Dominican day parade in philadelphia next sunday

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The Dominican Day Parade is in Philadelphia next/this Sunday, August 26th.

Mr. AE and I are going, will anyone else be there?

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I'm a transplanted Philly boy (now near Pittsburgh). Didn't know there was a Dominican Day parade there either. Very interesting!!!

MrTee12

Apr 4, 2010
My wife and I went 2 years ago. In Philly, Puerto Ricans rule. Their parade is huge and televised. The Dominican Parade is a lot smaller and not as publicized. Maybe a few hundred people showed up. They had a stage where a few musicians played music. People danced along. Of course there were a good number of vendors, plenty of flags, t-shirts, and other trinkets sold.

Details are still a bit hazy, but the parade starts on Aramingo Avenue, probably at the intersection of East Lehigh Avenue, and ends at at West Lehigh Avenue and American Street, where the festival will take place. Further details as they become available.
Realizan preparativos para Desfile y Festival Dominicano en Filadelfia

2010 video of parade
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW5OoPKJAV0
2008 video of parade
parada dominicana philadelphia raulin rosendo - YouTube

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Thanks MrTee. I'm going to try to get there. So right about the PR presence in Philly. The Dominican community is very small in comparison.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Sorry for not responding sooner, had to go to Long Island for a few days to attend a funeral.

Yes, as MrTee2 said, the bandstand/festival is at American and Lehigh. Our son is performing with his bachata group around 2 pm and we will be there.

Will post photos of parade on Monday. Meanwhile, hoping that the nor'easter they're forecasting misses us or gets there late.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
They're expecting rain this afternoon, so the Dominican Day Parade in Philly has been cancelled - postponed until September 9th.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I've just been told that the Dominican Day Parade will be held in Philadelphia on September 16th [not the 9th!].

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
@ AlterEgo.. do you know what time the parade starts?

It seems the parade starts at 10 a.m., I'll find out where it begins and post it. The entertainment begins around 2 p.m. at Lehigh and American where the bandstand will be. I "presume" that's the end of the parade..... I'm getting the flyer sent to me, will try to repost it.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We spent the day in Philadelphia, weather was perfect, good entertainment, loads of Dominicans (and quite a few Puerto Ricans too). Here are some photos:

GEDC0755.jpgGEDC0756.jpgGEDC0758.jpgGEDC0762.jpgGEDC0772.jpg