the DR, and even with the company I am hired for having a lawyer looking into it, NOONE has been able to figure out the actual procedure and what is required to get this visa! Each embassy/lawyer/government has different information. Has anyone successfully obtained one since the implementation of the new law, and if so, what steps did you go through? I will be coming from Canada. There has been some suggestion that I just come for now on a Tourist visa and work (technically illegally)and they would try to apply for the visa with me already in the country, citing the confusion as the reason why I did not get it before coming over. Any idea what legal implications are if I got caught working without a proper visa? Does ANYONE know the actual confirmed steps to apply for the residence visa under the new law?

Thank you

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
I am also interested in knowing this, as I contacted the DR Embassy in Canada, and they didn't have a clue. I have been married to a Dominican for almost 2 yrs and they said I should try to obtain residency through the marriage, and to apply here. Then the nice lady asked me to email all my findings to them because they hadn't a clue about the new law.
So if anyone has any information please share it.....thanks

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Residency in the dominican republic under the new immigration regulations

RESIDENCY IN THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC
UNDER THE NEW IMMIGRATION REGULATIONS
Prepared by
Guzm?n Ariza
Attorneys at Law
Beginning June 1, 2012, residency status in the Dominican Republic is governed by
Immigration Law No. 285-04 and Immigration Regulation No. 631-11.
Foreign nationals are prohibited by statute from entering the Dominican Republic for
residency purposes in the following cases:
1) Contagious illness threatening to public health, except, under certain requirements, when
sponsored by relatives living in the DR.
2) Mental illness or physical disabilities, with certain exceptions.
3) Conviction for a crime (drugs, human trafficking, prostitution, terrorism, and other serious
offences).
4) Previous deportation without reentry permit or prohibition from entering the country.
Foreign nationals seeking residency in the Dominican Republic fall into two categories: a)
those who may apply immediately for permanent residency; and b) those who first must apply first
for temporary residency. The following applicants may apply immediately for permanent residency
status without having to previously obtain temporary residency status:
1) Investors of at least 200,000 USD in local businesses (including free zones and government
contracts) or in local financial instruments.
2) Retirees with a monthly pension of at least 1,500 USD (plus 250 USD per dependent).
3) Applicants with monthly income of at least 2,000 USD for five years or more (rentistas).
4) Applicants related to Dominicans or to foreigners with permanent residency status in DR (spouses
and children).
The application process is essentially the same for both temporary and permanent residency,
except for some additional documents required in permanent residency applications. The first step
is to apply for a residency visa at the Dominican Consulate nearest to the applicant?s domicile. It is
no longer possible to apply for residency from within the Dominican Republic, as was usually done
before. Requirements for the visa application are the following:
1) Pictures of the applicant
2) Original passport valid for at least a stay of 60 days in the DR.
Page 1 of 3
3) Documents justifying the granting of the visa. For example, work contract with a Dominican
company.
4) Medical certificate from the health authorities of the country of domicile of the applicant.
5) Criminal record certificate from the authorities of the country of domicile of the applicant.
6) Photocopy of the national I.D. of the applicant, and, if the applicant resides in a third country,
photocopy of his/her residency card in the third country.
7) Birth certificate. If in a language other than Spanish, the certificate must be translated by a legal
translator and authenticated at the Consulate. Both the original and the translation into Spanish must
be filed with the application.
8) Marriage certificate, if applicable. If in a foreign language. The same requirements for birth
certificates apply.
9) Letter of guarantee signed by a Dominican or a permanent resident of the DR.
10) Documents justifying the applicant?s solvency.
Foreign documents must be apostilled or legalized at the Dominican Consulate depending
on the jurisdiction. Documents in a language other than Spanish must be translated by the Consulate.
Law No. 285-04 mandates that residency applicants must obtain local insurance to cover
medical and repatriation expenses. However, this requirement has been temporarily waived by the
Immigration Department.
Residency applications may include dependents such as a spouse and children, provided that
the proper documentation is attached (birth certificates, marriage certificate, passports, pictures, etc.).
Criminal record certificates are only required of dependents of legal age.
The residency visa is good for only one entry into the Dominican Republic for an initial
period of 60 days. The cost of the application is 90 USD, or 90 ? in the Euro Zone.
Residency visas are approved by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Santo Domingo. If the
visa is approved, the Consulate will stamp the residency visa on the applicant?s passport. The
application file will then be forwarded to the Immigration Department for processing. It is highly
advisable that applicants keep a copy of the complete visa application file, including translations and
authentications.
Within 30 days of his/her arrival in the Dominican Republic, the applicant must go to the
Immigration Department with his/her passport to sign application forms, register fingerprints and
undergo the required medical tests.
It is estimated that processing time for residency applications will be at least between four
and six months from the date of the applicant signs the application at the Immigration Department.
Upon approval of his/her application as a resident, the applicant will receive a temporary or
permanent residency card and a c?dula de identidad (national I.D.). In both cases, residents must
hold current passports at all times.
Page 2 of 3
Temporary residency is granted for one year. Applications for renewal must be made in
person within thirty days before the expiration date. Temporary residents may apply for permanent
residency after 5 years, within 45 days before the expiration date of their temporary residency card.
The applications properly filed at the Immigration Department before June 1, 2012, will
processed under the old rules,without the applicant having to obtain residency visa.
Permanent residents must renew their residency card after one year; subsequent cards will
be renewable every four years, except for retirees and rentistas who must renew every two years.
After ten years, permanent residents will be issued a definitive residency card, not subject to renewal.
An annual residency fee, however, will still have to be paid.
An applicant wishing to renew his/her temporary or permanent residency must provide the
Immigration Department with a passport valid for at least 18 months, residency card, c?dula,
pictures, local police certificate, letter of guarantee, etc. To renew his/her permanent residency, the
applicant must also undergo a new medical exam, and justify that the conditions under which
residency was originally granted have not changed (employment, investment, pension, etc.).
Residents must obtain a special re-entry permit if their residency cards will expire while they
are out of the Dominican Republic. Residents must also inform the Immigration Department of any
change of domicile.
As a temporary measure, foreign nationals whose provisional residencies have expired will
have until August to file for permanent residency under the old rules. The same will apply to those
with expired permanent residences who, therefore, need a renewal. If they do not file within this
time frame, they'll lose their status as residents.
Permanent residents may apply for citizenship after two years as permanent residents.
Investors and spouses of Dominican nationals may apply after six months.
It is illegal for nonresidents to work in the DR. Employers of nonresident workers will be
subject to fines. Illegal workers are subject to deportation.

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
info re Canada Dr Consulate

I have a friend in Montreal who received a detailed document from the DR Consulate in Ottawa outlining the steps that needed to be done. Not sure if it will will change but it is a starting point. I would for sure try to do this procedure before you leave. They say it only takes 25 days to get it but it will take you awhile to get all your documents translated and apostiled.
Dave,- send this guy your stuff
Myrna

slb1

Jul 1, 2012
I have a friend in Montreal who received a detailed document from the DR Consulate in Ottawa outlining the steps that needed to be done. Not sure if it will will change but it is a starting point. I would for sure try to do this procedure before you leave. They say it only takes 25 days to get it but it will take you awhile to get all your documents translated and apostiled.
Dave,- send this guy your stuff
Myrna

I received that information as well, but when my DR lawyer looked it over with someone at the Embassy AND an Employment Minister out there, there were still confused and unsure if this would actually result in residency and couldn't confirm the procedure. The DR Consulate quotes me around $650 to get all the forms etc. processed... and then after all that it might not even be accurate...
Has your friend in Montreal been successful with this??

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
My friend in Montreal is just in the process,- no submission as we speak. You will have to do the documents whether in Canada or in the DR. A lot of the 650$ is translating and certifying (apostile) Get started with your documents which you will need if you apply in Canada or if you decide to wait till you are in the DR.