Buying a house where the town holds title to the land

rover

Aug 19, 2007
I've heard of this in municipalities where houses are bought and sold hold but title to the land the house sits on is held by the town or municipality.

In some cases people buy the house and then later buy the land from the town/municipality.

Anyone have any experience or insight to offer on these transactions ?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It can be done. Mr. AE's parents built a 5 bedroom home in Santo Domingo in the 60's on government owned land. They owned the house, gov't owned the land. About 5 years ago, Mr. AE went to the gov't. and purchased the land [I think it was a little over a million pesos] and took a mortgage which he and one of his brothers pay each month [about 15,000 pesos]. The whole process was fairly simple.

Tonydomrep

Feb 22, 2009
Why looking for problems when you can do it more easy... just by land and house with a title!!! The end of the history probably you get problems and the country again is the bad guy...

rover

Aug 19, 2007
Why looking for problems when you can do it more easy... just by land and house with a title!!! The end of the history probably you get problems and the country again is the bad guy...

The place I am looking in, as well as many of other places in the D.R. the"owners" of the house do not own the land the town does. This is not uncommon in the D.R. and just wanted to hear about others expieriences that may have gone through with this process.

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
We purchased a house in SD where the land belonged to the UASD. A few years laters we purchased the land from the UASD. I have heard that in Boca Chica land belongs to the town, don't know if it's true, it's a guy selling a house that told me that.

Barnab?