Translations and Single Status Affidavits

dumbusername

Jul 6, 2012
Hello all,
I am in the process of getting married. After reading the US Embassy's website for requirements to wed here, I thought I brought with me months ago everything that I needed. I have my birth certificate complete with apostille stamp. By their wording, I was under the assumption I could complete the single status affidavit here. One lawyer has told me this is not true (however he also told me I need 7 witnesses). Needless to say his services won't be needed.
Now I'm wondering if I can complete the single status affidavit, and have it notarized by a notario here, or if I I need an American one, can utilize the notary services in the American consulate? I would hate to have to spend another 800$ to do the roundtrip flight just for a piece of paper.

Second, I need my birth certificate translated and possibly the Affidavit . I live in the Punta Cana area. Does anyone know of a place? Or can I just do this on my own and again have it notarized by a notario?

Help! I'm more than frustrated!

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Recognized legal translator in Punta Cana
Traductor.com.do - Traducciones de texto, subt?tulos e int?rpretes personales
info@traductor.com.do
tel, 829 348 2742

for the affidavits you need a lawyer you can trust and it'll probably cost a couple of hundred bucks, you cnt get it the same place as the wife, they said i could but wasnt so. you can use a local guy not so familiar with international dealings but weather it will stand up is a bit of a gamble. infact if i was going to do it all again id take guzmans offer to take care of everything down to the wedding appointment for 600bucks. the headaches were just not worth it, and the running around after my own tail even once i thought i had things in place was incredible. cancellations, knockbacks, backhanders, jeesh!!!

dumbusername

Jul 6, 2012
Thanks! I noticed there's an office near by. I might get in contact. I'm getting a serious headache over this marriage process.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Tell me about it brother, what seemed on paper initially to be pretty straight forward ended up costing me very much more than anticipated, aged me dramatically and I sill ended up having to fly back to the UK before we could go ahead.
I couldnt understand why everyone was telling me to get a lawyer then all i need to do is turn up on the day, but believe me, like me you will wish you had in the end.

Good luck and try to keep cool, its not easy!!