Can a Permanent-Resident use the services of Politur ?

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
I remember how I went to Politur for help a few times, and they were very friendly and in one case even helpfull.
Some actually spoke English.

My question is now that I'm a Permanent-Resident could I still go to them for help whenever I have trouble with the locals, or is it not legal for me to do so anymore and I am doomed to only use the services of the National Police.

If possible I would like someone who is well informed on this issue to answer.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Of course you can request their help. Whether you're a permanent resident or not does not take away the fact that you're a foreigner and they're there to provide service to foreigners. Besides, the only way they could know you're a permanent resident is if you show them your card (not that it would make a difference anyhow).

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You can still go to them. They aren't going to ask you if you are a permanent resident. Knowing you are a foreigner is enough.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
I remember how I went to Politur for help a few times, and they were very friendly and in one case even helpfull.
Some actually spoke English.

What sort of things would they help you with?

(I know it sounds like a newbie question, but it's been ingrained in me to not seek help from the police while in the DR.)

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
What sort of things would they help you with?

(I know it sounds like a newbie question, but it's been ingrained in me to not seek help from the police while in the DR.)

They can help relieve you of your money.

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
Interesting replies.

I asked this because they are technically the Tourist-Police, made to assist tourists and thus help continue the flow of Dominican tourism.

The status of a Permanent-Resident means that you are NOT a tourist in the country but a Permanent-Resident, no different from a full fledged Dominican citizen (with the exception of not being able to vote).

While one could always hide their P-R identity from them at first, but should things get more complicated in whatever situation may arise and you end up showing them your Cedula, how will you look in the end ?
Like a bit of a dishonest person
don't you think ?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Interesting replies.

I asked this because they are technically the Tourist-Police, made to assist tourists and thus help continue the flow of Dominican tourism.

The status of a Permanent-Resident means that you are NOT a tourist in the country but a Permanent-Resident, no different from a full fledged Dominican citizen (with the exception of not being able to vote).

While one could always hide their P-R identity from them at first, but should things get more complicated in whatever situation may arise and you end up showing them your Cedula, how will you look in the end ?
don't you think ?

A foreigner with a permanent residence status is still a foreigner. Now if you were to have your Dominican citizenship, it might be slightly different. In all the encounters I've had to far with the Politur, they've never once asked if a person was a permanent resident or not.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Their role is: (taken from the Politur website Polic?a Tur?stica > Sobre Nosotros > Misi?n y Visi?n

Misi?n
Proporcionar y garantizar la seguridad ciudadana en el sector tur?stico dominicano, mediante acciones de prevenci?n, protecci?n y orientaci?n hacia los turistas nacionales y/o extranjeros que visitan las zonas tur?sticas del pa?s, manteniendo un sentido consecuente del cumplimiento de las leyes establecidas.

If you don't speak Spanish, to summarise, it says more or less to guarantee the safety of citizens in the tourist areas, whether the people there are local tourists or foreigners visiting the tourist areas.

Sounds like when called tourist police it doesn't mean police for tourists, it means police who are based in tourist areas.

Where I live there are no Politur, as it is not a tourist area. It doesn't mean that there are no foreigners or tourists though.

And I agree with above posters, once a foreigner always a foreigner and if you get killed the press will usually call you a tourist.

Matilda

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Ok Matild beat me to it but I'll still leave my post up

Interesting replies.

This is correct.

This is incorrect and misinformation.

don't you think ?
There is no need to hide that you are a permanent resident. Politur is a public entity charged with the task or protecting all Dominican tourist area and all tourist both national and foreign.

Politur said:
Misi?n

Proporcionar y garantizar la seguridad ciudadana en el sector tur?stico dominicano, mediante acciones de prevenci?n, protecci?n y orientaci?n hacia los turistas nacionales y/o extranjeros que visitan las zonas tur?sticas del pa?s, manteniendo un sentido consecuente del cumplimiento de las leyes establecidas.

Source: Polic?a Tur?stica > Sobre Nosotros > Misi?n y Visi?n

NotLurking

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Interesting replies.

don't you think ?

You are still a foreigner and you are not a Dominican citizen.

But, hey, if you are uncomfortable using their services because you think there is something sneaky about it, don't use them.

It doesn't bother the rest of us, however.

I don't know what more you are looking for than what you got. Now do what you think is best for you.

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
Thanks Matilda, now that's exactly what I was looking for, a well informed answer.
Unlike the smart-alek remarks of some bored poster.

Thanks again.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What is incorrect about this that you call it misinformation? I see nothing wrong in the statement below as it stands:

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Hispanola

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
What is incorrect about this that you call it misinformation? I see nothing wrong in the statement below as it stands:

Well, yes, technically the above statement erroneously state that a Dominican citizen or resident can not be a tourist in the Dominican Republic, hence, misinformation. No? Being a Dominican citizen or resident doesn't ban or otherwise exclude a person from being a tourist, this is not a dichotomy you can actually be both: Dominican citizen or resident and a tourist in the DR.

In the words of Politur:
Misi?n

Note the following part:
hacia los turistas nacionales y/o extranjeros que visitan las zonas tur?sticas del pa?s

Source: Polic?a Tur?stica > Sobre Nosotros > Misi?n y Visi?n

tour?ist/ˈto͝orist/
Noun: A person who is traveling or visiting a place for pleasure.
Synonyms: tripper - sightseer - traveller - visitor - traveler

Source: Google

NotLurking