Buying a second hand vehicle?

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
If I was to buy a second hand vehicle, a private sale, what steps would and could I take to be sure the documents of the vehicle are the real documents and all is above board before i handed over the money. Preferably without causing offense to the seller.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
use the services of a car dealer - they will obtain all the appropriate paperwork for you which includes a certificate from the police that it's not been stolen and then transfer of the matricula (title) to your name. It will probably cost you an additional few dollars but worth it in my opinion.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
use the services of a car dealer - they will obtain all the appropriate paperwork for you which includes a certificate from the police that it's not been stolen and then transfer of the matricula (title) to your name. It will probably cost you an additional few dollars but worth it in my opinion.

Totally agree, even many Dominicans have bought a car that was sold by somebody that wasn't the owner.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Many many posts covering this topic, use the search, it's your friend.

Use CarFax and run the VIN number of the car.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Along the same lines I bought a car last year from a dealer in La Vega and am still making payments to him, the paperwork doesn't have my name onit at all, just the dealer's. Am I getting hung here?

When the car is paid in full he will sign it over to you. Pretty much the same in any country. At least we hope he does.

pas

Jun 7, 2004
Along the same lines I bought a car last year from a dealer in La Vega and am still making payments to him, the paperwork doesn't have my name onit at all, just the dealer's. Am I getting hung here?

that is normale...
becuase the moment your name is on the paper..
and you would stop paying...
the dealer has no change getting the car back from you..

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Remember CarFax only works on cars from North America! I've purchased a BMW Diesel from Spain that CarFax never heard of. Thankfully it was from a close friend and the car is awesome.

That said, CarFax is great to prevent you from accidentially purchasing a totaled Katrina waterlogged wreck (which seem to have almost floated here!)

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
Derfish i have done whsat you are doing twice and at the end of payments the maticula is in your name do not worry!